Share This Page:

PRMC Assault Course Pics HERE!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
SCUD

Post by SCUD »

If you want an idea of what you're letting yourself in for on PRMC, click http://www.matswebsite.com/rmpics to see lots pictures of the assault course you'll be doing.

Cheers;
MaT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scud on 2002-03-07 04:47 ]</font>
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

I had always wandered what the tarzan assault course included.I being a little dodgy with heights am now relieved ,it isnt as bad as i had thought.Do you know what average height of the 'rope course' are ?

Around 20ft or so i wauld think.
SCUD

Post by SCUD »

Yeah it's around 20ft. It's a scary though - I don't particularly like heights. But it really wasn't a problem at all. The ropes are especially easy - the way you're shown to cross them is such that you don't even feel as if you could fall.

Cheers;
Mat (scud)
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Dear Mr Cronkilla
If as you say you are a bit dodgy with hieghts, you had better try and get a grip of it now before you join.
When you start the cliff climbing phase of training (which is a fair way into the training sylabus) you don't want to have to bail out because you're scared of hieghts and have wasted all that time and effort getting that far into the course.
When you get to a unit some of the climbing and absieling from choppers will make the stuff you did in training look like childs play.
So if you feel that way I suggest trying to join a local climbing club or go to a Gym with a rock wall. Working at hieght is all about confidence in yourself.
I used to find hieghts a bit off putting when I was young,then I started climbing when I was 16,after that I had no problems
And when I joined up it was just one less thing to worry about,and became fun.
All the best
SH
As the old saying goes,"hieghts don't hurt you, its the sudden stop at the bottom that
hurts"
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

I wauldnt necesarily say i was off put by heights. I just get a little causious around them.I am going to try really kick the ass out of it and get into a parachuting course or even a day thing with one or more jumps.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

If you fancy having a go at parachuting then contact the army or check the army website.
I spent a week with the RA and did two jumps although there should have been 5 (british weather). It only cost £60 as far as i remember and everything else is taken care of by the army.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

does the tarzan assault course have netting underneith of it so if you fall...? or is it a dead drop to the ground?
SCUD

Post by SCUD »

it's a straight drop mate. sorry.
SCUD

Post by SCUD »

is it just me or did anyone else expect the assault course to be harder? not physically harder obviously, I mean i was expecting the obstacles to be tougher.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

Indeed, if it weren't for that 45 minute "warm-up" beforehand it would've been pretty fun :wink:
BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Don't forget that once in training it is the compounded physical training which wears you down, ie not what you are doing but wat you did before and what you have to do after in quick succession. and of course the added Full Fighting Order (FFO) which is 45Lbs and a weapon to lug round. The FFO of course is designed to fit snug :smile: and not stress those shoulders or hips :wink:
[img]http://www.civvie-street.co.uk/uk_flag.gif[/img] Proud to be British - Proud to have been a Royal Marine.[img]http://www.civvie-street.co.uk/uk_flag.gif[/img]
[url=http://www.cityroyal.co.uk]RMA City of London[/url]
Cronkilla

Post by Cronkilla »

On 2002-03-08 16:52, Jonny wrote:
If you fancy having a go at parachuting then contact the army or check the army website.
I spent a week with the RA and did two jumps although there should have been 5 (british weather). It only cost £60 as far as i remember and everything else is taken care of by the army.
Didnt know that, thats much less than i was quoted for 2 jumps with a cocky looking intructor behind me.
ment

Post by ment »

The Tarzan course is suppossed to be an aerial confidence test i think. Yoou only get 2 goes at it so you cannot get used to the height too much. One aquaint loose order, and one test attempt.