Share This Page:

An Ungentlemanly Act

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Which channel was it on originally?
Yorkie Malone

Post by Yorkie Malone »

This was the one a bit ago that we could not remember the correct name for.
Any one got any contacts in the BBC to see if

1. They can put it on again
2. have they got a copy.

There must be at least ONE ex RM with his fingers in a BBC pie?!?
ratso

Post by ratso »

Have sent an e-mail to a friend who replied straight away. He says that it is in the schedule for later in the year and he will let me know when.
I am asking for a copy as well which I hope will be transfered onto DVD for me. So I'll keep u up to date.
Apparantly there will be a few programs on the beeb later in the year.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Has anyone ever seen the film Firefight about Top Malo House. If so who made it so I can track it down.
dave barrett

Post by dave barrett »

I have UK type copies of both programmes under discussion, but as I live in Canada and only have one UK type VCR (PAL), I can't back to back it for anyone..If other, easier avenues fail, I could probably get one copied commercially. Both great programmes and good nostaligia, especially as the 20th anniversary is nearly upon us...I will be off this means for 2 weeks for family reasons, but if you really must have a copy of either, and I am the last resort, please Email me and I will reply ASP after 05 Feb 02
Regards, Dave B. W.C.
Per Mare Per Terram Per Haps
dave barrett

Post by dave barrett »

Whoops, sorry. I can't find..'An Ungentlemanly Act'...But I have sighted 'Battle For Top Malo House'...In fact I recently showed it to a friend who as just been commissioned in the Canadian Army. So if there is no easier way for anyone interested to get a copy of this one, feel free to Email me....Hope we don't have to pay Chris Stone, Mac Mclean and the rest royalties for this!!
Regards Dave b. W.C.
Per Mare Per Terram Per Haps
Jim T

Post by Jim T »

The film 'Firefight' was made around 1983, where the production company used serving Royal's as extras. About the same time another film was made called 'Blue leader missing', or something similar. About 20 to 30 of L Coy 42 CDO were used as extra's, including yours truly. Although I was better looking in those days!

Jim T
middlearth

Post by middlearth »

Hi Jim, Dare i ask. Better looking than what? Regards Stan kiwi.
ratso

Post by ratso »

Dare we ask with a nick name middlearth were you in the film or just love the book, it was shot over there after all???
middlearth

Post by middlearth »

Niether. I forgot my password so i had to start all over and think of something i could remember. It's not easy for us old blokes, anyway it's all Yorkie's fault.
stuarturban

Post by stuarturban »

Hallo everyone, I am Stuart Urban, writer and director of the film An Ungentlemanly Act, which I am fascinated and touched to see is still causing this interest and feeling, ten years on! When the film was first made a few veterans did indeed write to me saying that it was the only drama that ever came near to what they went through, for whatever reason, the humour, the firefights etc. I am sorry to say that although I suggested a repeat to the BBC for the 20th anniversary of the Falklands War, and despite the fact that it won the Bafta and many other awards, it seems nobody is planning to show it, though much other material is being made/repeated. Can I ask you all something? If people emailed the BBC, particulary from a forces background or family of forces, I think it would have an impact and might cause it to be shown. If there are a number of people who want this and can get likeminded friends or family to do it, I will find out an email and post it for you. Concerning people's desire to get hold of VHS, I do have some copies myself, which I got done at a cost of £15 each, sorry they are a bit expensive but one cannot get low runs done for less. Please advise if you want them - who knows if it will ever be shown again? stuart@cyclopsvision.co.uk
BullDog

Post by BullDog »

Excellent ~ where else could you get this level of interaction in a discussion. Stuart Urban, writer and director of the film An Ungentlemanly Act, available in a discussion on the topic.

Stuart, Let us know who you think we should e-mail and I'm sure we will be able to generate some interest from the Civvie-Street site.
[img]http://www.civvie-street.co.uk/uk_flag.gif[/img] Proud to be British - Proud to have been a Royal Marine.[img]http://www.civvie-street.co.uk/uk_flag.gif[/img]
[url=http://www.cityroyal.co.uk]RMA City of London[/url]
stuarturban

Post by stuarturban »

Following my enquiries, I have found the BBC operate an information line where they log requests for programmes
to be repeated. An Ungentlemanly Act is on the database (they are saying it was
last screened in 1999, not correct as far as I know, unless it was a cable channel) and the customer services person logs a request that is sent through to the Programme Controllers.

The number for the line is 08700 100 222.
Thanks for the emails and support
STUART URBAN, Writer/Director, An Ungentlemanly Act
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Absolutely, with the appropriate e-mail or even phone number I ( and a number of oppo`s) would be more than willing to contact the BBC regarding a showing.
stuarturban

Post by stuarturban »

PROGRESS! UK DRAMA is, I have discovered in a letter from the channel editor today, scheduling a repeat of AN UNGENTLEMANLY ACT on April 11th at 21.00. This is a minority channel, obviously, so if anyone is ringing the BBC "repeat request" line as above you can say that you would like it on BBC1 or 2
Thanks for all the support.
Stuart Urban, Writer Director