Share This Page:

Officer Uni Graduates

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Will getting a degree be better before joining the Corps as an Officer in terms of career prospects? I know it's possible to gain one whilst serving, like after Staff College and the likes.
The reason I ask this is I'm in a three-way career path dilema just now. What would you recommend being the best out of these three?

1) Getting a uni degree, join Corps as officer and hopefully have a great career...

2) Join Corps as officer then possibly gain degree later on in career. This way I could get more of the 'fun years' as someone has said, before getting stuck behind a desk.

3) Join as a rank and, if possible, apply/get selected for officer training later on in career. This way would provide better experience someone told me before commanding a troop. More fun too apparently.

This all might seem a bit forward thinking but I like to plan a bit so I can work hard for the Green Lid and hopefully have a great career.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
OC POC

Post by OC POC »

The next YO Batch, due to start Se 02, will have a mix of Graduates, non-Graduates and Corps Commission Candidates. Having a degree does not necessarily hamper a career in the Corps, although most Officers now have a degeree. What WILL happen is that your 19-22 "Wonder Years" will be spent either enjoying yourself at University or enjoying yourself at CTCRM then a Unit. What you need to decide is where. You will have a more varied and arguably rewarding early career path if you join without a degree, but you will promoted slower than your Graduate Batch-mates (who will be 3/4 years older than you). If you join with a Degree you will get promoted to Captain quicker, but may well miss out on some of the "fun" Operational Troop Commanders jobs in the first 3/4 years of your career. Opportunities for doing degrees in service are few and far between, but are becoming more common, particularly OU Degrees. If you have any more questions, ring me at work 01392 414101 or email as above. Good luck!
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks for the reply. I believe that distance/open learning, such as the OU, will become a lot more common in the near future. I'm hopeful that, providing I complete the training and get commissioned, that I'll be able to complete a degree later on in my career.
I've now come to the decision of joining the Corps in Sep 2003 after spending nine months in St Petersburg learning Russian language and culture (plus an additional three months in Beijing learning basic Chinese Mandarin) with an international language school.

Thanks again for the information. If I seek more advice I'll be sure to contact you.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Excellent to see the OC POC reaching out exactly what I'd hoped for - the real answers not what other people perseve in their oppinion the right answer to be...

Can you persuade your peers to do likewise? :wink: Welcome.
Yours Aye
Tony L
[url=http://www.civvie-street.co.uk][img]http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/images/sigyomp.gif[/img][/url]