Share This Page:

Questions Regarding IOT

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
MajesticAce

Questions Regarding IOT

Post by MajesticAce »

I am hoping to apply to the RAF sometime next year and I have a few questions about IOT.

1- What is the accomdation like during IOT? Is it rooms of 20 or single?
2- How much PT do you do as a regular servicemen (After IOT)
3- Is drill and inspections apart of everyday life once you've done IOT & Training

I want to become a pilot hopefully but I don't want to spend days and days doing drill, inspections and PT instead of flying- As an Air Cadet these activites are fine but not something I'd want to do everyday in the RAF.

Tab

Re: Questions Regarding IOT

Post by Tab »

I can't really say what the accommodation will be like but on the whole it is quite good on the airbases. Depending what trade you are in depends on the bull, but you should always keep your kit neat and tidy and your self fit, it is a matter of self respect.
Hyperlithe

Re: Questions Regarding IOT

Post by Hyperlithe »

Term 1 you're in a 2 man room, terms 2 and 3 you get one to yourself. On the exercises you may be in tents of 6-8 mixed cadets, or in a building with all the other lads on your course - the girls get a separate building on that ex.
There's not a lot in the way of drill and inspections in normal daily life, unless you get to be a flt cdr for a parade, but that'll only be a few rehearsals then the real thing, and they don't come around that often. You are expected to maintain your kit to inspection standard without being checked up on, as Tab says it's self respect, personal standards, and as an Officer you've got to set an example.
After training you can do as much or as little exercise as you want, as long as you're passing your fitness tests every time...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours