Share This Page:

Fast Jet Pilot

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
hodsa123

Fast Jet Pilot

Post by hodsa123 »

Hi
my life long ambition is to fly fast jets wether for the RAF or the Royal Navy Fleet air arm, however due to the fact that more combat is often seen by the naval aviators and the Navy's view on asthma any anything related (Although i do not have asthma on my medical records and just a preventative inhaler) either way i have worked hard and i am achiving the GCSE Grades With being on target for an A in maths , a B in english and a B in most other subjects, at collage i am taking Maths physics , history and something else , however i do not know what would be most beneficial, i have spoken to my recruter about the medical side of things and he has said all is fine, i have started my PPL and am training in the Scottish aviation bulldog, (anything to give me an edge) my questions are,
- how many pilots will be taken on when the two queen Elisabeth class carriers are commissioned and when this will be
- what other A levels should i take
- should i be good to submit an RAF application
- could anyone with past experience let me know what personal qualities are looked for in a fast jet pilot
- is there any thing that they look for specifically in a navy FJ pilot
- is it worth me getting my aerobatic certification
Many Thanks Any information will be much appreciated as well as anyone who could offer me some advice as to progressing, i am currently 15 and have some time prior to handing in my 1st application at aged 17-18, ( i have no criminal record and perfect vision however i am a little unfit) plus anyone who has been in this situation or currently holds this role in the RAF , any thing you could help me out with i would be very grateful once again thanks, im all ears :wink:
Hyperlithe

Re: Fast Jet Pilot

Post by Hyperlithe »

Not sure where you got the impression that more combat is seen by Navy aviators...
:-?
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
hodsa123

Post by hodsa123 »

If im honest neither am I simply due to the fact that they are more mobile, more of an ill informed presumption, do you know anything about the process to becoming a FJ pilot
:D
Tab

Post by Tab »

If your doctor has supplied the inhaler then it will be on your medical records and would raise a big question mark about your health. Also the new carriers are not expected to be in service for another six years so you will have a very long wait before you would be required. As at the moment most of the combat flying is done by the RAF so that would be your best chance.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

If you manage to pass the aptitude tests for pilot, and get through officer selection, you then have to pass officer training and generic pilot training before you are streamed either fast jet, rotary or multi-engine. Afraid you don't get to choose!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
hodsa123

Post by hodsa123 »

as long as im flying ill be happy but got to aim for something , why not aim for the top as for the inhaler it says next it it used for help during tonsillitis or something but if theres anyway to avoid it then the better ,
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Think it's 4 years for inhalers, so if it was prescribed within that time you'll need a letter from your doctor to say you don't now (and have never had) have any respiratory problems. If you can't get that then you will need to wait until 4 years after it was prescribed before they'll consider you. (I would double check that with the AFCO though, it might be 6 years)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
hodsa123

Post by hodsa123 »

done that and the inhaler was around 07-08 so its past even a 6 year mark as for the Doc ive already talked to them and their happy with doing so, any fitness tips or any thing that i should know before applying would be much appreciated :) :D :)