Share This Page:

refused entry because of teeth ???

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
sportbilly42

Re: refused entry because of teeth ???

Post by sportbilly42 »

I would normally have bit of fun with posts about teeth and say that you've got to have a symmetrical row of gnashers and offer other 'helpful' bits of advice (gap on the left side? Get your dentist to yank out one on the right side to balance things out.... etc etc... http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... th#p469573 ) but in your case it's not just poor hygiene that's given you a row of gravestones in your gob, it's the kicking you've had, so I've got some sympathy and won't take the pis$.... (much)

As part of the 'checking process' before they let anyone in through the front door. all forces conduct a variety of tests on potential recruits. These include physical fitness tests, intelligence tests, aptitude tests, and medical tests. The medical tests will be quite thorough and check EVERYTHING. The last thing the military medical types want to do is take on someone who may become a liability further along the line. They'll weed out the obvious failings like someone with a heart condition they didn't know about. They'll also bin the deaf, blind and lame.

As for teeth, it IS something you will have to deal with but I wouldn't say that it would prevent you from getting in. (the photos do show that you have SOME teeth still attached to your jaw so there's hope...) But if they just accepted guys with rotten stumps for teeth and shipped them out to Afghanistan they could easily become a liability. The medics have more important things to be dealing with than idiots that have toothache and can't use a toothbrush.

Ignoring the problem by not seeking more remedial work from your dentist is not going to make them any better. Some of the guys I served with had hardly any teeth in their mouths, but they generally had them 'removed' playing rugby or boxing once they were already in the army.

The important thing to remember is not to take anyone's word as Gospel on here. None of us are dentists and even fewer doctors. Get some advice from the Carers Information Office but also overcome your fear of dentists and get one of them to have a look inside your gob.

But from the photos, I'd give up any hope you might have had on appearing in any recruiting posters.......
mattyt13

Post by mattyt13 »

Thanks mate think ill go to the dentist and get some work done so I don't have any probs in the near. Futuree. Thanks again mate
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

From the photos. I dont see any signs of decay or obvious neglect, just widely spaced teeth. Im no dentist but I doubt you would be collared for that upon initial medical with the AFCO doc. Also I joined up with my front tooth knocked out due to a blunt fist like object punching me when i was younger.. I had A 'bridged' tooth and was deemed ok. I think its more Dental hygene that is the issue.
'Every man an Emperor'
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Also expect to have the p*iss ripped out of you for looking like 'JAWS' off the James Bond films or being know as 'The Count' and thats not for your numerical ability...
'Every man an Emperor'