Share This Page:

RAF Police

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Macleod

RAF Police

Post by Macleod »

I was just wondering if there is anyone that's browsing this forum who is like me interested in joining the RAF Police. I was originally set on becoming a Reg Gunner like the majority of people seem to be on here. I had applied down at AFCO back in April and had my AST booked but broke my foot a few days later whilst out running so I was told I have to wait until April 2010 before returning to AFCO to start my application from scratch again. It's whilst i've been waiting and thinking over my options i've decided RAF Police is a better option for me and directly in line with what I want to do after leaving the forces. I think both RAF Reg and Police are really oversubscribed at the moment so i'm about to start to learn to drive as you require a driving licence for police. So basically i'm looking for any views, opinions or advice on RAF Police??

Cheers
Lou1607

Post by Lou1607 »

Hi,

Not sure I can help at the moment, but I have an hour meeting with an RAF careers guy tomorrow at uni, and I'm looking at RAF Regiment or Police as well after graduating.

I'll be sure to ask him about the Police and how many applications they get etc.

Hope it will help, sorry if it doesn't :(
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Hi Mac, yes a wise choise to go for the Snowdrops especially if you want to join a Home Office force when you leave the RAF.

That said I did my time in the RAf Regiment and still joined the Met when I left. However, bear in mind that the soldiering you would get from the Regt would stand you in good stead and add another string to your bow when finally applying for a civvy force.

I benefit greatly from having worked in all three branches: military, security service and police. And still work in a related field now - albeit the Swedish MoD.
Macleod

Post by Macleod »

Oh right cheers mate! It would be great if you can post back in here what he says tomorrow. Any information will be a great help, to me and anybody else who's interested in MP in these forums. Sounds like you have many strings on your own bow LB and you make a good point about the regiment and the soldiering skills I could learn, and the fact you joined the met after leaving more or less proves it's also a good in for civvy police. Like I say I still have time to decide but I do seem to be leaning towards the police as I thought the job role was directly in line with civvy police. Just need to get earn that driving licence before I can return to AFCO in April.
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

I am interested in the RAF Police. I always wanted to be a Gunner / Reg Officer. But after looking into the Police I have decided to seriously look at it. I am actually a serving Constable in a home office force, I spent a wek at Henlow in the summer with RAF Police and found it to be most informative.

RAF Police have every department that a Home Office force has, and more. The skills and experience you would gain as a RAF copper would stand you in great stead should you decide to join CivPol. Some of the skills can lead to very rewarding careers in the security industry if not Home Office policing.

The RAF Police appears to be a very diverse and challenging workplace. They are over subscribed at the minute I am lead to believe, but dont let that be a barrier to your application.

Good Luck
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
Lou1607

Post by Lou1607 »

Hiya,

Had the chat with the RAF careers today.

Asked him about the RAF Reg first and he said that there's quite a bit of competition at the moment and that they're being "kinda picky" about who they accept in regard to selection. When I asked him what sort of extra-curricular activities I could do in regards to getting in, he said "exercise, exercise, exercise and leadership roles."

Also asked him about the RAF Police and he said that much less emphasis was placed on physical prowess and that again there wasn't a massive demand for RAF Police officers at the moment.

Asked about employability after leaving the RAF and he said while any career in the forces will give you a very strong base to move on from, that the RAF Police have skills more applicable to civilian roles, although ex RAF Regiment are by no means "frowned upon".

Dunno if that helps, sorry if it doesn't. I'm also looking at Officer positions and so demands may be different for Gunners etc.

Lou

PS Quick question, he mentioned that the Officers Training Corps run by the Army is the best way to go if looking for a career in the RAF Reg, but they stopped taking applicants in Oct. Are there any other university based Corps besides OTC and UAS that are geared towards the RAF Regiment?

Thanks
wannabe_rock

Post by wannabe_rock »

Lou

Maybe try popping down to a local TA centre and get involved there. Whist it isn't aimed at recruiting and developing officers it will help with your leadership, fitness, confidence etc, or a local RMR or RAuxAF sqn.
"It is easier and more effective to destroy the enemy's aerial power by destroying his nests and eggs on the ground than to hunt his flying birds in the air." - General Giulio Douhet

Some Of The Best RAF Fighters Operate On The Ground!
Lou1607

Post by Lou1607 »

OK thanks. Checked for local TA squadrons (or whatever they're called) and the nearest one is the Signals and is pretty far away for a car-less student.

However, I'll definitely check up on the RMR.

I also found the nearest ATC squadron and was wondering how applying for Adult Sergeant would look in terms of leadership experience for the RAF Reg? I was a member of the ATC for 5 years prior to uni.

Thanks again, and sorry for steering away from the original topic.
Danny 212

Post by Danny 212 »

I am looking into joining the RAF police next year but was just wondering if there is any who is currently serving or has served in the RAF police who could tell me what the job is like and it is a good career to go into.

Thanks