Share This Page:

Told Too fat for Armed forces

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.

Is the Armed forces discriminatory to larger guys?

Yes
27%
No
67%
Bring back national Service for Fat people
7%

Total votes: 15

Brigadeir_Warlock

Post by Brigadeir_Warlock »

Hi guys i am new to this

I recently went to look for a possible job within RAF but told i was too fat due to the flawed BMI count thingy.

I am 6ft 2, and weigh bout 20 stone.. but i dont really look obese or really fat i have defintion my family are all big? I have been going to the gym but it really hard you know with all the temptation of food close to hand. I am not really a fast food junkie, in fact i have never really touched a Mac'd, BK or KFC at all. I dont smoke, I drink in moderation. I admit i love the chocolate and the odd can of irnbru

Where am i going wrong?:-?

yours

Brig QW
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Is this gen?
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
GunnerBhoy

Post by GunnerBhoy »

GET IN MY BELLY!!!

Seriously though if this isnt a wind up ive heard of rugby player types failing due to having a really high BMI, but thats because they where built like the side of a certain type of house. Dont know if thats the case here though?
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

If we're going down the taking this seriously route, then you're obviously not doing enough fitness and eating too much. I'm 6'2 myself and weigh 13.5 stone, 14 when I've been on the weights, so somethings not right dude.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

im 5ft 8 (6ft4 pre-para) and were just under 14 stone when i went into regs. something was mentioned about my body mass index at the medical which i took in the negative light but i was a lean mean sex god machine so i guess i got away with it. i think this thing of being pinged due to body mass is a bit silly. I reckon it should all be about passing fitness tests not how portly you are. lets face it if your a fat knacker you aint gonna pass, if your an obvious looking fat knacker you will be turned away. to original poster if this is the case i'd get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself! what you may think is 'beefy' due to lifting iron may look like excess lard to the whippet in the recruiting office.
'Every man an Emperor'
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Hmm...

Not to be rude (assuming this is a genuine post) but flawed though BMI is as a way of measuring general 'fatness', it has a wide enough range before you get to the realms of the overweight and obese that aside from the really enormous bodybuilder types, a fit bloke with above average muscle mass still won't end up with a false BMI. Muscle weighs more than fat, so it could be that you have a fair bit of both? What are you doing at the gym, how often, how long for?
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
gooner_27

Post by gooner_27 »

This can't be real? theres something wrong here.
BARB TEST 60
WRITTEN MED PASSED
FORMAL INTERVIEW PASSED
ADSC PASSED
INTAKE 30TH NOVEMBER 2009 ATR PIRBRIGHT
ROYAL LOGISTIC CORPS
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

If this post was made on 1st of April would anyone have believed it?

Thought not 8)

Urine extracting is underway.
ofens

Post by ofens »

When they measured your height did you have your arms straight up in the air?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Brigadeir_Warlock

Post by Brigadeir_Warlock »

gunner75 wrote:im 5ft 8 (6ft4 pre-para) and were just under 14 stone when i went into regs. something was mentioned about my body mass index at the medical which i took in the negative light but i was a lean mean sex god machine so i guess i got away with it. i think this thing of being pinged due to body mass is a bit silly. I reckon it should all be about passing fitness tests not how portly you are. lets face it if your a fat knacker you aint gonna pass, if your an obvious looking fat knacker you will be turned away. to original poster if this is the case i'd get a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself! what you may think is 'beefy' due to lifting iron may look like excess lard to the whippet in the recruiting office.
mr_man_2168 wrote:Hmm...

Not to be rude (assuming this is a genuine post) but flawed though BMI is as a way of measuring general 'fatness', it has a wide enough range before you get to the realms of the overweight and obese that aside from the really enormous bodybuilder types, a fit bloke with above average muscle mass still won't end up with a false BMI. Muscle weighs more than fat, so it could be that you have a fair bit of both? What are you doing at the gym, how often, how long for?
To be totally honest most of my family are all fair hefty apart from one or two.

I do a quite a bit of walking and swimming (not great at it though) but i admit i have a bit of podge but i am not the one for trying to getting the fat shifted - I have a rugby player build or so i am told (maybe folks just being polite for saying i am fat?) As for the gym had been going to local sport centre but then switched to big chain gyms, i do try go on a daily basis for minimum of an hour (mixture of routines) hell i even went to doctor and see if he could help but no luck their so i guess i am destined to be fat? No? It might seem like i am on a whinge, possibly but it the case where i myself dont really have or know many people due to partly my own fault of being bit shy

Long story short. Yes i am serious but i just cant really get my head around the stupid bmi count when in the past fat people could get in no bother and they made you pull your weight n stuff..!!

Brig QW

FYI to those whom presume i am extrapolating urine i am not
Me Tarzan, You silly man in camo wanting his momma
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

May I suggest binning the gym for a couple of months and just doing cardio.
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

gunner75 wrote:im 5ft 8 (6ft4 pre-para)
You got shorter? :o .... how'd that happen? Or am I completly mis-reading that? :lol:
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

it was an attempt at humour... :roll:
before pre-para (i.e jumps course at brize) I was tall and gangly but due to the amount of subsequent drops and landing like a tent peg getting nailed into mother earth i am now a short stumpy gnome more akin to the kind nailing snow white in the disney classic. :(
'Every man an Emperor'
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

gunner75 wrote:more akin to the kind nailing snow white in the disney classic.
Why are you moaning then? No worries as long as you go first (or second depending on how fussy you are). :o
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Never heard of anyone being rejected due to their BMI if they passed the fitness test...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours