Share This Page:

PGAC Diary

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Hi Andy, welcome aboard!

Simple answers to your questions:

1. Nope, the 3 miler is done in sports kit and trainers, ditto the bleep test and press up/situp test. Skirmish and assault course are done in boots and coveralls with helmet.

2. Off the top of my head and probably not in the right order: 6 foot wall, 9ft wall, monkeybars, rope swing, A-Frame/Cargo net, walk along a high beam (it's flat), descend vertical rope, descend angled rope, tunnel crawl, high steps (imagine walking up stairs 2 at a time, but with nothing in between), run up a ramp and jump off, and a couple of naff gap filling ones like the 'dirt jump' (jump accross a sandpit, basically).

3. Nope. You do some key skills tests but they're nothing to do with actual selection it's just a diagnostic thing to check if you may have learning difficulties.
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Andy501

Post by Andy501 »

Thanks Mr_Man,

Thank god for that, the idea of running 3 miles in issued boots is not good, although i have a set of Lowa's so ill take them for the skirmish etc.

You told me Exaclly what i needed to know!!!

Any idea when your next PGAC is? We may be on the same one?

Andy
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Yeah i definitely recommend taking your own boots, I had some big old blisters from wearing the ones they lend out. Got myself a new pair for next time so I'll have them nicely broken in.
No idea when my re-attempt is yet, hopefully should be hearing any day now so I can work out what I need to be doing training-wise.
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
Jafa

Post by Jafa »

At the moment I can only do around 30-40 press ups and 40-50 sit ups (Some days I can do 29 press ups then the next Ill do 42 etc) will that be enough to pass PGAC? Im confident I will pass the 3 miler, bleep test etc but not as confident on press ups.

If you can remember, out of the people who passed did anyone do below 40 press ups in a minute? I'd appreciate it if you can remember because I really am dreading it :x
AST: 01/04/09 - PASSED
Interview: 03/04/09 - PASSED
Medical: 05/05/09 - PASSED
PGAC: ???
TG Course: ???
TommyCrown

July 27th

Post by TommyCrown »

My PGAC is July 27th anyone on this one? The Sgt said to me there will be 40 of us on the selection and only space for 15 people, I'm assuming due to the credit crunch there's been a high influx of applicants. When I went for to 34 Squadron for the day I got level 13 on the bleeps test and did 60 press-ups and somehow only 34 sit-ups on the fitness test. To those who have already done their PGAC what was the standard of fitness like in the other applicants?
mr_man_2168

Re: July 27th

Post by mr_man_2168 »

TommyCrown wrote:My PGAC is July 27th anyone on this one? The Sgt said to me there will be 40 of us on the selection and only space for 15 people, I'm assuming due to the credit crunch there's been a high influx of applicants. When I went for to 34 Squadron for the day I got level 13 on the bleeps test and did 60 press-ups and somehow only 34 sit-ups on the fitness test. To those who have already done their PGAC what was the standard of fitness like in the other applicants?
Really varied. We had a few blokes on my PGAC that dropped out of the bleep test way before level 10. Likewise we had some really fit blokes, one guy did 80 press ups in a minute. Sounds to me like you'll pass it easy at that level mate.
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
RRG

Post by RRG »

mr_man_2168 wrote:Hi Andy, welcome aboard!

Simple answers to your questions:

1. Nope, the 3 miler is done in sports kit and trainers, ditto the bleep test and press up/situp test. Skirmish and assault course are done in boots and coveralls with helmet.

2. Off the top of my head and probably not in the right order: 6 foot wall, 9ft wall, monkeybars, rope swing, A-Frame/Cargo net, walk along a high beam (it's flat), descend vertical rope, descend angled rope, tunnel crawl, high steps (imagine walking up stairs 2 at a time, but with nothing in between), run up a ramp and jump off, and a couple of naff gap filling ones like the 'dirt jump' (jump accross a sandpit, basically).

3. Nope. You do some key skills tests but they're nothing to do with actual selection it's just a diagnostic thing to check if you may have learning difficulties.

haha we get beasted around the assalt corse we did pre para fire team assment around the assalt course 8:41 it ook us which is going around the assalt course twice and then round the outside 2 what a f@#k lick out!!!!
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

RRG wrote:

haha we get beasted around the assalt corse we did pre para fire team assment around the assalt course 8:41 it ook us which is going around the assalt course twice and then round the outside 2 what a f@#k lick out!!!!
Yeah we saw a load of TGs on the assault course while I was on PGAC, looked like they were getting their balls broken good and proper! haha.
We watched them doing bayonet training as well, it wasn't pretty!
AST - PASSED
TG Course - ???
RRG

Post by RRG »

mr_man_2168 wrote:
RRG wrote:

Yeah we saw a load of TGs on the assault course while I was on PGAC, looked like they were getting their balls broken good and proper! haha.
We watched them doing bayonet training as well, it wasn't pretty!
haha bayonet traing i was beasted so baddly in tht lmao we got split dwn into 2 groups and luckly for us we had an airborne cpl WE GOT HAMMRD it was like 7 in the morning alll the way till around 11 oclock constant running around with webbin on lepord crawing press ups then more running more press ups then finally had a kit inspection troops didnt have stuff we would be doing more press ups and running then FINALLY we got to bayonet gantrees " DEMO BOX VIA PORK PIE GO" sprint approx 200m "LINE VIA PORK PIE GO" R another 200 m to sprint we had tht whilst doing acctual bayonet fightin whilst you got cpls yellling at u and slapppin u and tryin to take ur weapon of ya haha one lad got headbutted :P i had few kiks too me side of ma webbing but all fun had a laff at the end about it at end of out training course
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

ah bayonet training. yeah the staff let it all hang out on this day and let you know whats coming for ya!
CPL G 'give me that f*ckin weapon Smith'
MOI 'F*ck off you GEORDIE CNUT'
CPL G...SMACK

PORKPIE!!!

We had a film crew down there once filming at the gantries - never seen the staff so well behaved, I think it was for some footage so that RAF recruiting could show people what its about
'Every man an Emperor'
BucksBoy

Re: July 27th

Post by BucksBoy »

TommyCrown wrote:My PGAC is July 27th anyone on this one? The Sgt said to me there will be 40 of us on the selection and only space for 15 people, I'm assuming due to the credit crunch there's been a high influx of applicants. When I went for to 34 Squadron for the day I got level 13 on the bleeps test and did 60 press-ups and somehow only 34 sit-ups on the fitness test. To those who have already done their PGAC what was the standard of fitness like in the other applicants?
IIRC There were about 40 of us on my PGAC, with about 20 of us left at the end - to be on the next available TG intake you need to get an 'A', a few lads got 'B' which means you have passed but you need to work on your fitness before they will let you start, so probably worked out at around 15. I found the same - fitness levels varied greatly, from hopelessly unfit to others who could really cut the mustard -I got 10.5 on the bleep test but other lads got much higher, into the 11's and even a couple of 12's. Likewise with pressups and situps - one lad only did 7 pressups and got sent home that day, others did into the 50's - hats off to that lad who did 80 on the one in April - I was happy enough with 45 :oops:! in my defence I found that RAF pressups were harder than the ones I had been doing at home, more like close grip ones, thats my excuse anyway..........
crouchy

Post by crouchy »

this vid shows will greenwood attemptin the assualt course at honnington however he dose the pre para version of it which means you have to complete the assualt course 2 times and run round the barrels 4 times in total were as when you do it on pgac you only run round the barrels 2 times and complete the assualt course ounce on your timed effort which you must complete in 5mins 15secs
rafreghopeful223

route in..

Post by rafreghopeful223 »

first of all cheers for taking the time to write that mate, been looking around for a detailed account of what actually goes on on PGAC or whatever its known as now.. and unlucky with the injury mate, hope you get through next time :)

sorry to take everything back a stage but whats the whole list of procedures? eg. your first meeting with the local afco,interview, medical assesment, pgac etc..

stephen
trfcdan86

Re: route in..

Post by trfcdan86 »

rafreghopeful223 wrote:first of all cheers for taking the time to write that mate, been looking around for a detailed account of what actually goes on on PGAC or whatever its known as now.. and unlucky with the injury mate, hope you get through next time :)

sorry to take everything back a stage but whats the whole list of procedures? eg. your first meeting with the local afco,interview, medical assesment, pgac etc..

stephen
check out my sig dude.

TG course will commence approx 2 months after PGSC is completed.
Application: 11th May 2009
AST: Passed 7th July 2009
Interview: Passed 13th July 2009
Medical: Passed 30th July 2009
PJFT: Passed Nov 30th 2009
PGSC: Passed February 22nd 2010
TG: ???