Share This Page:

structure of regiment gunner training

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
mark-b

structure of regiment gunner training

Post by mark-b »

hi, about 4 months ago i left the royal marines at week 15 but now i have been looking at going for raf reg gunner. when i was down there it was clear what you would be doing in each of the 32 weeks but i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the training is like and how progressive it is over the 5 months?
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Right mate I passed out in September from the depot so here goes:
Weeks 1-9
Basically the billy basics of military life, loads of drill, loads of inspections, loads of phys, and you will learn all about the IW fire it progressivle and fire the APWT in about week 8 I think it is. You will get introduction to running in boots towards the end of this period, you will also do fieldcraft 1 which is mainly admin in the field and you getting beasted into the ground all over the place in the field, well it was for us anyway. You'll finish up this period with bayonet fighting which is a beasting but great, loads of aggresion tearing things apart.

Weeks 10-19

This is your main infanteering training, doing all your tactics, learning the HE grenade, dominated really by fieldcrafts, field 2 is f & m, section battle drills mainly, bit of patrolling. Field 3 is digex and is very very hard, digging the old 4 man trench when we did ours, the ground we dug was crap and we had about 5 inches of soil then hit chalk all the way down we were digging for 4 days, stopping only to go out and conduct patrols and put OPs in etc. and eat and admin ourselves, during those 4 days I slept once for about 4 hours when we had to bivvy up one night, you will think you see some weird stuff on those patrols cause of the sleep dep. I tell you man! Then it's final ex time, Ex. OMEGA, this incorporates all you have been taught so far ending in a final flight attack to finish off the Bardonian special forces (any rockapes reading this will chuckle..yes the bardonians have risen from the bloody ashes again!). You will do your ROFA fitness tests in about week 16, and week 19 should be your field firing package, by far the ebst thing on the course.

Weeks 20 & 21

Nearly there, week 20 is an easy week, NVQ stuff and chance to sort your admin out for your posting, that's about it. Week 21 is what it's all been for, pass out prep. rocking around camp in your number 2s all day, you do feel the dogs danglies when you go by the other courses, then before you know it all the pain on the drill square has been well worth it and you are marching on in front of your family and friends 10 feet tall with mudguards on your shoulders and you are a member of the corps, Per Ardua.

Hope this helped mate.
SHOOT_ME

Post by SHOOT_ME »

Wannabe_bootneck, you mentioned ROFA fitness tests. What are they and what do they consist of? Are they the same as BFT and CFT?
wannabe_bootneck

ROFA is not particularly dificult mate, you shouldn't have real dramas on it. You will do much more physically demanding stuff in phys during training as norm.
mitch_boxing

re

Post by mitch_boxing »

by loads of phys what do you mean, would you be running 3 milers everyday? Also are the circuits really intense, like the RM style of sprint there, sprint here ect.

Cheers

Mitch
wannabe_bootneck

Nope, you only run a 3 miler again once and that's best effort to determine which running stream you're in. Then you increase distance and pace on the running side of things up to about 9 or 10 miles tops. You will also do a hill sprints session, which considering how flat the area around depot is, isn't as much of a hang out as it sounds, there's like one decent sized hill that you will just get run up and down for about an hour. The circuits can be very cheeky some of them both in the gym and in the swimming pool, you will also do battle pt circuits later on in training on the assault course. The swimming pool can be made very very painful by the PTIs. To start with you will do nothing right in phys and get beasted around for it, but as time goes on the PTIs begin to chill out with you a bit and tend to warm down in a game or something after the phys if you do well.