Share This Page:

Regiment Snipers

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
bumpkin1

Regiment Snipers

Post by bumpkin1 »

Im looking at joining as a gunner in the next year if all goes to plan. I wanted to see if anyone knew much about becoming a sniper within the regiment?? whats the training like?? i guess its a seperate course has anyone done it and what does it entail???
I also wanted to know if the regiment still has an arctic capability?? do all squadrons train in this at some point or how does it work?!
any info would be appreciated Im finding it hard getting any specific info on roles within the regiment!
RobT

Post by RobT »

Pass PGAC, go on the TG course, if you pass and go Field Sqn then Gen app for it......

The course is HARRRRRRRRD
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

bumpkin1,

RAF Regt snipers attend the 7 week course at the Infantry Battle School in Wales. This is the same course undertaken by British Army snipers. It is a selection course and is widely considered to be very tough. You can also recieve training by a qualified sniper within the Regt, but obviously to be able to teach sniping skills yourself and to attain the Sniper badge you will need to pass the aforementioned course. I believe most potential snipers attend the Sharpshooter course beforehand (which gives you marksmanship training with the L96 Sniper rifle). The role of snipers within the Regt is obviously primarily defensive, but as history has shown the sniper is a powerful tool in a defensive battle (cf Stalingrad).
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

TDJ,

I have to say I am not certain. I am in the process of joining the Regt and when I asked about sniper training the Senior Recruiting NCO told me that Regt snipers do the same 7 week course as the Army. However, that could just be for those who want to become sniper instructors. The Regt could well run its own course, but would that qualify you as a fully trained sniper? Any help on this one would be appreciated......
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

When I was at Honington in May they had a display and SNCO JROC said that the training wing do run sniper courses. They also have a display in one of the hall ways in building 159 with pictures from the course.
The course leads to the award of the snipers badge and I would imagine the full qualification the same as if you attended sniper cadre at ITC Wales. From my understanding the difference is that officers can apply for sniper training in the army while in the RAF Regiment its only NCO's.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

dont be a gravel belly.

MORTARS is the way forward. :D
PGAC - Complete

TG Course - 17th October
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

RAF Regt snipers attend the 7 week course at the Infantry Battle School in Wales. This is the same course undertaken by British Army snipers.
I have to say I am not certain. I am in the process of joining the Regt....
Without wishing to sound pedantic, but there is a danger in posting second-hand information as fact. If you aren't in the RAF and you aren't 100% sure of the info you are posting...perhaps it is wise to add the comment "I'm not in the RAF, but I've been told that..." to the start of your posts. That way, people will know in what context to take your posts.
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Please correct me if I am wrong Macdui, but some of you info is coming from the joining instructions for past sniper cadres on the net from the ATRA website? In which case the JI's are well out of date and are the sniper section commander course.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Bonjour all, I was at an RAF careers day today and I was speaking with the regiment lads, a few of them were qualified RAF regiment snipers. I remembered this post so I though id ask a few questions. Thought this may be of use to the discussion.

To start off he (a sniper in the regt.) said it was f**k hard and the pass rate is very low. He was telling me about exercises that you go on, on this sniper course. Like u get dropped in the middle of 3-mile radius and u have to track someone down, whilst not being spotted yourself.
-You need to be hot with a map and compass to.
-Also you get given Ariel photos and stuff and you have to identify targets and all that good stuff.
-You stay in OPs quite a lot.
- A lot of camouflage and concealment exercises to, and he said if u get spotted in any of those (like way out of proportion) your f**ked.
- You also have to do an exercise where you stalk someone and stay on their tale for as long as you can without being spotted.
- Also one where you approach instructors on a hill (with a time limit) and you have to approach them without being seen, fire a shot at them (blank!), then if they don’t see you the instructors will tell you to fire another blank round, if you are still not seen you have basically passed that bit. If you are seen you have to go back and start again, but with your original time sill running so you have say 3 hours for the whole exercise and if you have to go back and start again tough luck.

Felt the wait of that sniper rifle to, its heavy!

Oh and by the way he said its 8 weeks long.
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

Without wishing to sound pedantic, but there is a danger in posting second-hand information as fact. If you aren't in the RAF and you aren't 100% sure of the info you are posting perhaps it is wise to add the comment "I'm not in the RAF, but I've been told that...

Fair play, good point Biggles1211, but remember that a forum is as much a place where people can debate and correct each other than it is the last line on a subject. How much of the stuff that you read on here is 100% correct? Not much I would imagine.

rockapemk1 - are you saying that no Regt sniper attends the ITC course in Wales. I thought the Royal Marines were the only corps to run separate sniper training from the rest of the forces. I am pretty sure that Regt snipers have been trained at the ITC in previous years (maybe with the intention of being sniper instructors). Also, when I was talking to the recruiting NCO he said that I could go on the Sharpshooter/Sniper course at the ITC, I trusted what he said but if the Regt's own staff talk bollocks then how am I supposed to know?

Also, how does the sniper course at Honington differ from the regular Army one? from what letsrole was saying it sounds very similar.
Artist

Post by Artist »

When I did me course at CTCRM apart from us Bootnecks we had two RAF REGT guys attending along with a few SAS guys and a couple of Yank SEALS. It was back in the seventies so I dare say the whole agenda has changed.

As it was, it was the only Snipers course in the British armed forces in them days, as the Army had binned the Snipers course a few years before.

Artist
rockapemk1

Post by rockapemk1 »

Macdui wrote: rockapemk1 - are you saying that no Regt sniper attends the ITC course in Wales.
Nope not at all. At Artist has all ready mentioned im sure they do, the same that they send some Ruperts on PCBC and NCO's on Junior/Senior at ITC Wales/

Just asking because you gen has sentance's that seem to be a direct copy from the ATRA sniper section commander course thats all.
Macdui

Post by Macdui »

afterall you are not even in the RAF yet!!!

Thanks for clearing matters up lads. I may not be in the RAF yet, but the whole bloody service better watch out because I start my Basic Recruits Course next month! That'll get the bloaters at 2503 Sq on their feet, god knows they need to get their lard asses off that sofa.

The Recruiting NCO was referring to the fact that I could attend the 2 week L96 Sharpshooter couse at ITC if I didn't have time for the full monty. Looking forward to becoming a Rockape though - even if only a part-time Rock!