Share This Page:

FITNESS AND EXERCISE ROUTINES

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
liftmeister

FITNESS AND EXERCISE ROUTINES

Post by liftmeister »

WHAT DOES EVERYONE DO FOR THERE FITNESS ROUTINES, SO THAT THEY ARE AT PEAK FITNESS BEFORE JOINING. IF ANY OF YOU ARE IN TRAINING LET ME KNOW SO I KNOW WHAT TIMES I AM COMPETING WITH ON RUNNING AND WHAT AMOUNTS OF PRESS/SIT UPS I AM COMPETING WITH
Death is Gods way of saying you failed selection
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

3 miles in 24 minutes (8 min mile), at least three times per week is the basic minimum.

3 miles in 18 minutes is fast (6 min mile).
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

1xsession interval (sprint training) walk/jog/sprint using sides of football pitch. 20mins plus duration.

next day or two rest.

1xGym session total body workout, basic exercises only.

next day or two rest.

8.5 mile increasing each week by 0.5-1mile ,steady pace jog.Time taken not important, longer the better

next day or two rest.

tempo run. 1mile out, 2min rest, 1mile back. increase mileage by 0.25m each week. I get 6.30 to 7min miles pace so fairly comfortably hard.

8.5 mile run, same brief as above

repeat cycle.

try doing core body exercises like pressups/situps everyday but every two weeks have one week off.

Eat plenty of carbs and food thats gonna energize you. Allow plenty of time after meals before you train or snack light, then you will have loads of oomph in your training. Finally STRETCH and 10min warmup jog before you hit the roads/dirt tracks, I believe doing this prepares you better mentally therefore your able to push harder whilst training.
'Every man an Emperor'
Pringle

Post by Pringle »

Is this the same for NCO training?
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Absolutely no idea mate! This routine is what Im doing as suggested from my physio and my own experiences of trial n error! I find it works and it has gotten me alot fitter in a relatively short space of time. Due to injury a few month ago I couldnt run for more than 10mins without pain in my leg/hip now Im out for about an hour and a half with gas in the tank!
'Every man an Emperor'
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

Is this the same for NCO training?
When in Service, the level you need to reach for the bleep test is determined by your sex and age. It doesn't matter what rank you are.

If, however, you mean NCA (non-commission aircrew) then you have to attend OASC..and you DO need to be fit for that!
RobT

Post by RobT »

Biggles1211 wrote:3 miles in 24 minutes (8 min mile), at least three times per week is the basic minimum.

3 miles in 18 minutes is fast (6 min mile).
Bloody hell. I busted my guts out on my first go at it and did 1.25 miles in 10 minutes. I need to add on another 1/4 mile i know.

How many meters is quater of a mile? More than 250 and less than 500...errr :fadein:
daywalker

Post by daywalker »

If, however, you mean NCA (non-commission aircrew) then you have to attend OASC..and you DO need to be fit for that!
Sorry Biggles 1211 but as far as i'm aware you don't need to be that fit for OASC. Level 11 on the Bleep test is Excellent!!! And that is the only physical test you do!!!!
"ARE YOU SMILING BOY"
"NO SIR JUST GRITTING MY TEETH"
876 Troop
mattt_h

Post by mattt_h »

theres 1600m in a mile so a 1/4 is 400
Because i am
CWO_NCH

Post by CWO_NCH »

If you want to work on your speed do pyramid efforts, do a 10 min warn up the go hard for 1 min, have a 1 min recovery, then hard again for 1.5 mins with a 1.5 min recovery. Go like that till you get to 5 mins then wotk down again. You'll need about an 8 mile run to do this. Hill efforts are also good, just sprint up and jog down and see how many you can do!!
Diego

Post by Diego »

what about the strenght side of it do you need to be stronger or fitter???
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

Top Tip....go to your local AFCO and pick up the fitness brochure given out by the Royal Marines for their candidate....it contains a useful graduated fitness programme that will prepare you well for RAF entry. :wink:
liftmeister

Post by liftmeister »

raf is more about cleverness,determination and leadership skills, fitness is just a basic requirement to weed out the people who could pose possible health risks when they are older. just be healthy and have the right skills,
Death is Gods way of saying you failed selection
Diego

Post by Diego »

oh right ok thanks for the help guys, very interesting need to wiegh 10st and i am only 8 and a half long way for me yet lol thanks any way
Biggles1211

Post by Biggles1211 »

daywalker wrote:Sorry Biggles 1211 but as far as i'm aware you don't need to be that fit for OASC. Level 11 on the Bleep test is Excellent!!! And that is the only physical test you do!!!!
Having worked with civvies, I quickly realised that level 11 can be a MAJOR struggle for many of them. Many youngsters simply have NO IDEA what 'being fit' really means (like the guy who recently told me that he jogged 2 miles a day...normally in under 9 minutes!!! :lol: )

The trouble is, they compare themselves with 'average' civvies who do virtually no exercise. Because they are a little fitter than them, they think they've got it sorted...only to get a major shock at OASC.