Share This Page:

HMS Thunderbolt Submarine (Formerly Thesis) sank WW2

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
lordjim

HMS Thunderbolt Submarine (Formerly Thesis) sank WW2

Post by lordjim »

Hi all, I am looking for information, or advice on the best way to get information on the sinking of HMS thunderbolt (N25), a T-class submarine which was downed off the coast of Sicily in March 1943 by an Italian anti-Sub boat who depth charged her....

My 2nd cousin - M Daly was on board when she went down and I am trying to get more information on both him and the sub.

What I do know about the submarine is very interesting.. the Submarine was very unlucky. She was built first day as the HMS Thetis, and on her first ever dive after leaving Liverpool, she sank to the bottom of the Bay after one of the rear tube doors was opened, as well as the outside tube door.. flooding 3 compartments and sinking her.. a failed rescue meant the loss of 99 on board.. she was raised months later and beched near hollyhead. The bodies were taken out and the Sub was refitted and renamed the Thunderbolt before being re-deployed.

It is then that my cousin volunteered to sail on her. It was very successful from her deployment as Thunderbolt up to the sinking in 43.

If anyone knows anything or think they can help then please reply... thanks a million.

James Lordan
Attachments
z_a_hmsm_thunderbolt.jpg
z_a_hmsm_thunderbolt.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 8856 times
OMSSMretd

Re: HMS Thunderbolt Submarine (Formerly Thesis) sank WW2

Post by OMSSMretd »

Try contacting the Royal Navy submarine museum in Gosport they will have photos and archive information about this boat.
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !