Share This Page:

How many here remeber these?

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Wholley

How many here remeber these?

Post by Wholley »

Last time I took a"tot" was in English Harbor,Antigua.
Date is a little hazy as also the reason I slung my hammock under the waiting room chairs for the post office in Nelsons Dockyard.Neaters,not sippers were to blame.Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it :P
http://www.hms.org.uk/nelsonsnavyytoasts.htm
terryrat

Re: How many here remeber these?

Post by terryrat »

What an excellent read i too remember the last day of the tot i was with a detatchment on the rusty "B" better known as HMS Blake a command helecopter cruiser, after it was converted from a standard cruiser 6inch guns front and rear with 4 inch on the upper deck.The things you could buy with a tot were amazing sadly when it went all you had was a spittoon full of beer cans and no room in the galley to eat ....... :(
THE BERET OF THE ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO, He who wear's it does so with pride. He who doesn't has no f@*king concept of how hard it is to attain!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Many moons ago I lived and worked in Antigua and myself and a couple of like-minded madmen re-instated the tot.We managed to smuggle large amounts of Pussers direct from Tortola and so the stage was set for 18.00hrs.every evening.Mostly Booties and Matelots to begin with we attracted some of the local population initially to watch but eventually join in.
Much to my suprise I returned to Antigua in 1991 to find the tradition still going strong at the"Copper and Lumber Store"in English Harbor. :drinking:
owdun

Post by owdun »

The last Tot that I enjoyed was on HMS Glory,she was carrying 42 Commando M.T.from Malta to U.K. 1955,or thereabouts.She was being used as a Trooper and had some Crabs and Pongoe's aboard.
We,all drivers and VM's,were asked to work part of ship,so had the tot as a right,the other er, passengers, were also given a tot,good old Jack,generous to a fault. :D :D The Passengers Mess was between us and the deck where the tot was issued.On my way to the Marines Mess,with our Ration in a Fanny,I came through the Crabs Mess and a Coporal asked me where they could ditch their ration,as none of them liked it,would you believe.I told him to pour it into the fanny I had,and I would arrange for its disposal.Titch Fothergill,our MTO,never did figure why his Marines were always as pissed as crickets every time they turned too after tot time.That was a good trip home.
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

The command to 'Splice the Mainbrace' was given following HRH Prince Charles congratualtions on a job well done during the hand over of Hong Kong in 1997. The Purser on LSL Sir Galahad tried to fob off the Ship's Sgt Maj with some warm beer. He was having none of it and insisted that the correct ration of rum be supplied for the entire EMF.
A good night was had by all those imbibed!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Got the brain cell working now.
Shirley Heights Antigua 1973.Got some intel from the USN listening station just above us.An unidentified Warship was being noisy with her radar,no squark or IFF.Thought nothing of it and the wife and I sought comfort in a final glass of Cavalier.Much crashing and banging around,bos'sns calls and loud Rupert type language ensued and so the arrival of HMS Pheobe was announced.Before Carol and I could disappear into the woodwork two Hookie's and a Three Badge Stripey hove too in the bar and so imbibing continued apace.Not long after a slamming of cab door and an American accent showed up outside.Carol being at this time very friendly asked where he was from."USS JOHN F.KENNEDY we have a berth in St.Johns"He had never had Pussers before and as US Warships are dry he enjoyed a few.USN/RN relations were cemented at this point and for about a week after.JFK's crew were entertained by Pheobe's at all levels.At some point a British FDO lost his underwear to his Female USN counterpart.Pheobe's Seaman Operaters tackled the repair of the dockyard's careening capstans and both Warships left plaques and a few happy hookers :D
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Walter Kovacks wrote:The command to 'Splice the Mainbrace' was given following HRH Prince Charles congratualtions on a job well done during the hand over of Hong Kong in 1997. The Purser on LSL Sir Galahad tried to fob off the Ship's Sgt Maj with some warm beer. He was having none of it and insisted that the correct ration of rum be supplied for the entire EMF.
A good night was had by all those imbibed!
Remember that I was on Trafalgar as part of the Ocean Wave task force, happy days!
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

Bizarre, I didn't realise you guys were with us, because all we seemed to do was anti-submarine manoeuvres!

That said, it was a hoofin' run!
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Trenchant was out there too, can't remember if Galahad was in Fremantle after but that was a good run we had divisions and then went out on the lash in rig!
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !
Walter Kovacks

Post by Walter Kovacks »

The entire Commando Group was scattered across the flotilla.
And we chopped and changed LSLs every now and then.

I think I was on Galahad, Percival and Geraint at various times throughout the deployment.
We left the ships at Singers and flew in light order to SA for the live firing phase; our heavy kit caught us by ship a few days later. After SA it was back to good old blighty for some decent beer!
terryrat

Post by terryrat »

Just a note you can buy a bottle of the nectar a 70cl bottle of 54.3% proof its now called The Black Tot for £610.00 jeeees think i will stick to my bottle of blue lable pussers
THE BERET OF THE ROYAL MARINE COMMANDO, He who wear's it does so with pride. He who doesn't has no f@*king concept of how hard it is to attain!