Share This Page:

I'm interested in the RN but...

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
ztjboxmanz

I'm interested in the RN but...

Post by ztjboxmanz »

I'm worried about my medical history for something when I was age 7, and don't want to get my hopes up and then later on find out I cant join because of something stupid in my medical history.

I had 3 different fits when I was age 7 and they couldn't find out what it was, so they put it down as epilepsy, they gave me tablet medication but I stopped taking on my own accord. I'm fit and healthy and now age 20 I have had no medical problems since then.

I cant seem to find a phone number on the RN website that I can contact regards to my medical history eligibility.

I would very appreciate if any one can help me...

I'm 20 years old and need to get on the career ladder, once and for all.

Thanks for reading,

regards
Last edited by ztjboxmanz on Fri 13 Jun, 2008 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ztjboxmanz
just_me

Post by just_me »

Alright first off, Recruiting staff arn't officially allowed to answer medical questions (some may anyway) which is why there is no phone number/e-mail address ect. However if you have started an applcation, you can write a letter to the Medical staff with details of your problem and hand it in to the AFCO where it can be forwarded to the medical staff.

Otherwise I don't know, perhaps a few people on this forum might know but I would understand not wanting to post certain things on an open forum.
ztjboxmanz

Post by ztjboxmanz »

Ive added to the main post.

Is there anyone that can help me?
ztjboxmanz
davo141

Post by davo141 »

it may be similar to asthma, it could be all depend on when you last had the medication prescribed, i believe it you have to be clear or asthma medication for 4 years to be able to join, im sure DOC possibly may know better, if not pop into your local AFCO and ask for a medical officers number or get them to phone, they should be helpful!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
Doc

Post by Doc »

If you have been diagnosed with epliepsy then to be blunt for you ze war ist over.

You could seek a civvy medical opinion to back up your application, but if you get to the AFCO they will refer the matter to the medical staff. If they bin you outright you could request an opinion from defence medical staff, but why would they bother.

I know you WANT it but so do many others, and budgets decree that the fittest will survive.

There is medical opinion now that you dont grow out of asthma, and "childhood" asthma returns at a later stage dependant on health, econmics, work place etc. Same could be said for epilepsy.

If you were diagnosed with epilespy the epileptic you are, sorry but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I think your first step is to get yourself checked out by a consultant after referral from your GP. I was going to say you could swing it by saying it was febrile convulsions, however at 7 you were too old to have them really.

GP, Consultant referral, consultant appointment, scans, tests, feedback, 6 months?

Good luck

Doc
Doc

Post by Doc »

PS...you are legally still being prescribed medication, it doesnt end just because you stop taking them of your own accord.

So the four year rule doesnt count, you need to be given the medical all clear and then a doctor stops prescribing you the pills, then four years go by until all clear.

Put the telly on and watch stars wars from a distance of one inch, if you get to the end and havent flipped out and bitten your tongue you may stand a chance!!

FFS Dont really attempt that, its a joke to ease the tension :o
ztjboxmanz

Post by ztjboxmanz »

Thanks for the reply doc.

I could watch Star Wars like that without any problems lol

Because it wasn't epilepsy!

It was where I would wake up from a dream and I thought I was still in a dream.... but I would call it sleep walking lol.

But because they couldn't find out what it was, they put it down as epilepsy. I remember having the brain scan and them saying there was nothing 'wrong' or 'different' with the scan..... so god know what they put down.

I hate it though because it was just something stupid and Ive had nothing since, and If i had a problem I would of thought me doing boxing for 6 years would have brang out the problem lol.
ztjboxmanz
jason77

Post by jason77 »

sum1 i know had a hole in his heart and wen he went for his meddical they sent him for a review and he was passed so jus give it a shot