Share This Page:

The grass isn't greener on the other side.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Gary_amsterdam

The grass isn't greener on the other side.

Post by Gary_amsterdam »

After deciding during my phase 1 period that although the army was for me, I wanted to pursue other things in life first, all I could think of for a while was getting back to civie street to be able to get on with it.

After about 30 seconds of getting back I realised what a huge pathetic fool I had been, there was nothing here, civilian life is shit. Yes, I know, ‘I TOLD YOU SO’. Please don’t rub it in. Oh well, I’m only 19, may as well get some education and travelling going over the next few years before I re-apply to fulfil my dream.

(this will give me some time to perfect my ironing skills ;))

Gary, a stupid Irish guy living in Amsterdam. (not a good combination)

anyone who ever thinks of leaving..... don't, you will forever regret it and after only 2 days out be dreaming of being back in, and waiting for your next shot at it,
Last edited by Gary_amsterdam on Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am :

admin-mong
drill-mong
DAOR-mong
:D

(ps. stay in )
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Dont look back.

Dont have regrets.

Dont say sorry.

Crack on :)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Yup, what he said. Civvie street does offer opportunities, there's a lot you can do, but keep in mind what you really want to do in life outside military service.
Besides, being 19, you actually still have plenty of time as long as you don't pressure yourself, which would tend to paralyze.
When I was 38 and considering a career change, I qualified for a police exam, even placing before younger candidates in the physical test. The physical is very far from military requirements, granted, but at 38, smoking two packs a day, I trained myself enough to make it (it's the final interview which nailed me :o ).

At 19 and being a non-smoker, I'd say you still have many more options left.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Life is what you make of it, take your chances when they appear, and go for it. There will be times when life is hard but if you stick at it then things will get better.
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Gary, if you would take your mind off that young lady on your avatar you might be able to see where you are going. :lol:

It has all been said really. You are young enough to have a look around and experience different things before making up your mind. All the best in your future endeavours.

Aye - Andy. :drinking:
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

I think if anyone here were to have a pop at you they'd be totally out of order. We all make mistakes and usually something good comes out of it. Every cloud and all that :wink: Good luck in whatever you do Gary. Life has a funny way of throwing things in your path for the right reasons I'm recently noticing so you never know, that could have been the best decision you've ever made. I think I'm getting old and sensible :o :lol:
Waiting for my rocket to come.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Gary..... ER is right...Just get out there and enjoy life to the full and most of all TRAVEL... Travel broadens the mind, gives you perspective so that when that opportunity arrives on your doorstep...You will be sure to know what to do and not Hum and Harr about it....Whatever you decide to do.... Good luck and God's speed
Aye
Mike

Who, by the way.... Has had the luck to have done most things and has had NO regrets.
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Gary_amsterdam

Post by Gary_amsterdam »

seems some people didn't understand me. I regret coming out of the military!
I want back in lol!
I am :

admin-mong
drill-mong
DAOR-mong

(ps. stay in )
Gary_amsterdam

Post by Gary_amsterdam »

url to my section photo (quite large)

http://members.ams.chello.nl/m.lilley/army/3section.JPG
(check out the air-ass bandits ;) )
I am :

admin-mong
drill-mong
DAOR-mong

(ps. stay in )
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Theres a saying(s)- ''The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page''-St Augustine.......also....... ''A man is a sucess if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do''-Bob Dylan..........ALSO.......''i discovered a meal between breakfast and brunch''-Homer Simpson
Lance

Post by Lance »

WE TOLD YOU SO! :D

Good luck for the future mate!

Lance
"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction."
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
Tab

Post by Tab »

What shame the people din't understand you then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

So they let you out that quick, eh? Bloody hell I put in my DAOR after 1st week at phase 2. Come week 8 I was still there.
Good luck with whatever you do, anyway.
P.S which one's you on the photo?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Gary_amsterdam

Post by Gary_amsterdam »

bigbart wrote:So they let you out that quick, eh? Bloody hell I put in my DAOR after 1st week at phase 2. Come week 8 I was still there.
Good luck with whatever you do, anyway.
P.S which one's you on the photo?

bottom right.
I am :

admin-mong
drill-mong
DAOR-mong

(ps. stay in )
BenChug

Post by BenChug »

They are all quite young looking.

Average age for being in the battalion o'ver here is probably 21 plus.
If a man has nothing he is willing to die for then he isn't fit to live.