Share This Page:

Bad Lads Army - The Way Forward?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now several of you have said that you would not want to have some beside you in action that did not want to be there. Well there several million National Servicemen that did not want to be there but still did a good job. They at one time formed the back bone of the best Regiments and units in the British Army and handled them selfs very well. We learned our trade in order to survive and took the same risks as a regular and some times even greater risks for a fraction of their pay. They fought in some of the roughest combats zones seen since the end of WW2, and please don't try and compare the Gulf Wars, or the Falklands with the 3 year battle that took place in Korea, which again was mainly fought by National Servicemen.
garytait

Post by garytait »

Tab,

I could not agree more regarding your sentiments on National Service and indeed during it's tenure those who served extolled the highest virtues of what being a soldier is all about - the good, bad and indifferent.

All I would say is that the young men who served during this time did so from a society that that had a much much closer link to what life could be like without our armed forces and what they were able to deliver for the rest of us.

Nowadays there is no means by which those who would otherwise have no contact with the military to have contact and engage with it, unless it is through the media.

I still feel that we need more young people to participate and get involved in all asects of community life and indeed the military.

I have the utmost respect for those who served as a national serviceman, I volunteered and love it - those guys did not volunteer but I believe we had a much better community with those guys in it.
1st to follow, last to forsake.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

I wasn't actually thinking of this as anything to do with the actual army/services themselves. I was saying that it should be handled in a military-style way. Joining the services is a universal & unique experience. It's not just the bull & discipline. There's so much to be got out of military service. As Tab was saying, even though they didn't volunteer, National Servicemen fought with outstanding bravery & courage during the Korean war, and I take my hat off to every one of them. However, in those days society was different. Crime wasn't as bad, there was respect for your elders, schools were disciplined, and you respected and obeyed the laws & powers that were.

Now, God help us, it's all different.

A scheme like this would provide valuable work for ex military folk and those leaving the services. I can quite believe that resettlement is no easy thing, and this would be a welcome addition to jobs on offer after the military.

The pros far outweigh the cons.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

I also think that back in the days of national service, the young were a more robust lot. There was still crime, there has always been crime. But my generation and the generations below aren't made of the same stuff as our old dads and grandads. (Except in my case, my father has always been a pansy. I take after my mother :wink: )
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Lance

Post by Lance »

That is true. The generations before us were made of much tougher stuff. I'm no expert but I guess it would be down to the attitudes and society that was back then. Back then people were told what to do. You did not have a choice. Nowadays you cannot tell anyone to do anything or you could end up with your ass in court. There is so much legislation regarding Human Rights and discrimation that you cannot fart near anyone without facing a lawsuit.

Here is one example. An employment agency could not specify in an advertisement that the person must be "Hardworking" as someone who was not "Hardworking" would feel that they were being discriminated against and would have a case under employment legislation.

Talk about a clown culture!
"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction."
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Lance wrote: . An employment agency could not specify in an advertisement that the person must be "Hardworking" as someone who was not "Hardworking" would feel that they were being discriminated against and would have a case under employment legislation.
Another example- (this one's from the USA, mind.)
A burglar trying to get into a woman's house fell through a skylight and landed on a glass table. The table smashed, obviously, and he was severely injured. The tw*t then sued the woman for putting him at risk by having the table below the skylight. He won the case.
Perhaps if she had left a bath full of sulphuric acid below the skylight, she wouldn't have been sued?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Tab

Post by Tab »

After WW2 you still had birching, and penal servitude, which to you lot was hard labour. The word rule of thumb comes from the law that a person that got birch should not be beaten with a stick thicker than a mans thumb. Now manslaughter was a crime that would get you ten years hard labour if found guilty, if punched some one and they died for any reason that was manslaughter. If you where involved in a crime and some one died that was a hanging offence, no if's or but's, just that short drop to meet your maker. It is not as if we where better than todays youth, but we all knew that justice could be very swift and harsh.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
luke

Post by luke »

Having been the victim of a mugging and assault last night/early hours of this morning by a gang of "chavs", it's made me open my eyes to the state of todays "yoof" (I'm only 21 myself, but a model citizen of course ;))

Some little shits need a short sharp shock
Vladek

Post by Vladek »

Is it really a good idea to take a bunch of chav's give them military training and then realease them on society???

they Changed when they were in the but was that just becouse if they didn't they'd be punished? I wonder what happens when they go home to their old surroundings and friends?

Like that camp in america, they sent a bunch of unruly kids over to it and in the camp they basically got nothing and had a harsh time over there, but they adapted there and did things right cos if they didn't they got punished, when they got back they just did what they liked in most cases.

Maybe send the parents to boot camp teach them some manners and their kids will follow?
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

luke wrote:Having been the victim of a mugging and assault last night/early hours of this morning by a gang of "chavs", it's made me open my eyes to the state of todays "yoof" (I'm only 21 myself, but a model citizen of course ;))

Some little shits need a short sharp shock
Luke, sorry to hear about that, mate. Hope you find the little c@#t and do 'em over. Be careful though, u might be breaching their human rights and being discriminating against "chavs" and you'll be sued for millions of pounds in the European Court of Human Rights.

It's like the smacking issue as well. What next, eh? I got a clip from my mum(!!) all the time and it did me no harm at all. Got me to respect my parents/elders. How do you discipline young 'uns now??
Vladek

Post by Vladek »

Boxingmad wrote:
It's like the smacking issue as well. What next, eh? I got a clip from my mum(!!) all the time and it did me no harm at all. Got me to respect my parents/elders. How do you discipline young 'uns now??
send them on a skiing holiday?
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

All expenses paid for by us, the loyal taxpayers, who actually suffer at their hands. Now we have to pay for them to enjoy themselves in the hope that they won't re-offend. Of course, to go on a nice holiday like that again, they'll have to commit a crime again.

Isn't life great??