Share This Page:

Martial Law

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

If we just shot more people doing wrong or atleast slapped a belt buckle through their teeth like in the old days we'd be better off.
Yeah Stix that would be a funny club.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Anyone mention the 'education' word yet? 8)

I mean, we can't just rely on reactive measures if we're hoping to be effective, can we?
snyder

Post by snyder »

Whitey, thing is that I don't want to have a gun. I don't really trust myself with it, and the idea that I personally need it would be a degradation of my quality of life. That doesn't mean I'm anti-gun or that I want to take yours away. I just don't want to have it be necessary.

Frank, I am totally with you on education. In prison, that's where the one-third comes in. People should be given remedial opportunities. There's also something to be said for not being so permissive in the regular public schools when it comes to discipline, etc. No one is done any favors when idiots and bullies and thugs disrupt a school.

I went to a Catholic grade school and they didn't take any guff from anyone. And no, the nuns weren't whacking people and the priests weren't buggering anyone. (Not me anyway ... was I left out? Should I sue for being excluded? :)) It was a great learning environment. Discpline is a lot more important than class size if you ask me.
Phildo

Post by Phildo »

Thinking back when I was in college, I think one day that I was in uniform, I was walking with one of the guys from a lab class. Most guys in my upper level classes were foreign, but everyone got along well.

One day one Asian guy asked me, “Why do you have crime, here? (he meant America).”

I said, “I dunno, because we have criminals?”

He gave me that long drawn in breath, with a terse look – that I knew from working with him, meant – “You are a dumbass, but I will explain this slowly . . . “

He slowly said, “In my home country – (I think he was from Singapore.) it is different. We do not have crime like America, back home. Our police only have to deal with kids, or traffic, or maybe someone with a radio too loud.”

Then he said, “I am asking because you in the Army, right?”

I said, “Yeah.”

He said, “In our Army, if you have done well, You may be selected to do an additional two year duty tour. You are given a black uniform, and you remove criminals from society.”

I asked, “Where do they go?”

He said, “We do not ask.”
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

I don't think I'll visit Singapore anytime soon... :o
I tend to belch LOUDLY after I've had a few, and I've been known to fart in elevators (considering the skyscrapers they got over there, an elevator ride with me would be a crime)...
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I loved Singapore.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

Whitey wrote:I loved Singapore.
Singers crime rate almost zero, safe to walk the streets, mind you I don't know what Bugis Street is like these days, apparently zero drug and chewing gum tolerance.

Whitey:-

I'm beginning to pick up on y'all southern accent an'all, the only trouble is where I come from they speak as Dahn Sarf. I might just go down to Stonehenge and wear a white cloak and a pointed hat that should kick some ass an'all. Have to get me some of them cowsh!t kicking rednecks on my side too, what d'ya reckon on buddy boy? :lol:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Take today Spanners. MY buddy Bill told me to turn on the news, I did and a convict escaped from the jail. He asked me if I wanted to go look for him with shotguns, Rebel flag, truck dog, you get the picture. But I declined, just too tired today. Plus the Po-lice here might get mad if we caught this guy before them.
I never was in the Klan, neither was my dad, but we have family in it. Nothing exciting like on tv anymore. Just guys getting together blaming everyone for their problems and bbq'ing. Excuse to get away from their wives. I've only seen the Klan dressed up once or twice as a kid, once in a parade and once at a fair.
Yeah you'll be southeron alright Spanners, it's just a state of mind really. :drinking:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Wait I take it back, I saw the Klan in action once when I was 8 I think. The neighbor liked to hit his wife for no reason and the Klan came by and beat his ass silly for abusing a good woman. My dad grabbed me out of the yard and took me in the house and the next day a man came over with a wrapped toy to appologize to my dad for me seeing that whole thing. Well it was a Snoopy Fishing pole. I just remembered that. I might have been younger than 8. How old are you in 1st grade? 6? Maybe I was 6.
ELP

Post by ELP »

snyder wrote: This has taken all kinds of career criminals off the streets here. What also helped in the 1990s was when the Clinton administration funded something north of 50,000 new police officers (the numbers are disputed -- Clinton said it was 100K, his opponents said no more than 45K). Between those two things plus having built enough prisons to hold the criminals, cities in the U.S. are safer than at any time in my memory. It's really remarkable. The change in New York City is nothing short of miraculous. I saw it "before" and have been there many times "after." Truly amazing. Their former mayor, Rudolph Guiliani, deserves a lot of credit, and so does their former police commissioner, Bratton, who dramatically professionalized law enforcement there.

yup
[b]ELP[/b]

[img]http://www.defrep.org/graphics/cell.jpg[/img]
snyder

Post by snyder »

There is only one problem with Singapore. Apparently they have a real birthrate problem. The men are going sterile. There can be something such as too much order. :) As for the South, it's a great place. The place to go is Little Rock, Arkansas. Forget Clinton, blah blah blah. This isn't the opening to a politics comment.

Little Rock is the most southern big city I've ever visited. Stay at the Capital Hotel. It's about 150 years old (young by U.K. standards, I know), well restored. They have these huge elevators. I asked why they had elevators the size of a small hotel room, and the answer was: "Hoop skirts." The rooms there are very nice, and you get a free breakfast in the morning complete with cat puke ("grits") if you choose.

But the best thing about the Capital is that they haven't succumbed to the anti-smoking Naziism of many less civilized northern states. You can smoke in the bar, and that includes cigars which they sell there. By the way for any Americans here, if you want to buy authentic Cuban cigars on line, visit this website. They strip off the bands, mail you the naked cigars and then mail you the bands separately. They're the real thing. I've been smoking cigars for 25 years and can tell. It's a Spanish company, which means the best prices in Europe. Stay away from the Cuban Punch cigars. Rolled too tight. But the Montecristo #2s would be cheap at twice the price. :)

Back to Little Rock. The restaurant is Doe's Eat Place. This was Clinton's favorite but don't hold it against them. It's a run-down looking place with indoor picnic tables. You have to see the steaks to believe them. I don't think you can buy one that's less than about 3 pounds. Also, they've got a market (Riverwalk or something like that) where you can get some great barbecued pork sandwiches and stuff.

Little Rockians (Little Rockers?) are friendly southern folks, finest kind. The time to go is November if you hunt ducks. The state is on every major flyway and therefore it's duck hunter paradise, and duck hunting is close to religion there. Otherwise maybe October for the leaves. Too damn hot in the summer time. Tidbit: A while back they renovated the governor's mansion and the guv and his wife had to move into a trailer. The New York Times called it a double-wide, which immediately caused speculation that the guv was putting on airs, but his wife corrected them and said it's not a double wide it's a triple wide. I think the guy lost his next election.
ELP

Post by ELP »

Wasn't Singapore the place where that dickhead American got kained for vandalism? Or was it somewhere else?

Singapore does sound fun. Haven't been there yet.

For people that have grown up in the country like myself, a gun is just a tool nothing more. A single or double shotgun, maybe a rifle to take other game ( Michigan, where I am from a shotgun with slugs is good enough for deer given the short range they are taken at) A lot of people I know didn't have a handgun except maybe for fun or if it was a war trophy. They just aren't all that useful. ( I like handguns for fun but don't own any guns now ) Anyway, it is all how people are brought up and their environment. I didn't first touch a gun without parential supervision. Period. Seeing as some urban trash might not have that option to have firearms explained to them: Go figure. A handgun in South Central has a different connotation then one out in Clovis New Mexico. There is nothing wrong with not owning a gun either ( just stating the obvious ).
[b]ELP[/b]

snyder

Post by snyder »

ELP wrote:Wasn't Singapore the place where that dickhead American got kained for vandalism? Or was it somewhere else?
It was the place, and I must say that I thought it was a great advertisement for that form of punishment.
ELP

Post by ELP »

Never was big into duck hunting. The taste was never all that great IMHO. Pheasant on the other hand ( I miss Pheasant hunting ) tastes awesome. I drove up to Little Rock once to visit my sister who traveled there to give a seminar on dog show judging ( thats what she does LOL ) anyway in other half of the damn hotel Louis Farakhan was giving a seminar. I almost walked directly into him and a bodyguard as I walked out a door. Said Hi to him, LOL. I don't agree much with LF but always had listened to him on CSPAN as he is an interesting speaker, so I at least knew who the hell he was. Anyway sorry for the off topic. LOL

:drinking:
[b]ELP[/b]

snyder

Post by snyder »

Funny you should mention dog show judging because I remember how I was going to get a weimariner and went to the dog show to check them out and maybe find someone who'd sell me one. The dogs were fine but the breeders were weird, so I looked in the paper and bought a german shepherd instead. Now, what were we talking about?