Share This Page:

9/11

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Ploggers

9/11

Post by Ploggers »

This is a website that has been created in the US to remind everyone what the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were about (putting the bush/blair thing aside)

It's a bit cheesy in parts but its worth reminding ourselves what about what happened that day.

http://attacked911.tripod.com/

Be patient - it's 7Mb
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

I still find it hard to see how that Justify's the war in Iraq.
Ploggers

Post by Ploggers »

Iraq is questionable maybe but Afghanistan; Bin Laden, training camps etc...
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

That morning, I turned on the telly minutes after the first plane had hit. Some time later I saw the second one hit, "live".
Then people began leaping off to their deaths. That was nightmarish.

I'll leave it at that.
USARMY_

Post by USARMY_ »

I don't have enough info about what, IMO appears to be the misguided, war on terror in Afghanistan and Iraq. What I do know is that there are countries like Iran and The Sudan that are known to sponsor terrorist.

They have known terrorist training camps within their borders and terrorist from their lands have killed Americans. If their were countries that needed invading countries like these logicaly speaking would be at the top of the list.

As far as any one can tell no Iraqi has ever been responsible for the death of a US citizen. 3,000+ US citizens were murdered on 9/11, a date that in all likely hood will be the defining moment in many of our lives much like Pearl Harbor was to earlier generations. I feel those people who were murdered deserve more than justice, the deserve avengence.

Hind sight is always 20/20. But if it turns out that the young men from a host of countries marched to war in good faith on a fools errand to kill and be killed; then their deaths will be the saddest of all. It stands to reason to honor their memory and their families unneeded sacrifice, revenge would be deserved.
First to Fire!!!

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ploggers

Post by Ploggers »

Aye, we can debate all day the rights and wrongs of the war but when I looked at this site it brought back the desolation, the disbelief and the intense sorrow of that day.

We may have incompetent political leaders and with Iraq particularly they can't even rely on the hindsight excuse. Afghanistan I feel is different becuase there is no doubt that there were Al Queda training camps there and it's fairly likely that 9/11 was planned within those borders. I think that Bush has every right to attack Al Queda wherever they may be and give them the same level of mercy that they gave to the people who died on 9/11. The liberal bleeding hearts can cry all they want to but this organisation must be destroyed. When you fight terrorism it has to be with the swift sword of death.

Anyway putting all that aside, I just thought it was worth reminding ourselves what happened that day.
USARMY_

Post by USARMY_ »

Afgahnistan is frustrating to me. Read Richard Clark's book "Against all enemies".
First to Fire!!!

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Ploggers

Post by Ploggers »

A quick word on the US enquiry into 9/11.

Why is it that on both sides on the atlantic we seem determined to find someone to blame for this atrocity? Bush/Clinton/CIA/FBI etc. Whatever your politics it is generally accepted that none of these hijacked the planes or flew them into the twin towers or the pentagon.

The blame lies with Bin Laden and his cronies, nowhere else.
USARMY_

Post by USARMY_ »

I don't think anyone is trying to place the blame on anyone for the actual acts. The feeling here in the USA is that there was knowledge prior to the events that al-Qaeda was planning to attack in the manner in which they did. Either through incompetence or complacency or just down right wanting a war the people charged with keeping us safe did not do their jobs.

Think of it this way, if an automotive worker whose job it was to ensure that the cars were safe coming off the production line had been given memos by the engineers of flaws to look for. But this worker either ignored the memos or possibly was just derelict at his job resulting in the death of 3000+ people. You would want some answers.

BTW, the 9/11 commission report isn’t worth the paper it was printed on. That was the first bipartisan thing the republicans and democrats have done in my life time. It must have something to do with it being an election year and both parties ( Clinton & Bush) were asleep at the wheel.
First to Fire!!!

wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

America recieved a baptism of fire it was that simple, the nation probably was complacent about being attacked, but consider the last time the mainland US was attacked by foreign forces? I don't know when this was, probably in the War of Independence & it was probably done by us! Sometimes people need a shock to awake them to the problem, it's very sad that the shock had to be on this scale, but at least America is now awake.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

"Baptism of Fire"
But you don't remember the last time it happened.
You'll stay a wannabe wth remarks like that.
Wholley.
:evil:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Well Wholley you told him. I was hoping to say something, but you pretty much said it all in less words than I'd have used.

9/11 was one of those things, when the IRA hits you Wannabe we here don't say "Well it was about time, you needed tyo wake up."

Those jokers killed that morning had no military value. They didn't need to be woken up.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
USARMY_

Post by USARMY_ »

When you say "trial by fire" do you mean burning to death in jet fuel?
First to Fire!!!

wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

I wasn't at all making light of the attack or making a pun. I was defending the US powers that be for not being prepared. Maybe I poorly phrased the statement but nontheless meant no mallace by it. It's a shame some members of the US actively funded the IRA & acquired arms for them due to poor reporting of the actual reasons for the situation in the states. But that has occured. Believe me I meant not to make mallace but simply state that the US was unprepared for the situation as you no doubt agree? And the nation was complacent, i simply put forward a reason for this. Believe me I remember what happened, i'll never forget. Apologies for a poorly phrased post.
USARMY_

Post by USARMY_ »

wannabe_bootneck wrote:I wasn't at all making light of the attack or making a pun. I was defending the US powers that be for not being prepared. Maybe I poorly phrased the statement but nontheless meant no mallace by it. It's a shame some members of the US actively funded the IRA & acquired arms for them due to poor reporting of the actual reasons for the situation in the states. But that has occured. Believe me I meant not to make mallace but simply state that the US was unprepared for the situation as you no doubt agree? And the nation was complacent, i simply put forward a reason for this. Believe me I remember what happened, i'll never forget. Apologies for a poorly phrased post.
Dooly noted.

One thing about the IRA and the USA, I don't think England truly understands America’s connection with Ireland. Somewhere around 1/3 of our population, if they dig deep enough, can track there families lineage to Ireland. Myself included. The English and The Irish have been, in one form or another, at war for over 600 years. I have never heard on the news or read in the paper about IRA supporters being rounded up here in the states, but I'm sure money is funneled out of the country to support the IRA just like Arabs have businesses and charities that funnel money to Al-Qaeda. I do sympathize with the innocent English people being killed by the IRA but ultimately its a fight the English picked in the 1400's that continues to this day. There are parallels to the US vs. The Muslim world conflict. However I hope the British government and it's people don't believe that their support on the war on Islamic fundamentalist will persuade the US gov't or Americans to aid in your effort against the IRA.

I know this post will piss a lot of people off, but that is not my intention. I was just trying to be realistic about the situation. It's a very sad thing indeed.
First to Fire!!!