Share This Page:

info on Scotland

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?

Scottish Midges ????

Scottish Midges do they hate every one
70%
Scottish Midges Do they hate The English only
30%

Total votes: 20

Scouse G

info on Scotland

Post by Scouse G »

Going on holiday in Sept (annual camp actually) on the west coast of Scotland, just up the road from Faslane, as it is a RN establishment, I dont suppose any of you kindly folk have any Gen on a place called gearelochhead(sp), nearest Pub, clubs , Night life etc , KNow ALL about the midges ,english hating type and am getting prep, d for battle with them
any info gratefully received
Cheers
Scouse G
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :-?
ALL ways look on the Bright side of life.
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

lol, i can quite safely say they hate everyone mate! The wee buggers are forever biting me when i'm out training!!

As for Garelochhead, check these links in google for some good info on the place: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie ... ad&spell=1

All the best,

Cinder
got1

Post by got1 »

Scouse G,
Bad news mate, Garelochhead has one pub and 90000000000000000000000000000000000000000 midges.
Seriously, Helensburgh will be the place to do your local supping.
On the midgey front ,I don't know if you are aware, but the best midgey repelent is ,Ding Dong Avon Calling. I suffer from midges and anything else that bites quite badly and I've tried all the old wives remedies and the issue stuff [good if you don't like somebody, put it on there car] and the best I have found is Avon Skin So Soft [Woodland Fresh].
The only problem is you might find the Navy and the locals may pay you abit of attention.
PM me if you want more info, but I'm sure there will be somebody on here that has serve d at Faslane .
Tony D

Post by Tony D »

I advise full body armour and a radiaton suit for full protection from them.
Mince

Post by Mince »

Go to Arrochar at the top of Loch Long. Lots of mountains to amble about round there and a pub that welcomes travellers, bikers etc. There's a campsite too.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Take waterproofs. Preferably Goretex. Thermals may be handy. This is Scotland after all, and look at the weather we're having on the south coast of England at the moment.

If you're wearing full coverage clothing, 100% DEET works a treat for mossies...available from any good outdoor shop. Kept me bite free for a month in the Vietnamese rainforest and highlands. DO NOT SPRAY ON BARE SKIN...trust me :oops:
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Scouse, PM on the way.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
Scottish Thistle

Post by Scottish Thistle »

Take waterproofs. Preferably Goretex. Thermals may be handy. This is Scotland after all, and look at the weather we're having on the south coast of England at the moment
No idea what you could possibly be meaning - it's actually summer here! :D
Live well - laugh often - love much
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

[quote=Scottish Thistle"]it's actually summer here! [/quote]

Could have fooled me, you didn't show me the scottish summer when I was up there last. :P

Still, at least somewheres having a summer :(
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Scottish Thistle

That WAS summer. That's about as good as it gets!
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

I'd better remember to bring me Mac' next time then.

Or would I be better with a dry suit :lol:
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

The nearest town to Gaerlochhead is Helensbrough. Which is about as exciting as watching Big Brother. Things may have changed in the last 4 years though.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
rabby

Post by rabby »

You can all take the piss out of the Scottish summer, but while you people have been getting floods and thunderstorms the last few days, we've had glorious hours of sunshine. Makes a change. :P
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Scottish Thistle

rabby wrote:You can all take the piss out of the Scottish summer, but while you people have been getting floods and thunderstorms the last few days, we've had glorious hours of sunshine. Makes a change. :P
We have indeed, as you can tell by the copious amounts of Scots who are that lobster red colour that only us Scots can possibly go :P :lol:
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Most Jocks have to go white first don't they?

Purple-White-Pink-Red (lobster) :D :D Peel then Purple agin..DOH!!
"Every man an Emperor!"