Share This Page:

Partner going into raf, need advice, opinions etc

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
alexaxo

Partner going into raf, need advice, opinions etc

Post by alexaxo »

Hello,

My other half will be singing up to join the raf soon, and although I am completely supportive of him as this has always been his dream I feel like I have so many questions and worries and no one to talk to or get support.
I feel totally new to all of this, I have never had a family member or friend go into the armed forces. I have no idea what this might entail. I've done my fair bit of research and visited several forums learning about peoples experiences of having a partner in the armed forces, and so far I have only frightened myself further! Everything I have read seemed to be so negative, stating how on-base family living was a "rank run nightmare" and how the time away ruined their relationship. I can understand how long periods of time away especially considering the circumstances can take a strain on a relationship but I am now absolutely horrified of him signing up! I understand that his job would entail him to move around a lot and change bases and whilst I'm completely supportive of this I myself am currently studying to be a paramedic and I feel a sense of uncertainty about how this would work out to such frequent relocating. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me stroke my head and tell me it's going to be ok, but Just some advice and reassurance!
Thanks
Tab

Re: Partner going into raf, need advice, opinions etc

Post by Tab »

The RAF is a steady job very little risk if any. There can be some great postings overseas and were ever you go any where paramedics are always in demand. As the RAF is a military organisation then there certain rules that are followed but most of the time these are very relaxed and you will soon learn when these rules are to be followed and when they can be relaxed.
Hyperlithe

Re: Partner going into raf, need advice, opinions etc

Post by Hyperlithe »

Alexa, get yourself over to www.britishforcessweethearts.co.uk - it's a forum specifically for women with an association with the Forces that I also belong to (under a different name)
There are a lot of lovely ladies who will help answer your questions and set your mind at rest.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours