Share This Page:

High Court hearing: allegations of abuse by British troops

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
TheInternational

High Court hearing: allegations of abuse by British troops

Post by TheInternational »

A hearing took place at the High Court last week over allegations that British soldiers used unlawful questioning techniques during the Iraq conflict (2003-2008). Lawyers representing 192 Iraqi civilians have called for a public inquiry.

The articles below give a little information:

'Iraqis claim British troops acted "with Brutality" '
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21241088

'Iraqis receive £14m compensation from MoD'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20815501

What are the thoughts of British soldiers and their families? Does this threaten to paint a vast number of British soldiers in a bad light? Does it represent a failing of the system to adequately educate soldiers? Does it undermine the contribution - and hardship - of soldiers who want only to represent their country?

Thoughts please!
TheInternational

Re: High Court hearing: allegations of abuse by British troo

As an add-on to this, anyone who has a particular interest in this - or has first-hand experience, whatever that may be - is more than welcome to talk at length. I am seeking to get an insight into the issue for an article to be published by The International (the international.org)

Thanks
Tab

Post by Tab »

Just what is needed is for some walter to give a story and next thing is that it has become fact all over the world
TheInternational

Who are the ones responsible, then, for making these "stories" into fact?

And what's your personal experience of all of this?
timex

Post by timex »

Whats yours?

Sounds like an ill informed journo trying to find a story....
TheInternational

My experience comes from researching the issue from all sides, as a journalist should do. I'm not searching for a story as such - the story already exists. I'm just trying to gain a bit of balance. The hearing at the High Court last week called for an inquiry based on the 192 claims made (and 800 or so more that have bee recorded) and that is what has made the headlines. My worry is that the views of ordinary soldiers (like those who use this forum along with their families) are not always heard, and that when statements are made suggesting that torture is an "institutional" and "systemic" part of the conduct of the British Forces, those soldiers and their families do not get a chance to offer their own first-hand experience.

In that respect, yes, I am looking for a story. But I am looking only to make it balanced, rather than preventing ordinary people from having their say. A forum such as this seemed a good place to start.
TheInternational

Please do get your frustrations out if you have them.
Tab

Post by Tab »

To write a story like this you would have needed to have served there and watched many people die including your friends, You just can't understand what it is like by surfing the net while looking for stories. During the Falkland war there was story that Paratroopers were cutting of ears of the enemy for trophies. After a lengthy investigation by Scotland Yard and the Military Police and hundreds of Argentine bodies being exhumed nothing was found. Yet this story tarnished the sacrifice made by the Paratroopers and in many cases it is thought that some of the military awards given to the men that fought there was down graded in case the stories proved to be true.
TheInternational

I completely understood that I cannot for a second understand what it must be like for a serving soldier - nor would I wish to. And please believe me when I say that I am not after a story like that. I am not trying to suggest that I know how it was.

What I want to do is for someone to talk to me about it. The hearing at the High Court has suggested that British troops systematically abused Iraqi civilians, and that this sort of practice was not isolated. They have a certain amount of evidence. I am not taking sides on this, but I do feel that people such as those that use this forum, deserve to have their voices heard. People who served in Iraq can speak up and say, 'that did not happen', or 'that was not the whole story'.

Please understand that I want to put into the article the voices of all sides. At present, the only side that have given their direct views are those who have condemned the conduct of the British forces. My hope is only that someone on here would speak up and give a first-hand view.
timex

Post by timex »

No frustrations just a complete and utter distrust for your profession.

I do feel for the honest press writers amongst you but having seen the facts distorted, total untruths being told and a general need to "big things up" I'm afraid that silence is golden.

As to the suggested evidence, it will always be difficult to disprove...and remember the "Where there's blame there's a claim.." fraternity.

Good luck...