Share This Page:

Barber Shops

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
smooth58

Barber Shops

Post by smooth58 »

Having visited a traditional Barber Shop from an early age.....

The type with a frosted window

I am now finding it more and more difficult to find....

So I have decided to do a project and record any interesting and fascinating ones that people may have a story to tell ?

Military towns use to have lots ?
Millar

Re: Barber Shops

Post by Millar »

There's an old traditional sorta town near me called Ormskirk that's turning more and more into a student Town since the building of the University Edge Hill, but that has about 3/4 old fashion style barbers.
smooth58

Post by smooth58 »

Millar wrote:There's an old traditional sorta town near me called Ormskirk that's turning more and more into a student Town since the building of the University Edge Hill, but that has about 3/4 old fashion style barbers.
That sound interesting do you visit them /
Millar

Post by Millar »

I have once or twice but I usually only shave my head to the 1 or 2 razor settings for convenience I'm not really very adventures with my hair unfortunately
Tab

Post by Tab »

When I was in it was short back and sides and once over the top which left with little more hair than an egg. In Aldershot there used to be a large barber shop in the Naffi Club at the bottom of Gun Hill
smooth58

Post by smooth58 »

Tab wrote:When I was in it was short back and sides and once over the top which left with little more hair than an egg. In Aldershot there used to be a large barber shop in the Naffi Club at the bottom of Gun Hill
Interesting because I will be going to Aldershot next week.
However I do not know when you were there last ?
Because north of the canal all the barracks have been acquired for demolition for new housing.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I was there in the 1950's when it was a garrison town and filled with thousands of soldiers. I must admit as a posting I liked it as it was full of entertainment for the troops, pubs, dance halls and cinemas where all over the place and with a fast train service to
London I could get home to Kent in 50 minutes
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Tab"]When I was in it was short back and sides and once over the top which left with little more hair than an egg. In Aldershot there used to be a large barber shop in the Naffi Club at the bottom of Gun Hill[/quote]

Tab, surely you remember "Paddy the Chop" in Albuhera.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I was stationed in Albuhera Barracks long before the Browning Barracks were planned, but I must admit I don't remember the barber that you mentioned
smooth58

Post by smooth58 »

Tab wrote:I was stationed in Albuhera Barracks long before the Browning Barracks were planned, but I must admit I don't remember the barber that you mentioned
Had to cancel my trip to Aldershot due to an illness in the family
But will be going soon .
I will give you an up date....very soon
smooth58

Post by smooth58 »

Tab wrote:When I was in it was short back and sides and once over the top which left with little more hair than an egg. In Aldershot there used to be a large barber shop in the Naffi Club at the bottom of Gun Hill
The NAAFI now is a Burger King
Tab

Post by Tab »

That Naffi Club in Aldershot was very well appointed with reading and writing rooms bars and restaurants I must admit it was the best Naffi I was ever in and the whole place carpeted through out. It also had large windows on the first floor that openend from floor to ceiling so that we could throw the crap hats out in style.