Share This Page:

Seriously contemplating career in the military

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
D. Robertson

Seriously contemplating career in the military

Post by D. Robertson »

Hey folks,

My name's Dave Robertson. I'm looking to enlist this year after I graduate from my politics degree. I've got a couple of reservations but not about the usual things (at least I think). I don't mind the fitness aspect, I am perfectly good with subordination and I am dedicated to the work I'll be doing, however, I just got married and there's only so much time I'm willing to spend away from my girl. Three month basic training we are cool with but officer training is like 48 weeks and that's some serious time to spend away. We want to move into military housing but will they let me live there during training or what?

So either way just getting registered and saying hey. Hopefully I'll be joining the ranks in the next few months

Dave
Eddiek1989

Re: Seriously contemplating career in the military

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Have you thought about the possibility of a 6-7 month tour of duty in a place like afghanistan, that you may go on 6months after you finish your officer training? And in them 6months between training and going on tour, the 4months pre deployment training wher you will be away from home for a number of weeks at a time?

Its not just during training you are away, its a whole chunk of your career!!

And no, you cannot live in married quarters during training.
Eddiek1989

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Oh and what would be your preferred regiment to join by the way?
Firstmate

Post by Firstmate »

If they are the reservations that you have before you join, heaven only knows how you will cope with the reality.

Best advice for you is, FORGET IT.

Try McDonalds, you won't have to move, they have great promotion prospects and free scran.

You need to "seriously contemplate NOT having a career in the military"
Yer tiz
Tab

Post by Tab »

Why not join the RAF as that life style might suit you better
owdun

Post by owdun »

Why inflict him on the RAF,Tab,he obviously is totally unfit, mentally, for the Military life.I consider it is an easy life today,with six month overseas postings,phone calls home etc.etc.but he wants it even easier.Gawd 'elp us if we ever have a real war. :D :D :evil:
Tab

Post by Tab »

Well they all live very comfortable lives on the Aerodromes and he could at his desk all day and watch the planes go by.