Share This Page:

English flag

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Eddiek1989

English flag

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Hi all,

I found out today that the St. Georges flag was not the original English flag. It was adopted sometime in the 17th or 18th century depending on which website i look on. I also found out that St. George is the patron saint of a number of countries, and was a roman who never set foot in england.

What i would like to know is, what was the original english flag? Does anybody know this and the meaning behind the original design?

Im quite interested now to find out more about it, ut through a very quick internet search i havnt been able to find any more info. I will keep looking though.

So yeah, any help would be appreciated guys!
Thanks
Tab

Re: English flag

Post by Tab »

Try the crusades
Eddiek1989

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Thanks, looking at crusades i have found a flag like the england football badge, 3 lions except on the flag its gold lions on red background. Before that it was just 2 lions. The 2 lions represent England and Normandy, the 3rd lion was added to represent the single leopard of Aquitaine. (or thats what wikipedia is telling me!)

Still searching though so hopefully uncover something more.
WOW! That hurt.

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

I think before the crusades they just used a variation of the royal standard.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Why don't you just google it? There is noone on this forum who can give you more info than you'll find on a search engine!??!?
Eddiek1989

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Sisyphus wrote:Why don't you just google it? There is noone on this forum who can give you more info than you'll find on a search engine!??!?
Like i said in my post, i have looked and i did find some things on there. Was just wondering if anybody had an interest and had researched this before or have any ideas what to search. If Tab didnt say crusades i wouldnt have found the history i did.