Share This Page:

Could someone identify the Army officer in this photo?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
mikejb

Could someone identify the Army officer in this photo?

Post by mikejb »

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone here that might be able to identify the army officer shaking hands with the person (my now deceased uncle) in the photograph I've linked to below? The photo was taken in 1949 and my uncle had just won a boxing competition, though I don't really have any information on which one unfortunately!

Anyway, here's the photo: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike1962/T ... --1949.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Mike.
Tab

Re: Could someone identify the Army officer in this photo?

Post by Tab »

As this took place over 60 years ago there can't be many people around who was there or who would know the person. Also there are a number of officers in the picture so which one are you talking about. There are signatures in the bottom left hand corner of the photo, the tall officer is from the what looks like the guards and that might be an avenue of enquiry
mikejb

Post by mikejb »

Tab wrote:Also there are a number of officers in the picture so which one are you talking about.
Hi, Tab.

As I mentioned in my initial post, it's the officer who my uncle is shaking hands with.

I realise of course that the chances of anyone knowing who that person is, especially over such a long time period, are extremely small, but as they say, if you don't ask, you don't get. :)
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Who's the midget in the front?! :D

I take it your late uncle was Tommy Blears? A featherweight.... (and probably looking to punch the lights out on the barber who gave him that haircut in your photo...)
(here with Jackie Turpin............ thankfully his tackle isn't popping out the bottom of those shorts) He fought Jackie in 1950 and knocked him out.
Tab wrote:.....the tall officer is from the what looks like the guards and that might be an avenue of enquiry
No, them be Royal Artillery bombs on the collar of the officers (difficult to tell for absolute certain from this photo as the only difference between Royal Engineer bombs and Royal Artillery bombs is that the RA bomb has nine 'flames' coming out of it and the RA bomb has seven! My eyesight ain't what it used to be!!) But the midget at the front seems to be wearing an RA cap badge (again, difficult to tell) so that's where I'd start.

Trying to work out what the writing is.... " NCB Champ (?) 1948... Runnerup 1949 (?)"
EDIT: I've looked him up and confirmed he was the National Coal Board Amateur Boxing Assoc featherweight champ in 1948 and was beaten in the finals in 1949.

I'll post the photo on another website and see what pops up. It would help though if you had any idea which regiment he was in.... (assuming he was RA). It would be easier then to go down the RAA route...

EDIT:I assumed your uncle was Royal Artillery with National Service but you know how dangerous it is to assume..... No mention of whether he served in the army. Maybe the soldiers just came to watch one of his exhibition bouts and no direct link with Artillery?
As for chasing down an ID of the officer or any of the other faces on display I'd post the photo on a suitable forum with a larger number of detectives than we have on this quiet old website....
To save me the bother you might want to register with the Royal Artillery Association forum ( http://forums.theraa.co.uk/) and ask around in there and post the same photo up.. There are just so many units to randomly choose from, some of which are now disbanded, that the officer may have been with. Some of the Old & Bold on those websites would probably appreciate having a new photo to look at too. Might find the son of the midget in the front for instance...

Or are you the person that's been flogging off Tommy Blear's 'Sterling Silver boxing trophies' at £380 a pop and is hoping to make some more money from this photo if you knew what it was about?
http://silver-antiques.org.uk/380-00-st ... b-one-off/
(If that is you in the link I take it English isn't your mother tongue? :roll: )
we am no consultant upon silver, as well as a assorted sites we have checked have offering varying sorts upon recommendation as well as additionally warnings about a perils of we do it wrong approach to do it! For this reason, we have finished zero most some-more than to give it a buffing up with a soothing cloth.
Que?