Share This Page:

Some genuine advice needed

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Nero

Some genuine advice needed

Post by Nero »

As you may know, I've wanted to join the Army for years now...but every now and then I get the urge to do something else, but what I want to do always goes back to joining the Army. For example, at the moment I'm studying a business diploma at college, and the original plan was to join the Army next year once I've finished. But every now and then I get the urge to carry on with business at university, but then 2 or so weeks later I'm wanting to join the Army again. It's making me very indecisive, but I don't want to regret it when I'm older (which is what I can imagine if I don't join the Army)...is there any advice you can give me. It's not as if I don't want to do either of them, but at certain times one of the options is always stronger than the other...

Thanks guys, you've been a great help! :D
Tab

Re: Some genuine advice needed

Post by Tab »

I think that you will find most of the regulars on this site will tell you to finish your education then this will open a wider range of choices for you.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

What tab said. :)
"Chin up, crack on"
Nero

Post by Nero »

Cheers lads. Yeah that is the plan to be honest. Just don't want to go into the rat race and regret not joining the army when I'm in my 40s.
WOW! That hurt.

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

Why don't you just go to Uni after your time in the service? That's my plan.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Tab

Post by Tab »

Wow......Often by the time you leave the forces you have got married are about to..and you wont have the time or the money to go to Uni. Or you will need to start to build a career out side of the Forces and two to three years at Uni would make a bot old for some employers.
WOW! That hurt.

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

Tab wrote:Wow......Often by the time you leave the forces you have got married are about to..and you wont have the time or the money to go to Uni. Or you will need to start to build a career out side of the Forces and two to three years at Uni would make a bot old for some employers.
Well I'm 22 now, the contract says you have to stick around for 4 years that will put me in school when I'm 27 and graduating when im 30/31. Doesn't sound too old to me. I also intend on saving the money I earn in the forces to pay for my education.

It sounds like Nero is younger than me so there is no reason why he couldn't do that.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Tab

Post by Tab »

You come out of Uni when you are 31, employers will be looking for candidates that they can mould into their Corporation, and some one much older could be looked upon as some one with fixed ideas. Also it is easier to get your education while you are young and used to studying, and which ever way you want to go you are still young enough to take that path
gash-hand

Post by gash-hand »

Lots of Uni's are now offering degree course by distance learning and there's no difference between studying distance learning or on campus as far as the award and degree's worth is concerned.

Just about all of the command courses in the forces now attract civvy quals - you just need to pay the registration fee (and pass the course obviously ;))

My experience of civvy companies is that once you get past 21/22 then they aren't looking at you as someone they can train/mould, they'll be looking at you as an experienced hire. A few years in the mob plus a management qual and/or a self study degree will get you the interview, and to be honest that's about all it will ever do.

Why only look to join for 4 years tho? If you going to join then at least join with the intention of doing 22, you may change you mind once you're in, but I'd be buggered if I'd go through Lympstone again if I only had plans to do 4 years :)

Only caveat I'd say is that if you are looking to go on a graduate recruitment program then think carefully as a lot of them do have age limitations.
Nuisance
iidesu

Post by iidesu »

you do seem to be an indecisive man, dude. :roll:
Nero

Post by Nero »

iidesu wrote:you do seem to be an indecisive man, dude. :roll:
Hence the thread.
darylc

Post by darylc »

Put it like this, you're 80 years old and sat by the fireplace, thinking about your life. Would you be prouder having served in the army or having increased quaterly profits by 0.2%?

That's how I view it whenever doubt crosses my mind (which isn't often)