Share This Page:

Death Of The Modern British Forces? (discussion)

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
WOW! That hurt.

Death Of The Modern British Forces? (discussion)

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

I've been reading about the cuts that this government has undertaken and is planning to undertake and was curious to how closely you guys were following it and if you had any opinions. I don't intend to spark a political debate in the terms of Liberal vs Conservative or this party vs that, just mainly what you think of the cuts and the direction it is taking our armed forces.

A couple articles I have read are stating that the current agenda does not intend to leave the British Armed Forces "trimmed" of redundancies and excess, as it is stated, but instead is to cut it down to a small force that will be comparable to the German or Dutch Army and, more importantly, never to serve as a fundamental part of a serious open conflict. In short, Britain's force projection will no longer be as a major player, but instead a purely supportive role no longer able to pack a serious punch on its own.

What do you guys think about that line of thought? True? False? and if so Good? Bad?
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Tab

Re: Death Of The Modern British Forces? (discussion)

Post by Tab »

Agreed that we are not a major force in the world, BUT we do have the capacity to project our power over vast distances. This is why the European Defence people are always after us to put our forces under their control. We are one of the few countries that has lifting capacity to move our heavy armour around the world by air, we also have nuclear submarines and our airforce is equipped with some of the latest fighting machines around. So we may be small but we can still pack a punch.
WOW! That hurt.

So do you believe that the cuts could be threatening that capability?
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Tab

Post by Tab »

As this country will know doubt carry one fighting small wars, then we should be okay. Still if WW3 breaks out then we could be in trouble
soldierboy

Post by soldierboy »

I don't really think we're in a position where the number we have in the forces will be detrimental to anything in the future. Nothing is going to kick off world-wide where we are desperate for more numbers.
You can either surf, or you can fight!
alan.p.

Post by alan.p. »

soldierboy wrote:I don't really think we're in a position where the number we have in the forces will be detrimental to anything in the future. Nothing is going to kick off world-wide where we are desperate for more numbers.
The British are a tough race has Hitler found out. The Bulldog spirit will always be there and if any country brave enough to nip the Bulldog's backside, better be aware.
WOW! That hurt.

soldierboy wrote:I don't really think we're in a position where the number we have in the forces will be detrimental to anything in the future. Nothing is going to kick off world-wide where we are desperate for more numbers.
[/quote]

Well, the Argentine President has been kicking up a stink over the "Malvinas" islands once again and there is some political indications that they may be so bold as to have another go in the not to distant future. If that scenario were to arise, the former leader of the 1982 task force, Sir Sandy Woodward, stated that given the current situation with HM Armed Forces the Falklands were "now perilously close to being indefensible".
Eagle9294

Post by Eagle9294 »

I have always thought you guys were at least the fourth most powerful nation in the world.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

You're right. The three other more powerful nations are China.
Eagle9294

Post by Eagle9294 »

Sisyphus wrote:You're right. The three other more powerful nations are China.
USA, Russia, and China, imo.