Share This Page:

Project Support

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Guy_

Project Support

Post by Guy_ »

Hi Everyone,

I hope I have posted this in the right place and that I am allowed to! I'm sorry if its not and I cause offence.

My name is Guy and I am a final year engineering student from the University of Nottingham. I was wandering if any of you would be able to help me by giving me your first hand experiences? I am currently looking at redesigning and improving the ammunitions box.

At the moment I have an old H83 ammo box but the project will extend into many variations and differing sizes.

However the main point is bringing it up to the 21st century, just like the weapons of today.

To do this I really need user input from people like you who have had first hand experience using an ammunitions box in real life. Whats good, bad, where you think improvements need to be made etc. This can be anything from how easy it is to run with or what you use it for once it is empty? Unfortunately my experiences only extend to a few years in the CCF!

Any experiences you can give me about any type of ammuntions box would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for your time :D
timex

Re: Project Support

Post by timex »

To be fair its a proven design that will be difficult to beat.

Good points:-

1. Rugged & reliable.
2. Easy to stack.
3. Holds most SA ammunition (if not all).
4. When full not too heavy to carry around.
5. Good size for a small toolbox.
6. Remove the lid, sort out the link and its very good for use with GPMG on SF mode.

Bad points:-

1. Carrrying handle not great (But flat packs for storage).
2. Opening system could be easier.
Guy_

Post by Guy_ »

Thanks for your reply! That is really helpful. I know I have a challenge on my hands! Did the ammo box you used have a form of feeding system for any GPMG? Could I also ask what the procedure is on real operations? Do you take the ammo boxes out with you and then leave them behind or is it a case of loading up before hand?
timex

Post by timex »

No probs, their is no specific feeding system for the box in use with the GPMG. All we did was open the lid rearrange the link to feed the right way and off you go.

On Ops the ammo would be split up prior to moving out usually every Marine/ Private would get 50-100 link for the move. Been a while so things may have changed although you wouldn't want to carry the boxes with you.
got1

Post by got1 »

I have never seen GPMG belts in this container, I have seen it with 50 round bandoliers 7.62.
In my day GPMG ammo came in liners containing 200 rnd belts.
timex

Post by timex »

Got1, spot on got my boxes mixed up. :oops: