Share This Page:

Child Tax Credit and scroungers!!!

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
MSI64

Child Tax Credit and scroungers!!!

Post by MSI64 »

Was discussing the Govt changes to child benefit and tax credit.
She doesnt understand why we dont claim for Child Tax credits all 545 quid a year of it??
I told her we didnt need it so I wouldnt be applying for it.
Now am I crazy to turn down money Im entitled too or have I got a right to rant from my moral high ground??
Your thoughts please?
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Child Tax Credit and scroungers!!!

Post by Beast »

Well my opinion is that you have worked hard and been hit hard by paying full tax to the government.
So why not grab a little back!
Tescos moto... every little helps. ;)
And sure it does with the increase to 20% VAT next year, were going to be hit hard and it hasn't even started yet.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When I was working I asked them to stop child benefits to my family as they were taking more back in tax than they were paying me......geuss what....they refused
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

@Tab, im not suprised... Pure madness! :roll:
timex

Post by timex »

Nice to see that you won't claim for your kids, but, when you consider how much tax you pay and that Child benefit isn't taken into account by them you should claim it!
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Thanks Timex, but I dont need the money. I can live within my means and really dont want to take anything out of an already empty pot
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

timex

Post by timex »

Pity more didn't think like that...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... B-JOB.html
minetoyotaistkaput

Post by minetoyotaistkaput »

If you don't want it mate, then give it to children's charity.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Giving it to charity is a good and noble idea, but I would still be taking cash that isnt there

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

I have to agree with your wife. Maybe you don't need it now - but are you really sure when it comes time for your youngster(s) to go to university you'll be able to support them in the way you'd want? £545 a year put into a children's building society account might come in very handy in the future. If not for university, then for a deposit on a house, vocational training, grandchildren's needs............ The list is endless.

Just editing this with another thought which could be less distant in the future. My wife became ill in October. In November the GP agreed to refer her to a consultant - the appointment was in February. I couldn't sit back and see my wife suffering for another 3 months without even seeing someone who might be able to help, so we booked to see a consultant privately. Money we could ill afford [no pun intended] but it had to be found. The consultation cost £180 for about 20 minutes. The medication [which can only be prescribed by consultants, not GPs] cost another £78.

The problem has been diagnosed but not cured.

So you may feel 'comfortably off' at the moment but you never know what's around the corner. The empty pot you mentioned is so empty that I couldn't get proper medical help from the system and we had to pay our own way despite having paid tax all our working lives and never drawing state benefits. Maybe you should anticipate the effects of the empty pot and build up a pot of your own, just in case you ever need it.
Sniper84

Post by Sniper84 »

I know I'm new here, but I say take the money and rant all you like anyway. You've paid your taxes all your working life & the government does everything it can to take cash from you so get every penny you can out of them. If some asylum seeker can drain the system of a lot more money (taken from your tax deductions, no doubt) than 545 quid a year, then why can't you take what you're entitled to? It ain't theft, or scrounging, what they're doing is theft and scrounging, you're just taking back what you have paid in.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.
Sniper84

Post by Sniper84 »

timex wrote:Pity more didn't think like that...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... B-JOB.html
Giving a thick chavvy tart like her that sort of money for doing sodall is just asking for trouble. What shocks me is that she actually admits it in a newspaper. I couldn't believe it when she said having loads of kids would be the only way she could afford the boob job she always wanted. Bloody sickening. Thick, lazy wastes of space like her really get under my skin. And she openly admits she's never worked in her life! But it's perfectly OK for the government to leave someone who has paid all their taxes & worked their guts out all their lives with next to nothing?