Share This Page:

Hi from New Zealand

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
go_the_paras

Hi from New Zealand

Post by go_the_paras »

Hi all -

I'm a first-timer here from New Zealand. In spite of my nick, I'm a civvy - I do, however, have a soft spot for the Paras, having read a couple of books about their experiences in the war in Afghanistan ("3 Para" and the follow-on book "Ground Truth"). Given that, I decided to mention them in my nick.

My family's experience with the military - my father was in the Royal Navy during WW2 (as a radio op - he was "headhunted/poached" from the NZ Navy, if I remember correctly). I think the reason was that he knew Morse code, and there was a desperate demand for Morse at that time.

One of my big concerns for the future of Western countries is the increasing influence of Islam, and I spend a lot of time every evening on another (quite well-known) forum which debates (and attempts to debunk) Islam. I don't mean that as a slur against Muslims, the people - I do try to separate the ideology (and it *is* a cult/ideology rather than a "religion") from the people who follow it. Anyway, I have no qualms about stating that Islam is bad and it is dangerous.

I have great concerns that Western countries are very much unprepared for the kind of "jihad by stealth" that is currently being mounted against them. By that, I mean the gradual, creeping increasing influence of Islam, with its followers asking for (and usually getting) more and more concessions from governments and councils. As you're probably aware, the U.K. already has Sharia courts, although I understand they're only for things like divorces and property disputes - at present, anyway. That kind of concession is not good, to put it mildly. Nothing was ever gained by appeasement - I think the Western world should have learned that from history.

Anyway, that'll do for now. I'll try to pop in here regularly in the weeks and months ahead.

Finally, I want to mention my sincere thanks to all those who have served in the forces (and particularly those who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan). I can think of no more difficult part of the world in which to serve, and no more vicious and ruthless enemies than the insurgents and terrorists over there.

Bye for now -
go_the_paras
Tab

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Post by Tab »

Poached for knowing Morse code...........In those days nearly every Boy Scout knew Morse code and the the Semaphore Signals.
go_the_paras

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Post by go_the_paras »

Tab wrote:Poached for knowing Morse code...........In those days nearly every Boy Scout knew Morse code and the the Semaphore Signals.

Yeah, actually that's fair comment! Anyway, it's too late to ask him exactly what the story was, given that he died in 2000.

What I do know for sure is that he met my mother in Canada. She was in the small town of Collingwood, Ontario (which used to be a shipbuilding town until the mid-1980s). My father's ship was being built there, and that's how they met, so my mother was a "war bride". They came out here to NZ not long after the war.
- go_the_paras