Share This Page:

Do we give the Taliban the respect they deserve.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Fusilier

Do we give the Taliban the respect they deserve.

Post by Fusilier »

[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Tab

Re: Do we give the Taliban the respect they deserve.

Post by Tab »

A very interesting post
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

:roll:

WTF ?

Say again
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
liam115

Post by liam115 »

no i dont think they deserve any because they dont play by the rules i.e. IED's and scuiside bombers as well at targeting innocent people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNyQsH7i ... re=related
application form : done
BARB test : passed
Medical : passed

Training
Fitness : getting better
Run time: 11:02 (needs to be 10)
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Respect?? No
Do we underestimate them??? We did to start with as did the Americans during Vietnam with the Vietcong.
However we have a good background in COIN Ops and terrorist mentality.

Our only problem is we are hamstrung by large undefending borders and not having a valid mission statement.
You cannot fight a war against an enemy that has no real agenda apart from death and mutilation.
The Taliban are a small part of the insurgency within the Borders of Afghanistan.
They have become very much like Al Quada, the term Taliban is used to define any terrorist/freedom fighter operating within Afghanistan.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

I suppose respect means different things to different people.

Yep they use IEDs. Do we feel any guilt that we are superior in every other way. We have no problem dropping a 500lb on a couple of them. There is no rules. Do you think the Americans would have gotten independence playing by the known rules then.

Guerrillas fight with what ever they have. Do you expect them to form a line and advance. Suicide bombers are against the culture of the West, yet if that was all I had.

Why is their sacrifice less that a British solider who may be given a medal for he’s bravery.

N. Ireland should have told us plenty about terrorist mentality.

I tell you this, a peasant to the most part with inferior weapons against the might of the USA, UK and others get my respect.

They are willing to fight for what they believe in and die if necessary. Many of them are doing more than a 6 months tour.

They get my respect as soldiers. Do I respect them like me dad…………………of course not. But as a enemy they are as good as the Viet Cong and many others. Remember they have seen it all before.
Last edited by Fusilier on Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
Dalishus

Post by Dalishus »

Well said mate.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

A 500lb bomb dropped by a professional pilot and guided in by laser to drop on a designated target is massively different from an IED that will kill enemy soldiers and civilians alike?
a car bomb driven into a group of civilians to kill one soldier is different too.

The majority are not Afghans they are terrorist from across the border.
they dont look after enemy injured they dont abide my the Geneva convention, they are not to be respected.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

If you could branch all the atrocities that I have seen in the form of propaganda videos and photos under one umbrella and hold the Taliban responsible for them, then no these people deserve no respect what so ever. They are basically murderers verging on the psychotic NOT soldiers. After seeing what they have done to innocent civilians let alone young soldiers, I personally dont think I would have much remorse for shooting and killing these terrorists in cold blood.
'Every man an Emperor'
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

MSI64

Professional pilot you say. Tell that to the families of the thousands of dead and injured. Yes I know the intent was not there but that will mean little to the families of the dead.

Terrorist is a subjective word. That’s what the Americans were called in Vietnam. Ever heard of My Lai

The problem with talking about the Geneva convention is that they could well point to our treatment of other nations over the years. Talk about the GC to a Boer

Gunner

I have seen some videos that are not to flattering of the American Air force. Funny you should say what you have. Because many front line soldiers respect the Taliban as fighters and soldiers.

Many people hated and despised the SS. Yet the same people will say the were equal to any British or American units.

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Again there is a massive difference between civilians caught in a accident and a IED laid to cause maximum effect or a car bomb deliberatly driven into a market place.

Yes we can talk about the Geneva Convention, We signed it and we live by its code.
Think the Boer War was before the signing of the Geneva Accords Mate.

Soldier is someone who wears a uniform and works within a set of rules and guidelines. Terrorists are none of the above.

Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Again there is a massive difference between civilians caught in a accident and a IED laid to cause maximum effect or a car bomb deliberatly driven into a market place.
Really. Go ask a Afgan mum, dad, brother or a sister who has lost a loved one if there is a difference and wait for the reply.

Code: Select all

Yes we can talk about the Geneva Convention, We signed it and we live by its code.
Maybe they will sign up in a hundred years. Now what? It took us long enough.
Soldier is someone who wears a uniform and works within a set of rules and guidelines. Terrorists are none of the above.
Really. So the French resistance were not soldiers then. And many of the soldiers that fought the British in the American civil war where what? The colonials that fought for the British against the Americans where????

Now don’t forget I am a proud ex British soldier. But I don’t swallow all the crap I am fed. And I can read history for myself.

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Fusilier wrote:
Really. Go ask a Afgan mum, dad, brother or a sister who has lost a loved one if there is a difference and wait for the reply.

Of course there is a difference. Ask a mother of a british soldier and see the answer yoy get!!!

Its not about the incident its the motive

Code: Select all

Maybe they will sign up in a hundred years. Now what? It took us long enough.

So are you saying the Taliban are 100 years behind us. The Geneva Accords are about human dignity and honour!
Really. So the French resistance were not soldiers then. And many of the soldiers that fought the British in the American civil war where what? The colonials that fought for the British against the Americans where????

French Resistance didnt kill innocent people just to prove a point!!!!

Now don’t forget I am a proud ex British soldier. But I don’t swallow all the crap I am fed. And I can read history for myself.
Are you implying Im stupid or taken in??? Thats how that last coment comes across??

Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Are you implying Im stupid or taken in??? Thats how that last coment comes across??

Nope I would not insult you like that.

I have seen the scum cutting off some soldiers or civilians head. I would slot the sh** for free. They want to impose their will/religion on us all. Oppress woman and dictated how others live. They are a throw back to the dark ages.

Yet they are soldiers. Who fight by their rules to win and not ours so as to lose. I respect the fighting skills just as many vets respected the many Germany units. Including the SS.

Would I invite them round my house for dinner with my family…………..HELL NO.

I just think that the media propaganda has a selected memory of our past. I prefer just to be honest.

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Fusilier wrote:

Nope I would not insult you like that.

I have seen the scum cutting off some soldiers or civilians head. I would slot the sh** for free. They want to impose their will/religion on us all. Oppress woman and dictated how others live. They are a throw back to the dark ages.

Yet they are soldiers. Who fight by their rules to win and not ours so as to lose. I respect the fighting skills just as many vets respected the many Germany units. Including the SS.

Would I invite them round my house for dinner with my family…………..HELL NO.

I just think that the media propaganda has a selected memory of our past. I prefer just to be honest.
History is written by the Victors.
But you have to think that our past is our past. Yes we were barbaric but we have moved forward. The Taliban however are still fighting in the old way.