Share This Page:

Metal pins in the hand

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
waynepe

Metal pins in the hand

Post by waynepe »

Xmas eve I went out drinking and got quite intoxicated. Long story short we was daring each other to do random things and I slipped and broke a few bones in my wrist and hand.

The docs have given me a choice to have metal plates and pins inserted into my hand however I know thats a block for entering the forces. If I choose not to have the metal bits they have said I have around a 40 % chance of fully recovering without further implications. The bones have splintered and cross weaved with each other in my right hand so if there is complications they will probably be quite severe malformation and physical retardation.

I have wanted to join the army for a really long time, specifically as an ammo tech in the RLC.

I really dont know whether to go for the plates and wave my army career goodbye or risk going without and maybe ruining it anyway and then ruining any other career in the process.

If anyone could answer a few questions for me I would appreciate it.

1. Is getting plates put in a definite bar to service?

2. after a broken bone how long before I could join?

3. Guess this is the biggest and most personal one but should I risk not getting the plates?
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
xcj

Post by xcj »

hi,

I've no idea about whether its a bar to entry or not so it'd be best to ask a careers office or someone else on here might be able to help.

As for healing times, typically a break of the wrist/hand would take around 6-8 weeks to heal but it sounds like you've done a pretty good job of it so you might find its longer. Did your doc say that it wouldnt be possible to remove the pins if they were put in?

Theres no way anyone on here should be advicing you on whether or not to have pins when the docs have said that if you don't theres a 60% chance you'll lose some function of it - thats 100% your call - but are you really willing to risk not having the full use of your wrist/hand for the rest of your life? That said no matter what you decide, you'll give yourself the best chance possible of recovery if you get to a physio as soon as possible (not yet though as theres not much can be done until its given some time to heal)
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Pins and metal can be a Bar to joining depends on how bad it is??
Defered 12 months from surgery and then its physio another 6 months or so then ADSC and the medical.

You must be mad to actually want to risk having your hand messed up for life, if the Doctors have said Pins then get pins its as simple as that

Finally your an utter prick. In the middle of the joining process and you go and mess about like an idiot???
Well done you muppet
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

i have 3 plates and 4 pins in my right wrist and joined the army 3 and half years ago all they did was make me do press ups in the docs office at selection
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

Ha I knew you would say something like that XD. good job I respect your knowledge.

As far as how bad it is, my ring and little fingers metacarpels have been turned into splinters, I will know tomorrow what work they need to do.

I was told metal pins was a complete bar to entry, and I have always wanted to join the army. If it took 10 years to heal without pins I would deem that better than being healed in a few months and not being able to join. the docs said the pins would be permanent, replacing bones in my hand.

Yes I know it was stupid messing around, but these things happen. I just got to see how things turn out and hope I wont be barred entry.
RC450

Post by RC450 »

I have screw and plate in wrist, not that I am worried as from application form details, once it's a year after surgery with no deformity after healing, full movement and power etc all seems to be well.

My trouble is, I have no medical records apart from the above injury. Never really attended a doctor in all my life, never had any conditions etc.

Went to doctor to have written med filled out, doc wont do it until I have med records transferred to him, don't have any so contacted doc, I have to find details of any vaccinations I've been given, I am having awful trouble trying to find them.

Times ticking so I am thinking of going ahead with med form and have what ever doc can fill out during the time filled out, might be a few blanks when it comes to vaccinations.

Anyone out there, do you think this will result in form being sent back?

Thanks, happy new year.
Training started 10/09

BARB test done

Awaiting medical
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

Turns out I needed 1 pin, I went ahead with the op and now face 12 months wait before I can reapply. Just more time to get my run time down and get more and more fit.