Share This Page:

Philip Laing Sentanced

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Paddysprat

Philip Laing Sentanced

Post by Paddysprat »

Philip Laing, the 19 year old student who urinated on a war memorial has been sentanced. Missing out on a jail term he has been given 250 hours community service.

I Just hope this community service is aimed at a military charity or home. As much as I found this act deplorable and wouldn't pee on Mr Laing if he were on fire, I'm pleased he didn't get the jail term.

Firstley, the community service probably involves more hours than the jail term would. Secondly, I wouldn't be happy contributing to his stay in the nick. Finaly, I hope that if the Community service involves serving/ ex-serving military personnel, this lad will be given a humbling experience. Something he will never forget and will pass on to his kids.

If on the other hand, he is asked to clean the sreets or wash walls. then it becomes a pointless sentance.

Any other thoughts?

PS "Stove his head in" someone was going to suggest it so I thought I'd get in there first :wink:
'Paddysprat' a phrase used when explaining the origins of an 'Army Brats' accent.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

maybe painting coal white with a toothbrush down at colchester for the duration - pointless, but he will think twice about where to take a p*ss in future.

I tend to agree community service and fine was probably the best option. His experience from the public hatred aimed towards him was probably another lesson he deserved. Any community service which involves him being around people that were affected by his action would be very humbling indeed because he would be made to think about what a complete tool he has been.
'Every man an Emperor'
tom163

Post by tom163 »

I too think the sentance was fair and the right one. From what I have read he is very sorry and his future at Sheffield Hallam University may even end short because of this.

Also there was an announcement from Sheffield Police that they are going to set up a project to combat this £2 drinks all nite stuff which promotes binge drinking.

Wether any of the above will happpen??? who knows.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

gunner75 wrote:maybe painting coal white with a toothbrush down at colchester for the duration - pointless, but he will think twice about where to take a p*ss in future.

I tend to agree community service and fine was probably the best option.
I agree with all this except one point - 'he will think twice about where to take a p*ss in the future'.

No he won't - if he's bladdered. This guy (I can't call him an idiot as it would put us all - or most of us - in the same category) -yeah, OK, this idiot was out of his skull and happened to urinate on symbol that is precious to everyone.

And precious to him when he's not frazzled his brain cells with booze. Surely, the lesson for everyone is don't get so p*ssed that you don't know what you're doing. :drinking:

We've all been there haven't we? We've all woken up and not had a clue what we'd been up to the night before.

So the offence was hugely offensive [no pun intended]. Let him who's never been 'non compos mentis' cast the first stone.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Meant 110% light heartedly.
and after what hes done i couldnt give a monkies if he has a slash on a live BR line next time. I thought id give him a break as weve all done something regretable pissed up (but even id sober up when it came to this kind of thing). Fact is laddos today in general dont care less especially the ones not military minded. What I do know is that if I saw what happened before my very eyes, sober - id be reasonable and hand him over (prob bit aggressively due to his state) to the fuzz. BUT if i were drunk and saw that I KNOW id go loopy and so would the crowd i knock about with would. all i can say about this lad is that he is lucky the backlash has not been as severe as what it could of been.
'Every man an Emperor'
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Agreed! :wink: