Share This Page:

maybe fubar... Legion?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
_Mark_

maybe fubar... Legion?

Post by _Mark_ »

so i have this 'friend' who was in the process of re-joining, unfortunately 'they' got into some trouble and are now waiting to go to court. The first offence is affray (max 3yrs) pleaded guilty, the second is witness intimidation (max 5yrs) pleaded not guilty. The issue is, that they have 2 previous convictions, the army say that they will still accept them with 1more, as long as it doesnt involve a custodial sentence. This 'person' is coming up to 24yrs old, if it all goes tits up will be banged up for a while and never get back in the army. There are a couple of options: ride it out and hope for the best, head straight for the legion, or wait it out and if sentenced make a rambo out the courtroom and head for france thus avoiding prison.
The problem is that they dont have a passport, or have time to apply for one. Saying they make it to france without getting caught, will the legion accept their application without a passport? They have other i.d they can take, but is it all worth it? There is nothing else that they aspire to do except rejoin... Some friendly advice needed here.
bored_stupid

Post by bored_stupid »

Don't even think about it, the Legion isn't what you see in the films or read in books. They are heavily oversubscribed so can pick and choose who they want and they do NOT take any criminals.

If you flee for France you'll just end up straight back in an English court with yet more charges against you.

The background checks the Legion Intelligence do on potential applicants is very thorough and the first thing they will do is check if you have any criminal convictions etc with the British police.

You've got yourself into a bad situation but don't be daft and make it ten times worse for yourself.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

For the first time I agree with B_S.The Foreign Legion is not what you see in movies.I know a soldier that served with them and is now a US citizen.
Lives in California(Well someone has too) :D
Got to go,plane to catch.
skidloaf

Post by skidloaf »

Yeah, just to echo the two previous posts, the Legion doesn't take criminals. Very tight checks etc. (unless you're JCVD, then they'll let you back in)
Take your punishment. All could be well and you'll get to join the Army.
B.A.R.B: 86
Interviews: Passed
ADSC: Passed
Intake: January 10th 2010 :D
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Also to agree with the previous posters, the Legion looks upon criminals as lower than the brown stuff on the soles of their collective marching boots.

And your "friend" sounds like a nasty piece of work, I say that as an ex UK police officer who KNOWS the level of evidence that is required in court to secure convictions for affray and for witness intimidation.

The days of the Legion being the bolt-hole for wanted criminals are long since gone, if they ever really existed in more than the minds of those who've romanticised if over the years.

Post-WWII, many German soldiers remustered, and many viewed them as criminals. However, they weren't, they were just soldiers who just happened to end up on the losing side in a war.
The victors write history remember.
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

London Boy wrote:And your "friend" sounds like a nasty piece of work, I say that as an ex UK police officer
ah yes, the typical attitude of a police officer, if they have convictions they must be a descendant of hitler. Perhaps the mindset gets rubbed from one to another in the close quarters around the troff. Seeing as you are so well informed, you will know that the affray only took place because some mong was beating a woman and preceded to threaten people with a glass bottle, people who were trying to help her. You will also know that the man who beat his missus and tried using an offensive weapon, got charged with... nothing... The typical work of uk police officers :x
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Yes, you keep making excuses, while the majority get on with their law abiding lives.If the prison population were ever to be believed then one would be shocked that 99% of them were innocent!
Him wanting to run away rather than face the music & you speaking for him is far more enlightening about both of you than anything you or anyone else would care to write here on the issue.
Steve27752

Post by Steve27752 »

London Boy wrote:Yes, you keep making excuses, while the majority get on with their law abiding lives.If the prison population were ever to be believed then one would be shocked that 99% of them were innocent!
Him wanting to run away rather than face the music & you speaking for him is far more enlightening about both of you than anything you or anyone else would care to write here on the issue.
Well said that man.
Steve :)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

London Boy wrote:Yes, you keep making excuses, while the majority get on with their law abiding lives.
So the next time someone sees a helpless woman being smacked in the face by a bloke twice her size, what would you recomend?

Call the police and wait 20 mins for them to turn up, whilst in the meantime she continues to get punched in the head and possibly bottled?

Just walk on by and think, 'it's not my problem, he probably beats the crap out of her and the kids at home anyway'?

Or step in and prevent her from being assaulted like any decent human being with an ounce of morality?
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

London Boy wrote:about both of you
Great police work there :wink:

Were you 'let go' by any chance...
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Keep digging!
_Mark_

Post by _Mark_ »

I'll take it you would walk on by, and think of yourself as the better person.
:snipersmile: 8)
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

Call the police and wait 20 mins for them to turn up, whilst in the meantime she continues to get punched in the head and possibly bottled?

Make that 45 minutes and then they will want to have a right old look over your car first.

I agree about the Legion by the way. I wanted to join once but I could not speak French.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

You do not need to speak French to join the Légion Etranger.

Errrr it was a joke. :lol:
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

:wink:

3 RRF
Army Colours for Judo.