Share This Page:

Catteirck Infantry training.

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

SandyTheGuvnor wrote:When we get get a new platoon of recruits here they have too write an essay on themselves on what they have done in the past what there aspirations are etc and i would say virtually everyone uses some sort of txt speak when they write it
And this means what?? that we just have to accept it? I dont think so.
Its purile and childish, Is it going to acceptable to write my next Introduction Letter to my next CO in text speak simply because the youngsters do it and we need to accept it? Lets see if he finds it acceptable!
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Some friends of mine use text speak to the extreme, and you can't understand what the bloody hell they are on about. In my opinion it's just cutting corners, missing letters out, so if they do this in the way they are communicating, then god knows what else they will miss out! :-?

Texting a friend on a mobile, yes, but on an open forum for the military, when presentation and first impression's are a must, no! :P
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

personally, id not tolerate crap speak if i asked a recruit to write a brief statement on their life story. im not saying id go out of my way to make them know im on their case (as i feel it can at times let you know where there at interlect wise) id agree being too harsh on here 'may' drive them away. thing is on here everything is real time. there is no rush, no pressure. STANDARDS (in my opinion) do have to be maintaned otherwise the long life of a product will not be as long. I think the good eggs will take on board the advice and try a bit harder to improve the bad eggs wont - so what not our problem. this site has been going full steam for years , i for one do not want co-op dwellers infesting it as a first port of call before they get into reality at the training centres for whatever career they choose.
'Every man an Emperor'
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Got to agree with several posts.

On a mobile phone fair enough where your limits to a certain amount of characters and for effectiveness but...

On a computer and full qwerty keyboard there is no excuse.

This is a Military Forum where to a certain degree correct spelling should be used.

You wouldn’t be using text speak at your local recruitment centre in tests and upon signup etc would you? I’m can assure you won’t get very far. :)
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

im absoloutly crap at punctuation and spelling as i found spendin my time in the magic mushroom fields rather than going to school and learning something usefull but i cant abide txt speak even on mobiles i still try and make an effort even though im a partial spastik LOL so il try my hardest to spell but you can ram youre punctuation up ur crimper LOL
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

How hard can it really be.... you write as you would speak, no-one talks in long sentances without a break or misses out words / letters. f@#k me it's our language, why don't we use it! It's not got to be perfect (my spelling is a nightmare) but use what we were given! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
Deano1987_21

Post by Deano1987_21 »

its not really hard to type on the computer rather than use this text slang AKA (bad fcuking english) if anything its harder to text (bad english) than type it out on the computer, its pure utter lazyness ..............................
Medical - Pass
BARB - 74
First Int - Pass
Second Int - Pass
ADSC - Pass 09/06/09
Chosen Reg - Royal Welsh
Start Date - 15th November 09 ITC Catterick
COMMON LOL.!.!.!.!.!.!
bomb3659

Post by bomb3659 »

It's all abount standards guys. no short cuts, just all hard work and effort!
http://www.body-armour-protection.co.uk
20+ Tactical Brands
Twitter: @intarmour
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I'm going to start a new thread where people can debate the usefulness of texting.
Having lived most of my life in the United States where texting is almost unheard of(along with pointless"U"s) :P I cannot understand why people would choose to barstadise the English language to the point where it becomes incomprehensible to anyone with an"o"level in English.

Repeat please......Repeat please...Call sign calling YOUR MESSAGE NOT UNDERSTOOD

I cannot lay down artillery support without correct co-ordinates.Would send Air support but their having their hair done.Over.
flighty

Post by flighty »

Being a binned mod and total twat I have spotted a zillion spelling and grammatical mistakes on this thread.

If any one gives a shit please PM me.

Jayne