Share This Page:

joining armed forces at 16

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
tomovyick

joining armed forces at 16

Post by tomovyick »

im currently 15 and want to join the armed forces and need some advice#

should i join at 16 or wait, if not what age should i join
should i go to college first
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Well you are the only person who can answer wether you should join or not, nobody knows you that well on here.

As you know you cant go straight to depot at 16 you have to go to the Welbeck defence college first.
just_me

Post by just_me »

For the Army there is also the Army Foundation College (42 Weeks) and the Army Development Course (24 Weeks) for Junior entry.
mr_man_2168

Post by mr_man_2168 »

Depends on what branch you want to join and what you want to do. Ultimately though, it's down to you.
AST - PASSED
Interview - 13/01/09 - PASSED
Medical - 20/01/09 - PASSED
PGAC - 13/04/09 - CANCELLED
PGAC - 27/04/09 - FAIL DUE TO INJURY
PGAC Re-Attempt - 14/09/09 - ?
TG Course - ???
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

I'd go to college first, just so you've got something to fall back on if the army isn't for you.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

just_me wrote:For the Army there is also the Army Foundation College (42 Weeks) and the Army Development Course (24 Weeks) for Junior entry.
Ah yeah forgot about those two :).
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Airborne Legend wrote:I'd go to college first, just so you've got something to fall back on if the army isn't for you.
I'd second this as this is what I’m currently doing, you'll have a blast at collage (at least I am) and it'll give you time to mature plus get that little bit fitter and stronger.

16-18 you should see some serious physical changes I know I’m a hell of a lot stronger and fitter than I was 12 months ago both through training and naturally filling out.

stokey
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Stokey_14 wrote: you'll have a blast at collage
stokey
Hmm....Would this be papier mache or photographic?
Just thought I'd ask as the last time I looked"College" was spelled"College"But then what would I know as I only graduated from one(Well two actually) :wink:
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Don't be a smug shite Wholley, you know what he meant!
:P Know who the Steve Miller Band is now by the way, can't get Take The Money And Run and The Joker out of my head!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Mike90 wrote:Don't be a smug shite Wholley,
ME????A smug shite?????Nothing could be further from the truth(except I'm a smug shite)
Once you get Steve Miller out of your head try the Dave Matthews Band :P
Got tickets for his concert in Hyde Park supporting Bruce Springsteen.
Most depressing thing is their all younger than me :o

Thats one big flute player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9dTXA9v5g
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Wholley wrote:
Stokey_14 wrote: you'll have a blast at collage
stokey
Hmm....Would this be papier mache or photographic?
Just thought I'd ask as the last time I looked"College" was spelled"College"But then what would I know as I only graduated from one(Well two actually) :wink:
:lol: Good call there Wholley, at least it was actually a word I used and not some txt spk a m8? :P

I do try :(

All the best

Stokey the (dyslexic!) college student
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

No drama Stokey.
I have this thing about attention to detail as regards spelling,grammar and punctuation.
I think I inherited it from my English master in high school who would beat the crap out of you if you made one tiny error.
Just as well he's not still around as he would have a fit if he saw anyone using txt spk.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I think every school has one... I was lucky enough not to have ours, because if I had I’d have been constantly under the cosh for spelling, my written word has always been abysmal... no matter what the schools tried :lol:

He's a sound bloke mind and made a cracking p.e teacher (ex military I believe as well)

Stokey