Share This Page:

Two soldiers die in N.I shooting at Massereene Army Base

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
tom163

Two soldiers die in N.I shooting at Massereene Army Base

Post by tom163 »

BBC News wrote: Two soldiers have been shot dead during a gun attack at an army base in County Antrim, the Ministry of Defence says.

A spokesman said "four other personnel" were injured, one of them critically, in the attack at Massereene army base in Antrim, 16 miles north of Belfast.

No one has said their gunmen carried out the attack, but it is thought to be the work of dissident republicans.

Northern Ireland Secretary Shaun Woodward condemned the shootings as "an act of criminal barbarism".

Earlier reports suggested all those killed and injured were male. The MoD said the next of kin of the dead soldiers had been informed.

'Murderous attack'

Mr Woodward added: "My thoughts are with the families of those killed and injured in this murderous attack.

"The contrast between those who serve the community and those who would destroy it could not be clearer. The people who did this will be pursued and they will never stop the political process in Northern Ireland."

The attack was being investigated by the Police Service of Northern Ireland, the statement added.

The soldiers are the first to be murdered in Northern Ireland since Lance Bombardier Stephen Restorick was killed by an IRA sniper in 1997.

All four injured men have been taken to Antrim Area Hospital, about a mile away from the scene.

The condition of some were said to be serious.

'Loud bangs'

It is believed that there were two long busts of gunfire during the incident.

A major security operation is under way and the area surrounding the barracks, which is home to 38 Engineering Regiment, has been sealed off.

Eyewitness reports have suggested the victims were taking a pizza delivery when the shooting began.

One witness who lives near the base told the BBC how he looked to the sky after hearing what he thought were fireworks.

He added: "Then I heard a lot of loud bangs again, only it was a lot more than there was initially - maybe between 10 and 20.

"Then the siren at the army barracks went off. Then all you heard was the police sirens and ambulances and there was at least six ambulances.

"There was definitely six of the ambulances and God knows how many police cars - they just came out of the police station one after the other."

In a statement, Downing Street said everything possible would be done to ensure those responsible would be brought to justice.

"This is a terrible incident that we utterly condemn and the prime minister's thoughts, first and foremost, are with the families of those killed and with those seriously injured in this attack," it continued.

Northern Ireland's First Minister and Democratic Unionist Party leader Peter Robinson offered his sympathies to the families of the victims, and said he would postpone a scheduled trip to the United States.

Mr Robinson said the attack was "terrible reminder of the events of the past".

He added: "These murders were a futile act by those who command no public support and have no prospect of success in their campaign. It will not succeed."

David Ford, the leader of the Alliance Party, said it was "inconceivable" that the attack could have been carried out by anyone other than dissident republicans.

"The important thing is that we must not see politics and the peace settlement that we have, fragile though it is, destabilised by this kind of action," he added.

The attack comes shortly after Sir Hugh Orde, the chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland, requested the Special Reconnaissance Regiment's help to gather intelligence on dissident republicans.

He had said the threat against his officers and military personnel was at its highest for almost a decade.

Mr Robinson said the Massereene attack vindicated his decision, which had been criticised by Sinn Fein.

In 2008, dissident republicans attempted to kill PSNI officers during separate incidents in Derry City and Dungannon, Co Tyrone.

Security forces defused a 300lb (136kg) bomb in Castlewellan, Co Down, close to a barracks in February 2009.

Ian Paisley Jnr, a DUP member of the Northern Ireland Assembly and the Policing Board, said the shooting could prove to be a defining moment in Northern Ireland's history.

He said: "For the last 10 years, people believed things like this happened in foreign countries, places like Basra. Unfortunately it has returned to our doorstep."

The leader of the nationalist SDLP, Mark Durkan, condemned the "murderous" attacks.

"Those who committed it are steeped in the mindset and means of past violence," he added.

"They need to understand this is not an attack on British army but the Irish people who have voted for and value above all else peaceful politics and democratic accommodation."
tom163

Post by tom163 »

I just want to say I give my sincere condolences to the families of those involved.
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

The ars* wipes.

I bet the big brave freedom fighters will try the honourable proxy bomb next.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
joe9843

Post by joe9843 »

first off, my deepest sympathy goes to the soliders family and friends killed the other day, secondly, what would it take for british troops to be deployed back into n.ireland ?
BARB - PASSED MEDICAL - PASSED INTERVIEW - PASSED ADSC 16 TH MARCH
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Fusilier wrote:The ars* wipes.

I bet the big brave freedom fighters will try the honourable proxy bomb next.
Tell me about it I pissed me off big time especially as I will be posted in N.I when I pass depot. They did it in the most cowardly way aswel, drive by.

According to some reports they defused a 300lb bomb a month or 2 back a few streets away from the same base.
joe9843 wrote:first off, my deepest sympathy goes to the soliders family and friends killed the other day, secondly, what would it take for british troops to be deployed back into n.ireland ?

Probability not much mate, the whole meaning of the attack was to provoke a attack from the Loyalists which I can see happening very soon. There has already been talks to get the soldiers already over there back patrolling the streets.
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

joe9843 wrote:first off, my deepest sympathy goes to the soliders family and friends killed the other day, secondly, what would it take for british troops to be deployed back into n.ireland ?
what would it take? I think the whole peace process is what it would take, do we really want it to go back to how it was? no....some of us have had family members die because of british troops being here. Also thats what they want, they want the troops back on the streets because that would mean an end to the peace process...well theres my 2 cents
HCR

Post by HCR »

Ref British Troops being in NI.
Now N Irealnd is apart of the UK, and the people of N Irealnd voted for that. So the British Army have as much right to be there than in England, Scotland and Wales as far as Im concerned.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

HCR wrote:Ref British Troops being in NI.
Now N Irealnd is apart of the UK, and the people of N Irealnd voted for that. So the British Army have as much right to be there than in England, Scotland and Wales as far as Im concerned.
i dont think thats true. tell me When did they vote for that?
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

HCR wrote:Ref British Troops being in NI.
Yes northern Ireland is part of the UK which is great, i wasnt saying that they hane no right to be here, of corse they do they play a key role here in the british army.

What I was on about is that we don't want them back on the streets because that would undermine the peace process.
HCR

Post by HCR »

steve14 wrote
dont think thats true. tell me When did they vote for that?
Im pretty sure there was a vote, and if Im wrong the fact the the Unionist Partys have the majority and the fact Northern Ireland IS apart of the UK still gives the British Army every right to be there
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

HCR wrote:steve14 wrote
dont think thats true. tell me When did they vote for that?
Im pretty sure there was a vote, and if Im wrong the fact the the Unionist Partys have the majority and the fact Northern Ireland IS apart of the UK still gives the British Army every right to be there
Yes well done we are part of Great Britian. And mate, no one is saying that the British Army dosn't have any right to be there.

And there was never any vote mate, Its being part of the UK since 1921...
just_me

Post by just_me »

More bad news - a policeman was shot dead over in Craigavaon. Hopefully this is not a sign of whats yet to come.
BBC Link
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

Deepest sympathies to his family.

Lets just hope this isnt another step of draging us back to the Troubles...
HCR

Post by HCR »

And there was never any vote mate, Its being part of the UK since 1921...
No there was never a vote saying ' do you want to remain apart of the UK'
But there was a referendum on the Good Friday Agreement in N Ireland and a similar vote in the Republic where they agreed to change there constitution in line with the agreement. The agreement ment that the Status of N Ireland could only change when the majority of the people agreed with it. Now bearing in mind the majority want to remain apart of the UK and not a united Ireland you can look at it in a way that they did vote to remain British. Not only did N Ireland vote for this but so did the Republic. This is my understanding. Now your from Belfast by the looks of it so Im not trying to tread on your toes here. As you should know more than me. So if Im wrong tell me
JunkBox

Post by JunkBox »

Now i've never studied History and Politics in this much depth or far back on this particular subject, so this may in incorrect with the finer details,
but far as I'm aware though when Ireland got its independance it meant the whole of Ireland (including the North) but Northern Ireland had a clause under the Treaty which said they could "opt out" of it and remain part of the United Kingdom.

Which they did, although I do not know how that was decided.As far as i'm aware it was the Northern Ireland Houses of Parliament. They may have decided by a vote with in the Parliament (so you may in that case be correct about the vote) However their was never a vote by the people of Northern Ireland (as you said)..just another case of government not asking the people before making important decisions.