Share This Page:

Ok, listen up

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Idun

Ok, listen up

Post by Idun »

Hey you!

My name is Janina (no, you don't have to be able to pronounce it correctly since my boyfriend's family is not able to do it, either), I am 18 and actually from Northrhine Westfalia, that is Western Germany. I am interested in writing, talking, languages and also the military.

Why did I sign up on HERE and not on a German board?
Well, as I said, I am interested in writing and at the moment writing a novel for which I need some information (no, nothing secret :wink: ) about the British Army. That's why I am here.

I apologize for mistakes in advance. I started learning English in year 5, now I'm in year 12 and probably a lot better than 95% of all Germans. I am with my boyfriend (who is American) for 2 1/2 years now which is why I got pretty good at talking English but still it is neither my mother tongue, nor I am good at British slang (although I can deal with Manchester slang since the soccer team had a game at the local soccer stadium last year), so I really apologize in advance if I do not understand everything directly or make mistakes.

I really hope I can make some good experiences on here.

Thanks for reading.

Janina
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Welcome Janina

First off you're written English is probably better than 90% of young British folks anyways so I shouldn't worry to much (I'll include my self in that percentage) and you seem to be very well spoken.

Also just out of interest are you looking to join the military at any point?

All the best

Stokey

P.S. it's football not 'soccer'... other than that you're English seems perfect to me :P
Idun

Post by Idun »

Stokey_14 wrote: Also just out of interest are you looking to join the military at any point?
Well, I hope I can, it depends on if they *want* me. If not, that would be it. Here you can have different careers and I'd like the one including university. It's 13 years, though. But if they say I am not good enough (if so, it would probably be because of health things), I won't do it.

Stokey_14 wrote: P.S. it's football not 'soccer'... other than that you're English seems perfect to me :P
No, it's soccer :lilangel: If I start calling it "football" again, my boyfriend is going to kill me :lol: Or they believe that we still have a huge American Football league in Germany....

lg
OrcinusOrca

Post by OrcinusOrca »

Welcome. :D

Tell us what the novel is all about and where does the British Army come into it?
Idun

Post by Idun »

OrcinusOrca wrote: Tell us what the novel is all about and where does the British Army come into it?
Shall I do it here?

Well.. it is just another kitchy love story (actually not.. the first volume is full of crimes)... But I like it the problematic way since life is complicated, too. "she" gets to know him and he is British and in the British Army. I have to take a different nationality from time to time, I think, so now it is you British I chose. Esp. because I can talk the language and use it (in a German novel :P ) - at least I think so :o

So, I do not have very detailed question, I guess. But you won't find an answer to "What do British signs before entering barracks say?" on the net. :wink: That's why I signed up and hope to find answers to my questions.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Idun wrote:
Stokey_14 wrote: Also just out of interest are you looking to join the military at any point?
Well, I hope I can, it depends on if they *want* me. If not, that would be it. Here you can have different careers and I'd like the one including university. It's 13 years, though. But if they say I am not good enough (if so, it would probably be because of health things), I won't do it.

Stokey_14 wrote: P.S. it's football not 'soccer'... other than that you're English seems perfect to me :P
No, it's soccer :lilangel: If I start calling it "football" again, my boyfriend is going to kill me :lol: Or they believe that we still have a huge American Football league in Germany....

lg
Who invented the sport... o yes the British... its football :D :P

The Americans wouldn't like it if we started calling baseball 'hit ball' etc

Stokey
Tab

Post by Tab »

Stokey.....Isnt American baseball based on the British children's game of rounders
kev101

Post by kev101 »

Lol more or less!
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Stokey, remember that Yanks speak/write 'American-English' so they can change what they like! Some of it has inevitably leaked over here though. :roll:
Tab, I wouldn't be suprised at all but isn't rounders considered to be a 'girls' sport? If that is the case they can't have all these big 'ard all American men playing rounders can they?! :P
kev101

Post by kev101 »

HaHa
Idun

Post by Idun »

I am glad my posting could entertain you, hahaha. My boyfriend was pretty entertained, too :P

Well.. I wonder where to put my questions... :-? I mean.. which subforum?
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I write Joshua-English meaning i can speak gobbldeygook.

carflargnarba durnamagerea.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
Mike90

Post by Mike90 »

Jstagg, are you by any chance pissed or high? :o
Warmest regards etc. :P
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Nah just taking the pip out of 'American - english' i really do find some of their names for things stupid.

i.e Football - Holding a rugby shaped ball and running with it. That one is just the top of the list.. its a long list.
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.