Share This Page:

What to do if you couldn't join the unit of your choice?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
sjuggins

What to do if you couldn't join the unit of your choice?

Post by sjuggins »

Guys, please bare with me as this is a long post.

It seems my hopes of joining the RMR might be over before they ever really started! I've only been to RMR Cambridge a couple of times but I've really enjoyed it, I've been concentrating on my phys to get me ready for selection in March.

Now then, I was all set to leave work yesterday at my usual time of 4pm to go home, grab some dinner and then head off to Cambridge, when my Manager asks me to wait a few minutes as he wants a chat and he's just waiting for his boss? Well an hour goes by and I'm still waiting so I say to my manager I've got to leave as I need to be @ RMR (which he's known about from day one) otherwise I'll be really late. At this point he takes me into one of the meeting rooms and tells me they want to offer me a promotion, but there's a problem. The promotion is to be a technical lead, but for the shift of 10-6 (I currently work 8-4) and as such if I accept I would be unable to attend RMR!!

Now I'm completely confused as to what to do? I'd got myself all geared up for the RMR and was enjoying the training and feel I've a good chance of passing selection. On the other hand, the promotion is a very good opportunity, the extra money isn't loads but the position will lead to more opportunities. Apparently they were considering me for the position and were going to make a decision after Christmas but as they knew I was starting to attend RMR decided to let me know now before I get too involved.

What I'd like to know from you guys is, if you couldn't join the RM (or RMR) would you be happy joining a different unit, say the Army/TA? I know there's a TA unit 2 miles away from work which is the Royal Green Jackets/Royal Rifles so that's a possibility.

Would you always be asking what if, or seeing any other unit as second best? I'm worried that if I didn't pursue the RMR and went into the TA I'd always be thinking what if, but then again I would be in a higher position at work?

Sorry for the long post. It's not been a brilliant couple of weeks what with the agro of leaving my trainer and now this, but at least this is a positive step.

Cheers,
Stu.
kevin916

Post by kevin916 »

I would go with the promotion if I were you as puting the RMR first would be a bit like letting a hobby get in the way of your work although I know it's not quite the same.

I wanted to ask if you are sure that you couldn't still attend RMR Cambridge as parade is at 1930 and it can't be more than an hour from Luton surely? You could maybe take your C95 Uniform to work and get changed into it when you finish so you're ready when you get to the unit?

I personally would not want to join a branch of the army, not that I think that they are a mediocre option or anything it's just that I am completely set on the Royal Marines and I want to be commando trained.

If you really can't attend RMR then just fire into the TA as you'll still have a good time I'm sure but from the sounds of things you had your heart set on being a bootneck
sjuggins

Post by sjuggins »

Kev, it usually takes me 75-90 minutes to get to the Cambridge Det from Luton. If I had to leave from work this is another 20-30 mins onto the journey.

I've been posting on the PRMC and somebody suggested speaking to the CO about turning up late and if they would be OK with that, which I'm going to do next week. I'm currently on holding troop at the moment, selection isn't until March and I've still got all the admin to go through.

I did have my heart on being a bootie as I wanted to prove to myself that I could make it. Somebody has suggested looking into the RAF reserves and there's a unit near me which I could make in time from work, so I might look into them as well if it doesn't go too well with RMR next week.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Stu.
BenGee1981

Post by BenGee1981 »

Hi Stu, as Kev says above I reckon the promotion would be a lot more advantageous as you obviously like your job or you wouldn't be there.

If you were training to choose between the regular RM and your promotion would be a totally different scenario, but also as Kev says I wouldn't give up a full time promotion over a part time commitment.

Personally I don't think I could settle for a different military unit apart from the one I've wanted for a long time and will until i get in! But then again if you join the TA you would still be gaining military experience, fitness c@#t you could possibly make arrangements with your boss to get back to the RMR.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Is there not some law against discrimination based upon territorial service?
Artist

Post by Artist »

Get promoted, get promoted again, end up running the company and then tell them to "Naff Off" and join the RMR.

No seriously go for the promotion and once your in the chair then go back to the RMR and hack it. The RMR is 100% different from the TA.

Artist