Share This Page:

RMR Tyne Selection

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
godthishurts

RMR Tyne Selection

Post by godthishurts »

Hi. Just joined but been using the fitness and training schedule for three weeks now and its absolutely tops. Stone off in three weeks, not bad.

Right im a bit of an idiot and I'm not entirely sure whats coming up in the near future, RMR selection is the 16th-18th of November. I've been spending ages trawling through the forums but it's hard work pulling all the information together. Can anyone tell me what is expected of me for the weekend? I know sit ups, burpees, pull ups, press-ups-whatever they are (only joking) and running. What are they looking for in what kind of time frame? I think it's two minutes for the sit ups and press ups but just want to make sure.

The running as well, what am I looking at? Seven minute miles/over how far, three? I've got four miles to 25:24 on the treadmill, just under six thirty miles by my working. The thing is though, that's fresh as a daisy. Am I not going to be beasted in some ungodly "warm up" before hand where a PT instructor takes great pleasure in seeing me sweat a large percentage of the north sea?

Anything else any of you think I should brace myself for? I'm well keen and pretty focused but I like to go into things knowing I can do them even on a day where I feel dead from the previous day/weeks training.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm off home for half term from uni but will get to AFCO asap. Cheers
kevin916

Post by kevin916 »

Im currently at RMR Tyne so I'll probably be seeing you guys about the unit. I know holding troop started a couple of weeks ago. Could give you a quick run down of the weekend if you want. Going to work just now so don't have time at the moment I'm afraid.
godthishurts

RMR Tyne Selection

Post by godthishurts »

Excellent, I'll be seeing a few of you about then soon. I was at Anzio a couple of weeks ago with the holding troop for the presentation on Afghanistan. Pretty intense eh? I only got my application in last monday and I have the psychometric tests next Friday, any of you sharing that delight?

PAGreenwall, I haven't actually joined the holding troop either, just waiting at the minute and training off my own back. Gimme a shout if you ever fancy getting thrashed by Cow Hill.

And Kev cheers if you can help us out that would be great, want to do absolutely everything I can to pass this
kevin916

Post by kevin916 »

I was like you guys, didn't do holding troop, just turned up for selection.

PAGreenwell: Just give the unit a call on 0191 2240550 then press 0 to get right through to the reception. I didn't get a kitlist sent out by mistake so I only got it a day before the selection weekend.

The biggest word of advice I can give you about the weekend is to drink plenty of water, on the first night (Friday) a lot of us didn't have enough and felt pretty dizzy after the RMFA so drink water throughout the whole time you are at the unit if you can.

Another thing I would say is not to worry to much about it. As long as you are of reasonable fitness you will be ok, obviously being at a good standard at the start helps but the training sorts you out no matter what stage you are at.

I'll try to write up a proper guide of the selection over the weekend for you, yours should be pretty much the same I would think.

Cheers
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

Hi. Just joined but been using the fitness and training schedule for three weeks now and its absolutely tops. Stone off in three weeks, not bad.
godthishurts, Which fitness schedule is this? If I PM you e-mail address is there any chance you could send it to me? No rush or If you can't that's fine, you're obviously very busy at the moment!

Good Luck!

David
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

I was at RMR Tyne while it was still in Westgate Road.
I know it is now down by the Quay - but why not just ring up and ask to talk to one of the Permanent Staff Instructors - (PSI's), who are all regular Royal Marines.

In fact, go one further and ask for an appointment and talk to them "face to face".

I am sure that they would be delighted to help.

The Internet is not always the best place to get information!!
Try the personal touch!

Sneaky Beaky
Former RM of 23 years.
kevin916

Post by kevin916 »

RMR Tyne Selection Weekend (A rough guide form when I did it in June this year)

Friday

Welcome form the CO and training staff

Safety briefing with video

Lesson on how to wash and shave

RMFA:

There is a warm up and it is actually just a warm up rather than a beastin so don't worry about it.
Bleep test
Sit ups - As many as you can in 2 mins
Press ups - As many as you can in 2 mins
Pull ups - To the command 'arms bend' 'and stretch' (Max of 6)

After the RMFA you get a shower then head to the mess for some scran then its bed time.

Saturday

Got up at 0600 I think showered then off to felling swimming pool.

Swimming assessment: Jump in, swim 2 lengths (50m) then tread water for a minute. After this there was a bit of fun and games like races and a stupid ball game.

Breakfast Scran

Can't remember what we did straight after breakfast but the next main event is the BFA.

BFA:

3 miler - first 1.5 is run as a squad at a nice easy pace, about a 10 minute mile pace. The second 1.5 miles is not as a squad and you have to complete it in under 11 minutes and 30 secs.

Sit up test - 4 sets of 10 sit ups by the commands of the pti

Pull up test - 5 pull ups to the commands of the pti

That's the end of the assessment and from here you give them your bank details and swear your oath to the Queen.

Kit is then issued and you are shown how to shape your beret and iron your uniform. The rest of the evening ids basically spent sorting your uniform out for the following day where you will be getting a basic drill lesson.

Sunday

Beach phys session: We were taken to tynemouth first thing in the morning for a session on the beach with running, hill sprints, leopard crawling, piggy backs, press ups, sit ups and a nice refreshing dip in the sea. This was definitely everyones' highlight of the weekend, no joke, hopefully you guys will get to do it as well.

Drill Lesson: some basic drill such as standing to attention and marching.

That's about it for the weekend I would say, any questions feel free to ask.
kevin916

Post by kevin916 »

It seemed to be more of an induction weekend than a selection weekend because there were a couple of guys on mine that were definitely borderline anyway but they were allowed to start training. Get to the Thursday training sessions as often as you can once you start training because these bring your fitness on very well. They also let the training staff see what stage you are at fitness wise as you go through training. The ptis are very good and quite a good laugh as well.

You probably won't be the worst there, even if you are it doesn't matter, as long as you've got the right attitude towards your training once you're in you will be fine. The ptis will show you the kind of things you should be doing in your training routine so listen to them and put the time in, dig in and you'll be fine.

In my opinion the hardest part of training is not the physical side, it's getting up for bloody sentry especially if you have wet kit to put on.