Share This Page:

!! PLEASE READ - Wise Words From Moderators & Members !!

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

!! PLEASE READ - Wise Words From Moderators & Members !!

Post by Beast »

The English Language from Doc
If it’s your second language then you maybe forgiven.

If it is your first language then have a look around the board and look at the state of some of the posts.

Farking terrible!

Now some of you will drip and bark what does it matter, boo hoo, it matters as the people who set up and run this site have standards even if the ones amongst you using text speak etc, don’t.

Capital letters, full spelling of words etc should be the norm fellas.

We all make smelling mistakes, but at least make an effort.

It used to be a bug bear of mine when I was a moderator before, and now I'm back my grievance with the lazy twonks who can't be arsed, hasn’t been eroded.

Moderators can make posts disappear, so before you sit down to write out a huge essay about what video game will best make you a blade, and then don’t waste your time. If it isn’t up to standards it will be binned.
ONE LINERS AND WINKS from Flo
Take note that from this day forward the use of one liner and single emoticons to boost your bullet points is to be cracked down upon.

If you want to reply to a thread then please use a whole sentence preferably two we will not tolerate the use of the following i.e.
;) good effort mate
Or quotes copied and a 'ha ha' at the end.

Get my drift boys. :evil:

Remember bullet points can go down as well as up.

Let’s see some decent conversations going on.

TEXT SPEAK from Flo
This is meant to be an intelligent forum - so less of the text speak, watch your spellings remember to punctuate.

And stupid childish comments like 'hehehe'. Etc will be deleted. :evil:

You wouldn’t write reports/orders in the forces in text speak so don’t do it here.
TOTAL PRONGS GIVING WRONG INFORMATION - READ AND DIGEST by Flo
First and Foremost there are people on here who are 'textbook' wannabees. They are giving out dangerous advice that can and will be detrimental to any young potential recruit, and may very well end that person’s career before it has even started.

There are people on here who know exactly what they are talking about, Artist being just one of them. But due to the grief given by certain youngsters who seem to think they know it all, he has thrown in the towel. People like Artist do not come along that often and any advice given by his likes is sound and should be inwardly digested, regurgitated and then reswallowed to make sure you have have got every bit of goodness out of it.

To those who seem to think they know it all... just because you've watched every war film to date or read every one of Preeces books (and no Steve this is not an opportunity for you to plug your book) does NOT make you an experienced bootneck. You know knack all and you will only start to learn when you are on basic. Listen to those who have been there and got the t-shirt. Stop passing out dud advice and stop trying to be the 'daddy' on the forums because you will only ever be one of the best when and if you actually pass out. In the meantime listen to those who know and stop being total f*ckin prongs.

Anyone offering dud advice will be dealt with.

And to those who have p*ssed Artist off (you know who you are) I suggest you take a large step back and have a rethink. Knobbers on this forum will not be stood for.
Language... by Sticky Blue
Gentlemen of the forum, and yes I excuse the ladies because none of them are guilty of this, in one word; Language!

It is tiresome to read through a post and find swearing scattered throughout the text for no reason at all. It is a sign of a poor command of the English language and poor vocabulary. The text type of writing that people seem to have reverted to once again is starting to get on my nose, for one, and I am sure it is getting on other peoples as well.

Some of you have had PM’s from me requesting that you cease and desist from the foul language and text speak but for those of you who are guilty of doing both these things take this as your warning. ]

I will stop editing your posts and just delete them. I, nor others, want to read your crass language and pathetic attempts at corrupting the English language into some form of street speak... you have been warned!

If you find your post has suddenly disappeared please try and remember this warning.
Text-Speak & Spelling from Frank S.
On all main boards there is a post 'Maintaining Standards'. It was intended as a general reminder for all those using the forums, of all ages to keep the quality up. It is not difficult to ensure your posts are literate. Not all of us are dictionary spellers, but we make an effort. Text speak (cya m8 ) is not for use here, save it for your Nokia. Unfortunately too many computer hermits are beginning to stretch the sense of humour of those who joined the forums to relive their past with friends and to pass on that information as a useful tool to the upcoming generation.
I have been vociferous and continue to push for anybody who is even slightly nauseous to be burnt and kicked off the forums. We get multi-address members who have numerous accounts and seem to delight in annoying the moderators, publicly and by PM. That is why we created the Retreat and the Bunker. So don't be surprised when you think 'I want entry to the bunker' to be denied.
So... If you are one of the 'Band of Knobbers', pack your mouse and clear off back into the ether, or I'll do it for you!
Photobucket security from jabcrosshook
After recently finding members photos off their photobucket account being used on some Russian forum and who knows who else could have them. I decided I'd remind you all to make sure your photobucket account is secure so you don't get randoms going in viewing images you don't want randoms to see. If you don't know how to make your photobucket account private do the following:

1) Log in.
2) Then go to account options (top right hand of screen in small writing).
3) Scroll down to account options.
4) At the side of the heading it says edit my account option, click on that.
5) The first heading is 'my album is:' change this setting to private.
6) You can add a password for your accepted people to see your photobucket account, this must be different to your login password.
7) Once that is done click save.
Posting & You from Artist
Last edited by Beast on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I would like to bring the above back to people's attentions now that the forums have been re-joined.

The standard of spelling on some of the posts recently is seriously depressing.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Can't believe I'm having to bring this one to the front again, but I've tried sending PMs and it doesn't seem to work...

Please can those of you who persist in using text-speak and atrocious spelling (or lazy typing) and grammar please smarten up. You're wanting to join an organisation which requires you to do your best in everything you do. Start now.

We don't expect perfection, everyone makes the odd mistake, but let's at least see some effort going in!

(If anyone doesn't know the difference between there, their and they're, or your and you're, I'm more than happy to explain it...)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours