Share This Page:

ONE LINERS AND WINKS

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Mornin’ Flo.

A little question if you don’t mind. Why don't you/the Mods put a quota charge in? For example for 100 bullets each member gets they have to donate £5 quid? That would stop the quick and the fast?

This would need monitoring I suppose but possibly a way of creating some cash for upgrades for the site.

It’s a tough call to make, maybe it is not necessary but I understand the point you are making.

Maybe Admin could pop in a button next to reply like ‘reply without status’ so posts like 'I’ve just had my med, and one ball is slightly larger than the other but I passed' is ok. But on a more serious note when an achievement like Felias’s is made known people can say congrats without bumping up their scores.

Just an idea?

Thanks

Beo
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I like the idea Beowulf but if you don't make 100 post in a year does it restart for the new year?
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

What do you mean, are you saying we can't say
"Well done mate :) " or
"Don't be so daft :o " ??
rc

Post by rc »

Does anyone actually care about 'bullet points' ? :o

Rich.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

lodgi wrote:What do you mean, are you saying we can't say
"Well done mate :) " or
"Don't be so daft :o " ??
Think so. We've all done it, even some of the mods are guilty of this. But i haven't got a problem with this, its a good idea.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Well flo does it all the time.
flo wrote:Just for the record chute is EXREG, talk about alter :evil:
was a message she posted only wednesday.

Fair enough, it's a military based site and I can see why txt speak is not appreciated, but to say please don't post one liners with emoticons seems a bit stupid. Flo's on a power trip me feels. Most of the arguments on here come from people not knowing how to take someone's comments, and using emoticons shows how it was meant t be taken. Saying:
"you god damn fool :) " is quite different from saying
"you dod damn fool :evil: ".

And your also sayng no one liners? Why not? So if I want to congratulate someone for passing PRMC or passing out from RT, I can't just say:
"Well done mate :D "?

I think your being a bit silly to be honest flo, and just fancied making up a rule because your bored.

Ridiculous.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

To be honest I have had to miss out a few posts like saying hello to one of the new people because I knew it would only be one sentance long. Maybe instead of posts which I think alot of people don't care about, we should have the karma system. If your a good person with good posts people can rate your post...for example,
http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=107542
But I do think 1 sentace with only a smily face should not be allowed.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

lodgi, there's a lot more to situations caused by the likes of EXREG, Waltcatcher and the like. A lot more than what you see. I bring this up because it has a bearing on the topic.

Firstly there's been quite a lot of abuse directed at mods both publicly and privately. Fair dos. But these situations are very time consuming, and we have two sites to keep an eye on. I'll add this: some of the abuse has been very personal in nature.
The point is yes, we may at times make succinct posts as I know I have.
But we'd do well, collectively, to do better than that. As well, some members will abuse deliberately the system just to raise their post counts. Those will see their post count reset to zero eventually.

When a mod makes an announcement as flo did in this thread, the other mods and site admin. are in agreement. So much for the power trip argument.
So let me turn the argument around, because this has raised its ugly head recently: do you have a problem with the fact that flo is a female moderator? What is it?
Last edited by Frank S. on Sat 17 Feb, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc

Post by rc »

lodgi wrote:Ridiculous.
I think that sums the matter up !!! :lol:

Think this over folks. Joking aside: post counts can and will be reset to "zero".
Frank S.
rc

Post by rc »

Frank,

I do honestly think this is a ridiculous idea.

Does it really matter if someone posts a one liner ?
Why write an essay in response to a question when on occassions a one liner has the desired outcome ?
Who really cares about 'bullet points' ? it's a forum, nothing more.

Rich.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

I agree with a bit from both sides here. I can see that on many occasions one liners as such can be a nuisance, but on the other hand i also see them as almost having to happen. I mean with the likes of Felias passing his RT and earning the Green Beret, people are of course going to want to congratulate him, and you can only really do that in most cases with one liners. It would be a shame not to be able to do so. Also many posts with a humourous edge are also one liners, and though not directly linked to military training we all know the value of having a sense of humour if serving in the Armed Forces. Also many legitimate questions can be responded to succinctly with one liners, when there is no need for any more.

I dont really see a simple answer to this, other than that people should just be far more aware of whether their one liner is waranted or not. I think this may be hard to get to grips with if im honest. We have all made numerous posts that are one liners, and i think it may take away a little bit of the sense of humour the site has.

Dwarfy
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Like I said: there are members here who deliberately post a short one liner and/or emoticon(s) solely to raise their post counts.
Beyond that, this is bringing the content quality DOWN and eats up bandwith. It is also extremely annoying to the point of being rude.

Is it necessary to compose an essay to reply to anything? NO.
Is it necessary to post a "welcome mate :wink: " on every introduction thread? NO. If that's all one can come up with, then type nothing.
There is a medium and I don't feel it's necessary to outline proper posting to you guys, you're smart enough.
You feel it's ridiculous, point taken. I don't like driving at 65 mph, myself.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Is this going to be purely no one-line replies, or is there going to be some leeway because sometimes it really isn't necessary to type an essay.

P.S. does one line and then your name count as a one-liner? :)
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

If this is coming up because of people who only care about there post count then why cant the mods directly PM that person saying "we know what your up to, quit it or get binned!" as like other people have said I think if someone has passed PRMC or RT then a "well done" is surely not a big deal. Just keep it in context if its an obvious sign off post increasers then give them a warning and if they persist then bye bye, but if its a harmless "good on you mate" for a legitimate thing and not just a random post then this should be allowed.