Share This Page:

Terry Marsh

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Ste Preece

Terry Marsh

Post by Ste Preece »

Guys: I met up with Terry Marsh (Former Royal Marine and World Boxing Champ) in London last week. I was in attendance during his world title win in 1987 along with a few other bootnecks. It was fantastic. That night they played the record "Every Body Wants To Rule The World". And that night our man did.

Anyway, I read his biography and emailed him. Following this I jacked up a radio interview for him with a friend of mine. He asked me what I wanted in return for this favour. I told him: "Two pints of beer and I wanted him to sign my copy of his book." He laughed. When I met him we had a long amiable conversation during which he bought us both a meal and plenty of wine. He was truly a great guy to know and I was very pleased to have met him.

Best Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

You gonna stick this in your next book?
Ste Preece

Book

Post by Ste Preece »

No, Always A Marine concluded my story. I was just pleased to have met the guy. Its not everyday you get the opportunity to have a meal and a drink with a former world champion boxer is it!!

Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

Steve, If I recall, Terry Marsh was the guy that was accused of shooting Frank Warren ages ago, I heard that Frank Warren claimed he looked Marsh in the face as he was allegedly shot by him, but marsh was actually acquitted of this and the later student bung plot he was accused of when he dabbled with politics. I never knew he was a marine, I knew he was fit though.

I shall add his autobiography to my christmas book list, maybe then I will get some answers from his side of the story.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
Ste Preece

Terry

Post by Ste Preece »

Terry was a bootneck alright. He's still in good shape. The night of the fight was fabulous and OUR man was on top of the world.

I have my own conclusions about what happened at that time with Frank Warren, but Terry just laughed when I told him. His book was a good read and I really enjoyed it.

regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
bird

Post by bird »

Must of been a brilliant night steve, very jealous.
One of the best fights I've seen, Earl vs Katsidis, if you have not seen it, it's worth a look.
This was on a few weeks ago I watched it live on TV, have to agree tremendous spirit from both boxers especially grahem. It was the same night Audley Harrison got knocked out, oh what a good night :D :D
On the road to recovery.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I just watched it and there is a very annouying person screeming at the start.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

Foxtrotgolf-have to agree the Earl/Katsidis fight was AWESOME,i thought Earl had just turned the tide when his corner ended it.
Another similar was alex arthur vs michael gomez,almost an identical fight.
not seen it but there was a fight around 10 years ago for the light heavyweight title between 'prince' charles williams and egerton marcus and the fight was stopped by the ref as neither could continue!!!!!!!!!!!! :o
Getting back to this thread though......Marsh is one I don't know much about and will check his book,thanks for the heads up lads!
KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
lodgi

Post by lodgi »

Im off to cardiff on saturday to watch a lad from near me (Steffy Bull take on Amir Kahn). I think Kahn will do him in one or two rounds to be honest but theres some other good fights on.

Calzhage vs Manfredo (the contender winner) is the main fight.

Anyone else going?
phenom

Post by phenom »

Sandy The Guvnor wrote:
lodgi wrote:Calzhage vs Manfredo (the contender winner) is the main fight.
Manfredo didnt win the contender Sergio Mora did. Manfredo was the runner up even though he did get battered by the smallest bloke on the show in his 1st fight.

I think this fight is a bit of a mismatch and Calzaghe will walk straight through him.
I really wanted to see this fight live at the millennium, but I'm uber skint. I know Calzaghe is expected to walk through him, but I'm still looking forward to this. Simply because I followed the first 'contender' all the way through.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

Yes Joe should take this guy without much difficulty but then again he could be lax and make mistakes as well,but even if he does Calzaghe is way too good to lose to Manfredo.
I think it's hilarious Froch calling out Calzaghe,he has not earned a shot at the number 1 in the division by any means and can still look robotic and amateurish when finishing an opponent.
I really hope Joe from here on in takes on another two HUGE american fights even if he needs to relinquish his title to make it happen against jermain stewart,bernard hopkins or winky wright and only have a British opponent if its Clinton Woods-providing he makes it through his rematch with Gonzalez!
Woods deserves a shot at Calzaghe,Froch is nowhere near deserving.
Joe is the MAN,hope the Welsh dragon retires undefeated and if i wasn't in bonnie Scotland I would be there cheering him on!

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

I certainly think Froch will give Calzaghe a much better fight than Manfredo did. Although Froch isn't the No.1 contender, the WBO should at least install him as a ranked contender. If they let Manfredo, who is a blown-up light-middleweight, have a shot at Joe, then Froch, a legitimate super-middleweight, should certainly be allowed.
As for Stefy Bull, he took the money & ran - literally. As for the Khan spin machine saying he'll be world champion pretty soon, he'd do best to fight Jon Thaxton, the British champion, and see what he's made of. If he beats Thaxton convincingly then I may get on the bandwagon as well. However, Sports Network are renowned for over-protecting their fighters and it won't change with Amir Khan.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.