Share This Page:

quite upset

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Grandor

quite upset

Post by Grandor »

Guys, I have to say after reading over this site, seing brit army movies (bravo two zero etc), brit training doco's etc..
Comparing that with what I have experienced in Australia.

I really wish I was british joining the british army, otherwise- I just hope that the lads I join up with are like you lot. Just well adjusted and good attitudes.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

If you like the British Army that much then why not join it?

Australians can join the British Army. :D
xcj

Post by xcj »

straight from the army website:

Nationality

You must also be one of the following:

* A British citizen
* A citizen of the British dependent territories
* A British overseas citizen
* A British subject under the British Nationality Act 1981
* A citizen of an independent Commonwealth country
* A British Protected Person
* A citizen of the Irish Republic

Joining from overseas

In addition to fulfilling one of the nationality criteria listed above, you must be eligible to hold a full British or Irish passport.

If you are from another country, you must hold a full passport from that country. Your passport must show you have an immigrant status in the UK that is valid for a minimum of four years.

All applicants must have the right of entry into the UK.

In short, Australians can join the British army
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

It says, in addition I must be eligible to hold a full british passport.
I don't believe that I can.

Both my grandparents on my fathers side are/were English (both served in World War II in Egypt), my father had dual citizenship (Australia/England) but actually renounced his English one so he could run for a political office over here. So I'm not sure If I can get one.

Either way, its a pretty far fetched idea. As much as I like England, I do love Australia.
xcj

Post by xcj »

Grandor wrote:Either way, its a pretty far fetched idea. As much as I like England, I do love Australia.

tut tut! A common mistake but the British army isn't just England. The UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland... thats what it says on the British passport.... so it's not the English army.

Yes, im just being picky because i'm not English but ah well...

Secondly, you are eligible to hold a British passport. Its not your right because, as you say, you're not British. If you were to emigrate over here, hold a work permit etc then after a few years (5 i think, not sure) then you can apply for a British passport. These days as long as your not a mass murderer or a suicide bomber then you'll no doubt be accepted. Infact scrap that, they can get them aswell.

I also don't think you have to wait until you have your passport before you can apply for the army. I think once you have permanent residency clearance then you can apply for the army, and after 5 years(?) you can apply for a passport. What looks better on a passport application than service in the armed forces of that country?

I could be wrong on all of this of course, but it's worth checking out if your heart is in it. Naturally, i agree that no matter how much you waver, you're heart lies in your own country.
Sonne

Post by Sonne »

* A citizen of an independent Commonwealth country

As far as i am awar you do not need a British passport. Many commonwealth citizens who apply only go for a British Passport after doing their 3 years. Couldn't hurt to make a few enquiries.

Sonne
Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds - Homer
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

As intriguing as the idea is, I really don't think its for me.
Australias a good place, I just hope the military populace is like yours has been depicted.
chris5818

Post by chris5818 »

Well this thread seemed to be a good waste of time :-?
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Waste of time? No idea what you mean... :o

I'm Australian, I wish I could join the British Army. What, I can? No wait, I don't want to, sod your pissing Army.
chris5818

Post by chris5818 »

Brian- wrote:Waste of time? No idea what you mean... :o

I'm Australian, I wish I could join the British Army. What, I can? No wait, I don't want to, sod your pissing Army.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PJFT: June o6 - 9.07
PRMC: Passed December 07
RT: February 08
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

Brian- wrote:Waste of time? No idea what you mean... :o

See!!! This is what I'm talking about! Your way you guys make things humourous and take the piss out of stuff is great! If this was an Aussie message board, I would have been told to 'man up' about 3 or 4 times and would have been told to 'piss off and call DFR (defence force recruiting) if you want to know.'
Ahh.
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Grandor,
You big softcock.... :lol:
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n »

theres shit loads of South Africans, Aussies, Fijians (sp) in British Forces, I've seen quite a few just in the Royal Marines...

dave
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

dwarfy wrote:Grandor,
You big softcock.... :lol:
see thats just funny.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Why else do you like the british army? :D . I'm not to keen on the austrailian army. What do you do all day, chuck boomarangs and kangaroos?
'What's that Skippy?'. 'Click Click nik nik (Kangaroo noise)'. 'He's fallen down the well again?' 'Click Click...' Konk! 'Bruise, I got us another kangaroo for the barby!'