Share This Page:

MMA in the forces

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
danny_ufc

MMA in the forces

Post by danny_ufc »

do the marines or paras have a mixed martial arts fighting team,

i was hoping to join the marines this year but because i failed a medical and have to wait till next year i am now thinking of the paras aswell,

i was just wondering if any of these do mma,

cheers.
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

Nope not inside the forces but you could join a club outside and do it in your own time, there was 2 cage fighters on my prmc but the pti said they dont do mma in the forces, you could do boxing though and karate and then mix it up outside like i mentiond before.

Doubt that helped lol
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
Nickosx

Post by Nickosx »

Maybe you want to ask Sandy the Guvnor about that, i think hes a mma fighter and a para pti 8)
Nick
Konassin

Post by Konassin »

To be honest, i can't imagine a lot of MMA gyms being situated in places like Taunton. MMA is still a young sport, so outside of the major cities i would imagine the gyms to be fairly scarce on the ground.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

I know of hardly any MMA gyms. You simply attend seperate dedicated dojos or gyms, then applying the martial arts together makes you an MMA.

I would believe the Military would use a combination of the Jiu-Jitsu, Hapkido maybe Systema and Krav Maga fighting systems on a very basic level.
mancuniankid

Post by mancuniankid »

What sort of questions Sandy? There does seem to be at least 1 kickboxing champion on every prmc one of the PTis told me. With all these champions about it did make me think alot of them must chat shit. Some of them have proberbly only had 3 lessons.

I've done Boxing and a bit of Karate and Wrestling over the last 5 years but im far from any cage fighter. I'm just me a boxing champion :P (just kidding). I would like to train in MMA though but we'll see how it goes, one step at a time for me at the minute.

You ever though for any of the big UK companys Sandy or just abroad?
PB's

1.5-8.43
3miler-18.41
Bleep Test -Lv 13
Press ups-64
Sit ups-84
Pull Ups-16
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Sandy The Guvnor wrote:Very untrue
There is no dedicated MMA in the North East, or at least last time I checked. I`m with Sunderland Ju Jitsu Club of old Ian Freeman fame, lots of MMA here but not totally dedicated to it. Maybe the exception is actually Freeman's Total Martial Arts Academy in Durham. But up here its super sparse.

Chappy wrote:You have a lot to learn
Please educate me then. I have no first hand knowledge of such things but from people I have spoke to they seem to have been taught simple Ju Jitsu, and defense against small arms that are fresh from Krav Maga and the Systema systems.

If I`m wrong then I`m happy, at least you can correct me and then I`ll know the right information.

Also, seem as though your a pro fighter Sandy, can we see your Sherdog card?

All the best, hope you qualify for K1.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Sandy, are you in the big Cage Rage tourney in London next month?
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
briggfoot

Post by briggfoot »

There was a thread on sfuk.net a year or two back where a lad was asking about MMA in the armed forces. I think Sandy posted on that thread, but so far i havent been able to find it!
Will keep looking!

Sandy, are many blokes in the regiment into mma?

Taa
Andy
EXREG

Post by EXREG »

Sandy, I was at Total Combat 14 and saw you 'fight' Michael ROCKY Holmes. I thought it was great! :wink:

Adam.
danny_ufc

Post by danny_ufc »

Also, seem as though your a pro fighter Sandy, can we see your Sherdog card?

All the best, hope you qualify for K1.[/quote]

i think this is it...http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/figh ... terID=3941

thats alot of fights, i see you have fought some guys who have fought jason tann... he has a club not far from mine and i have been thinking of training there, have you come across him?