Share This Page:

Combat fitness

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Grandor

Combat fitness

Post by Grandor »

What sort of fitness is required for combat?

I'm talking, is it more important to be able to sprint 1.5miles or be able to hike out 7.5miles in a reasonable time?
Are hard abs a desire for the front-line officer?
Is a powerhouse of an upper-body desireable for anyone in the armed forces?

etc. etc.

You see, up till now, I've trained to have a bodybuilder type, - thick chest, broad shoulders, sculpted muscles - that sort of stuff.
But Now im looking to the military and I need to know my aims for combat survival, effectiveness and fitness.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

This isn't for real is it?

What are you doing up at 0000hrs local time asking about "Front line officers" 'desiring' "hard abs" and telling the world about your own "thick chest, broad shoulders, sculpted muscles"...

Please tell me this is Doc on the wind up.

CS
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

CptStabbo wrote:This isn't for real is it?

What are you doing up at 0000hrs local time asking about "Front line officers" 'desiring' "hard abs" and telling the world about your own "thick chest, broad shoulders, sculpted muscles"...

Please tell me this is Doc on the wind up.

CS
Give me a break.
All I was saying was what my goals were and what my body was geared towards and how since doing a bit of research it doesnt seem like this is desired much for the armed forces?
Why do you guys suddenly get jumpy to anyone whos asking honest questions, surely u were all 17yr old civvies once who knew jack shit about the service.

And by the way -its 2348
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

What was your honest question? The combat fitness one (which will have been asked a billion times already - use the effing search), or the question about front line officers hard abs?

It looked to me like you just wanted to tell us about how closely you resembled a greek goddess.

Have a read of the post before you click Submit - it may be bone or worse still gay as f*ck.

Kind regards,

CS
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

grandor you want a happy median between the 2, the more muscle you have the more muscle you have to carry around with you = more effort needed.

stamina and endurance are needed, its no good attempting a 30 mile yomp if you are built like arnie but cant run for more than 100m
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
dalo

Re: Combat fitness

Post by dalo »

Grandor wrote:What sort of fitness is required for combat?

I'm talking, is it more important to be able to sprint 1.5miles or be able to hike out 7.5miles in a reasonable time?
Are hard abs a desire for the front-line officer?
Is a powerhouse of an upper-body desireable for anyone in the armed forces?

etc. etc.

You see, up till now, I've trained to have a bodybuilder type, - thick chest, broad shoulders, sculpted muscles - that sort of stuff.
But Now im looking to the military and I need to know my aims for combat survival, effectiveness and fitness.
The armed forces isnt a whos got the best body contest, everyone is diffrent this isnt attack of the clones. So there isnt a right or wrong body type.

Pleb.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

CptStabbo wrote:What was your honest question? The combat fitness one (which will have been asked a billion times already - use the effing search), or the question about front line officers hard abs?
Jeez. Let me put this another way.

Lets say u have the best soldier in the best armed forces.. ok..
What is he going to look like (body type wise), and how does he train for this?
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Hello Grandor the Great,

Now that you put it that way it's easy (silly me!)

The best soldier in our armed forces is usually a sinewy, haggered faced, chain smoking sex pest.

He trains for this usually in an area of Wales/Far North of England.

He does:

1 x squat into some sort of cover from the prevailing wind and rain.
15 reps of relighting a wet fag.
2 x drips to members of his patrol
1 more rep of relighting that fag.

and he repeats this twenty times a day, every day for a couple of weeks.

He does this numerous times a year.

Hope this clears things up.

Regards,

CS
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

You my good sir, are coming across much like a dick.
dalo

Post by dalo »

Being the 'best' soldier isnt about how fit you are or what muscles are developed more than others, maybe being the best athlete is what this entails but not the best soldier. Training to be the best soldier involves alot more important things like fire and manuever and such like. I mean at the end of the day opposing soldiers dont drop their weapons and meet in the middle of the street and see who can bang out more press ups, or who has got more defined calfs.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Grandor,

You'll never get anywhere in OUR armed forces with YOURattitude.

Get yourself a sense of humour and stop posting ridiculous questions you phlid.

Kind regards,

CS.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

dalo wrote:Being the 'best' soldier isnt about how fit you are or what muscles are developed more than others, maybe being the best athlete is what this entails but not the best soldier. Training to be the best soldier involves alot more important things like fire and manuever and such like. I mean at the end of the day opposing soldiers dont drop their weapons and meet in the middle of the street and see who can bang out more press ups, or who has got more defined calfs.
Yeah ok.

But do you see what I'm getting at?

Nevermind.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

[/quote]

What is he going to look like (body type wise) [quote]

me :lol:
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

GemmaLS wrote:Jeez, give the guy a break - he only asked a simple question.

I'm currently training for the RAF - I have no idea what type of body shape you would need and am in a similar dilema (apart from the fact that i had no muscle at all to start with). However think about it - you've got to be able to walk/jog for miles on end with the weight of a small child on your back. Also you might have to suddenly dash for cover with said weight still on your back. it's a combination of endurance and explosive strength, something I don't think go hand in hand.
Yeah thats what I thought.
I mean, wheres the middleground between Schwartnegger and Maurice Greene?
Artist

Post by Artist »

The average Royal Marine is about 5' 10" in height and 11/12 stone in weight on completion of training. Most blokes who join looking like Charles Atlas on Steriods tend to wrap quite soon mostly because they may have a powerful upper body but are just not quick and agile enough for the Commando Tests and soon realise that the "Racing Snake" alongside him is going to beat him hands down when it comes to timings on say the Tarzan Course. This I found would basically Crack the big blokes up quite early into training. I have seen blokes with muscles on their muscles in tears because they cannot get their heads around the fact that they are not the "supermen" they thought they were.

Over the years most blokes get bigger as they become more mature. In some cases blokes like Heavy Weapons are built along the lines of a brick shithouse. Lugging all that gear over anywhere your sent kind off makes it a fact of life. As to the perfect fighting fitness.......farked if I know! It mostly revolves around the fellow Marines your are serving with. If a blokes well built he can carry the heavy stuff. If he's a racing snake he can do the Recce's or be the section runner (radios sometimes are not the best option). In other words you select the bloke most suitable for each job within the section.

However, whats in your head is the most important item. the ability to carry out your task without any thought of: But what if, or if, is a must at all times both in the thick of it or not. Confidence both in yourself and your fellow Marines is a most definite must have item.