Share This Page:

Hi I'm new and I got a fitness benchmark question

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Grandor

Hi I'm new and I got a fitness benchmark question

Post by Grandor »

Hi I'm 17 and live in Australia.
I am looking to join the army at the end of the year as an Infantry Officer.

I've seen people posting their stats on here.
What are the typical benchmark type things u guys use to say how fit u are.

ie - beep test rank, max. pullups, max. chinups, bench press 1RM etc.

thanks guys, and happy training to you all.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Welcome to MFAT.

Generally I'd say the main things are 1.5 (2.4km) mile best effort time which is the standard Battle Fitness Test, maximum amount of pressups in 2 minutes and the same for situps.

Bench press and weights, while impressive, aren't something that you should concentrate on for the military (at least in my opinion) since emphasis is on lifting your own body weight. You do need explosive strength and power but I'd rather not have to carry around the excess bulk of muscle from being able to benchpress 300kg.

Things may be different in the Australian Army but this here is predominantly a British military forum. :D

edit: imperial > metric
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

Geordie wrote:Welcome to MFAT.

Generally I'd say the main things are 1.5 (2.4km) mile best effort time which is the standard Battle Fitness Test, maximum amount of pressups in 2 minutes and the same for situps.

Bench press and weights, while impressive, aren't something that you should concentrate on for the military (at least in my opinion) since emphasis is on lifting your own body weight. You do need explosive strength and power but I'd rather not have to carry around the excess bulk of muscle from being able to benchpress 300kg.

Things may be different in the Australian Army but this here is predominantly a British military forum. :D

edit: imperial > metric
cool
excellent. You live in newcastle.
I also live in newcastle, except the aussie version. lol.
I've been to newcastle-upon-tyne and have relo's there. I liked the place...

Can you explain to me what a pressup is, i think i have a different name for it.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

Ok, I just did the 1.5 mile run, at a sustained 10.6km/h = 13:40

I'm sure with training this will improve.

I followed this with 8 wide grip pullups (about double shoulder width).

Is this alrite?
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

pushup = pressup (lie on floor, hands shoulderish width apart on floor, push up with arms).
It will improve if you keep at it.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

cruicent wrote:pushup = pressup (lie on floor, hands shoulderish width apart on floor, push up with arms).
It will improve if you keep at it.
haha press ups. ok.
I'll see what can be done tomorrow...
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Grandor wrote:Ok, I just did the 1.5 mile run, at a sustained 10.6km/h = 13:40

I'm sure with training this will improve.

I followed this with 8 wide grip pullups (about double shoulder width).

Is this alrite?
You want to be getting this down to sub 9 minutes.

But the chin ups are good.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

themattmeister wrote:You want to be getting this down to sub 9 minutes.

But the chin ups are good.
sub what? :o

lol.

ok, ill work on that one then.
Is sub 9minutes army or SAS standard?
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Well the lads who go on their PJFT for the Marines are getting sub 9 or there abouts (if not it's just because the machine will not go any faster).

The Battle fitness assessment consists of a 1.5 mile run as a group completed in 15 mins and then a best effort of 1.5 miles.

The time you have to complete that in would be dependent upon what you're aiming for, Para's is sub 9. If you're aiming for a good level of fitness though you should be aiming to do 1.5 miles straight off at atleast sub 9 minutes, especially as an officer.

Don't fear though this sought of pace is acheivable for anyone with average fitness and a will to succeed.
Grandor

Post by Grandor »

themattmeister wrote:Well the lads who go on their PJFT for the Marines are getting sub 9 or there abouts (if not it's just because the machine will not go any faster).

The Battle fitness assessment consists of a 1.5 mile run as a group completed in 15 mins and then a best effort of 1.5 miles.

The time you have to complete that in would be dependent upon what you're aiming for, Para's is sub 9. If you're aiming for a good level of fitness though you should be aiming to do 1.5 miles straight off at atleast sub 9 minutes, especially as an officer.

Don't fear though this sought of pace is acheivable for anyone with average fitness and a will to succeed.
Then I shall aim for 8. 8)

Happy training boys.
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

under 10.45 is a pass for the PJFT, the treadmill i used only went up to a maximum of 16kph and i had it set at about 15.5-15.8 for most of the time.
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
dalo

Post by dalo »

Borisimo wrote:under 10.45 is a pass for the PJFT, the treadmill i used only went up to a maximum of 16kph and i had it set at about 15.5-15.8 for most of the time.
Hey borismo you nervous about your prmc, im sure all will be fine once you and you new friends hit the showers naked style.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

nervous about PRMC yes......ive hurt a muscle in my leg so swimming and running is going to be hard. through the pain barrier i guess. we are all fairly well aquainted in the showers department already ;)
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
dalo

Post by dalo »

After my naked showers at PRMC i shower naked at swimming now, just doesnt feel right not to :D .
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.