Share This Page:

Studying in and joining the military

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Cheeze

Studying in and joining the military

Post by Cheeze »

Hi guys,

I know this post belongs in the Parachute Reg section, but I wasn't receiving any responses so I thought I would try here.

I am a South African who is coming to the UK in roughly 2 months time to join the Paras as a soldier and I was wondering if anyone could give me some answers to the following questions:

-Could anyone give me a rough idea and breakdown of how long the joining process takes, for a recruit, from the time you first walk into the recruitment office to the start of basic training (specifically for a commonwealth citizen). Basically the length of time I have to be responsible for my finances, accommodation etc etc. I have heard that it can take as long as 6 months.
I was wondering if it would be possible to leave the UK in between interviews etc??

-Secondly, I would like to study part-time whilst in the Paras and have heard this can be done, but how feasible is this really? Do you really have enough time to study for a degree like economics in a part-time capacity? Is anyone doing this, or know someone who is? If this is not possible, what are the chances of getting a degree whilst serving? Is there a better chance of this if you are an officer?

-Thirdly, is it possible for commonwealth citizens to join the TA?

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Cheers
cheeze
markthestab

Post by markthestab »

"Thirdly, is it possible for commonwealth citizens to join the TA"

ive met loads of africans and south africans through the TA

interviews and bullsh!t can take a long time for glasgow to check up on you, but ive never heard it taking six months, it might do if your not a uk subject

you can leave the UK in between interviews, and you can re-arange your interviews for another day if you cant make it in

you can study for civilian qaulifications whilst in the army but not whilst your still training, i know someone who said he did all his gcse's he missed out on at school whilst in the army but i didnt really get into a deep conversation with him about it because he was more eager to tell me about him earning his brown wings with his missus than training and army life
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

You can study at the open university as well at undergraduate and postgraduate level im not sure howd youd get a levels though :-?
Hielan' Laddie

Re: Studying in and joining the military

Post by Hielan' Laddie »

Cheeze wrote:-Could anyone give me a rough idea and breakdown of how long the joining process takes, for a recruit, from the time you first walk into the recruitment office to the start of basic training (specifically for a commonwealth citizen). Basically the length of time I have to be responsible for my finances, accommodation etc etc. I have heard that it can take as long as 6 months.
I was wondering if it would be possible to leave the UK in between interviews etc??
It can take upto 6 months. If you are on top of things, get your paperwork back quickly, pass all the tests and so on then you could be in within 3/4 months. It also depends on how many vacancies your regiment has. Depending on a few factors (like operational tours) the army varies how many 'vacancies' each regiment has at Catterick. It shouln't be an issue though for you if you go for the Paras, although with the Paras you also have to factor in PRAC.

I'd reccomend that you get a Christmas job as soon as you turn up in the UK. Loads of them about with Royal Mail, all the supermarkets etc. Will be a good chance for you to get straight into work rather than sitting around doing nothing.

I think it is possible to leave between interviews, but I'd advice you to check with your careers office before making any plans!
Cheeze wrote:-Secondly, I would like to study part-time whilst in the Paras and have heard this can be done, but how feasible is this really? Do you really have enough time to study for a degree like economics in a part-time capacity? Is anyone doing this, or know someone who is? If this is not possible, what are the chances of getting a degree whilst serving? Is there a better chance of this if you are an officer?
For studying it depends a lot on your officers. If they are on-side then they can really help you along (allowing you afternoons off to study etc). Most officers I've met have been good at pushing their men. In the infantry, as all the officers have to be in the top 1/3rd of Sandhurst to even get into their regiment, then you tend to have pretty switched-on blokes who will be able to help you out.

In most garrison towns there is also an 'ETS' (Education Training Service) centre. They can do all sorts of quals. You get credits from the army towards both long and short courses to help you pay the cost if it is being run by an outside agency like the Open University.
Cheeze wrote:-Thirdly, is it possible for commonwealth citizens to join the TA?
Yes, but don't join them just while you wait for the regs. It is a waste of everyone's time and money. I can understand why you'd want to, but don't.