Share This Page:

Are we at War at the moment

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Griswald

Are we at War at the moment

Post by Griswald »

I'd like your opnions on something gents, Saddam has been toppled an d all that and the elections have taken place and democracy is getting installed into Iraq..yes

But with the insurgency and all the rest of it still carrying on, is this classed as War? Peacekeeping or what, as last years fallujah carry on really looked like War to me, what is this classed as at the moment.

Hoping you can shed some light?
Tab

Post by Tab »

I think you will find that it is now classed either as Peacekeeping or a Police action. They way they look at this is that the main forces of this country are no longer engaged in any form of action. The problem is from different factions trying to take power or to put them selfs at the head of the country, whether it is a political party or a group of different religious ones. Now if you look back at Korea in the 1950's it was very hard and bloody but this was a ploice action and not a war.
Griswald

Post by Griswald »

Thanks for your replys guys,

I always thought Korea was a War...well always learning I guess. The situation in Iraq at the moment isn't that a Guerilla war though?
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

What's in a name?
Is it Peacekeeping, Police Action or War.?
Call it what you like, people are still being killed. It's just a politicians way of justifying things. They still send in the poor old foot soldiers to sort it out - no matter what it's called!
Sneaky
PS If they're firing bullets at you. It's a war!
Former RM of 23 years.
dalo

Post by dalo »

All I have to say is there was videos floating around the internet of insurgents shooting down that hercules not that long ago. What I have to say is if they did shoot it down we must be at war with someone.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Just because people are shooting one another this does not mean you are at war. Look at all the conflicts that Britain has been involved with since the end of WW2 and see just how many of those conflicts are classed as wars.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Iraq would now come under the War on Terror I suppose.
- Cobalt

"It's always funny until someone gets hurt - then it's hilarious"
Griswald

Post by Griswald »

I hear what your saying Tab, but there are different types of War, like Ireland that's guerilla warfare isn't it?

Israel and Palestine there's not an invasion taking place there but people refer to the militant groups and the israelis as being at War.

This whole thing about Islamic militant groups are currently fighting western countries and the Islamic Jihad thing, that is very similar to the Crusades of old isn't it? They were classed as a War weren't they.

I find this kind of thing confusing but I to get some clarity on this the actual definitions of war according to dictionaries are as follows (excuse the analness of this!)

"A state of open, armed, often prolonged conflict carried on between nations, states, or parties."

Surely that describes a lot of things going on today in the middle east?
Tab

Post by Tab »

Ask your self's, has a deceleration of war been declared. If no, are we at war?.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Cobalt wrote:Iraq would now come under the War on Terror I suppose.
It wasnt part of the war on terror when we invaded, but I suppose the Iraqi people have now been caught up in the middle of fighting between mostly American troops and foreign extremists. I think most of the fighting could be classified as a guerilla war carried out by those who oppose the occupation, but some foreign exremists who target civilians and who murder unarmed hosteges are the terrorists.
Bliartheliar

Post by Bliartheliar »

Tab wrote:Ask your self's, has a deceleration of war been declared. If no, are we at war?.
We went to war against Saddam's armies, but we are no longer fighting them and coalition soldiers control the country. So I reckon Gulf War 2 has ended. Now the enemy is different, in the form of dozens of groups, so I rekcon those who fight the coalition soldiers are militants/guerillas but those who choose to bomb unarmed civilians and murder Iraqi Security Forces are terrorists.

I wouldnt go as far as to say that thier is a civil war taking place, because Iraqis are generally not killling other Iraqis. Most of the Iraqis who are dying are being killed by foreign extremists, who label them as traitors, although they just want a safe and stable country to live in.
sneaky beaky

Post by sneaky beaky »

The point is - that it is still war. People are being killed!
It doesn't matter what ever you call it a, Police Action, or whatever, the British Forces on the ground are still fighting. And still being killed!
It is just a political justification of what is going on.!! And this goverment will use any sort of lies to justify the current engagement in Iraq.
I feel sad for our hard pressed Armed Forces.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.
Griswald

Post by Griswald »

This is a difficult one to define isn't it?

Tab, that was a valid point about ask yourself if War has been declared.

And that leads me to think that yes there is a War on and we are participating and peacekeeping in it.

The logic behind this is that collectively these militant groups have declared a Holy War and we are trying to fight that, our Armed Forces out trying to intercept threat, preempt threat, fight and defend where necessary.

I don't think we are at War with the Iraqi people but Iraq and other areas in the middle east are being used as a theatre of War by collectively, the militant fighters, the ideology they follow, the insurgency and a whole host of other islamic people.

Don't get me wrong here I am not anti Islamic, I have met plenty of muslims and have got on with them but I do think this is a modern version of the crusades here, I think in many years to come whatever the outcome to all this all these battles being fought will be recognized under one collective era of Islamic/Western war.